help....sleep....help

Old October 10th 06, 03:20 PM posted to misc.kids
FREDDYPD

Default help....sleep....help

I don't want to complain too much, because I know my kids have great
sleep habits. My question is, my 3 year old son has always slept well.
About 2 months ago he started waking up at night. I think it was
allergies. The allergies have passed, but he still wakes up 1-3 times
per night. He says things like "me miss you". We tried talking to him
before bedtime about waking up when the sun comes out. We've added a
night light, bedtime bath,music, vaporizer and nothing seems to work.We
tried talking to him during the night when he wakes us up. We have even
taken things away from him in the morning such as a favorite toy or TV
time. (and rewarded him when he sleeps well). We have even tried to
ignore him and let him cry it out for a few minutes, but he climbs out
of his crib.
Any ideas or suggestions? Don't mind waking up at all when the kids are
sick, but its not fun when they are well.

Old October 10th 06, 04:20 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"FREDDYPD" wrote:

[...]

Just each time he wakes up, put him back to bed. Ignore the 'me miss
you' thing. DON'T talk to him. DON'T try to reason with him. DON'T
take things away from him. Just without any expression of sympathy at
all, put him back to bed - It's time to sleep, and then leave. Keep
doing that. Be stern and short with him and not loving and
sympathetic. Let him know that you don't like it when he does that,
but don't overdo it.

Old October 10th 06, 05:41 PM posted to misc.kids
Catherine Woodgold

It's normal for children to want to be with their
parents, not to be alone. People who were happy falling
asleep alone got eaten up by tigers. It's a normal
instinct to want to feel safe by being near people.
Even most adults prefer to sleep with another person
(I think), but in children this instinct can tend to
involve much more extreme fear and loneliness.

One idea is to put the crib in the same room where you're
sleeping.

Old October 10th 06, 05:59 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie

"FREDDYPD" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

When he gets up, return him to his bed with as little interaction as
possible. Rinse and repeat as much as necessary until he gets that it is
just not worth it.

Old October 10th 06, 06:00 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie

"Catherine Woodgold" wrote in message

It's normal for children to want to be with their
parents, not to be alone. People who were happy falling
asleep alone got eaten up by tigers.

Thank God we have these things called societies and houses now. But then how
did our alone sleeping genes survive!?!

It's a normal
instinct to want to feel safe by being near people.
Even most adults prefer to sleep with another person
(I think), but in children this instinct can tend to
involve much more extreme fear and loneliness.

I read once that studies demonstrate otherwise though I cannot remembe
where.

Old October 12th 06, 03:04 PM posted to misc.kids
Catherine Woodgold

"Stephanie" ) writes:
"Catherine Woodgold" wrote in message
It's a normal
instinct to want to feel safe by being near people.
Even most adults prefer to sleep with another person
(I think), but in children this instinct can tend to
involve much more extreme fear and loneliness.

I read once that studies demonstrate otherwise though I cannot remembe
where.

I suppose there are a lot more adults who feel extreme
fear and loneliness on sleeping alone than the number
who usually admit it. :-) I still believe it tends
to be more of a small-child problem. Regardless, it is
still a problem when it occurs.
Old October 12th 06, 03:35 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie

"Stephanie" ) writes:
"Catherine Woodgold" wrote in message
It's a normal
instinct to want to feel safe by being near people.
Even most adults prefer to sleep with another person
(I think), but in children this instinct can tend to
involve much more extreme fear and loneliness.

I read once that studies demonstrate otherwise though I cannot remembe
where.

I suppose there are a lot more adults who feel extreme
fear and loneliness on sleeping alone than the number
who usually admit it. :-) I still believe it tends
to be more of a small-child problem. Regardless, it is
still a problem when it occurs.

Sure. But fear is not the only cause of night wakings. Your chategorizaion
sounded extreme to me.

Old October 12th 06, 07:40 PM posted to misc.kids
FREDDYPD

Thanks for all the support. He is still waking up about every other
night. Its all business and no talking when we go in there.
Unfortunately our older daughter was sick last night and I think that
woke him up. We just can't win!

Sleep and older children Sue General 480 May 10th 06 11:39 AM
will he ever sleep? Gilbey and Susie Breastfeeding 1 March 20th 06 09:39 PM
BF to sleep Doug Breastfeeding 26 November 8th 05 11:59 AM
Sleep POLL Jo Breastfeeding 34 November 3rd 05 02:29 AM
Educators are starting to hear the ticking of sleepy teens' body clocks Ablang General 0 September 10th 05 05:54 AM