potty training

Old March 21st 07, 07:38 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated
RachyRach84

Default potty training

hi, i have a son who is 6 yrs old and was potty trained at the age of
26mths, he was no trouble at all, he took to it immediatly. although i
say potty trained, he actually used the toilet. which obviously made
it easier for when we was out that he would be able to use the toilet
anywhere. But, my daughter is 23mths now, and is due to start play
school in may. but children have to be "dry" before they can start. i
may sound stupid, but my son was sleeping in a junior bed when he
trained so he was able to get out of bed and use the toilet. my
daughter is still in a cot, and i am concerned as to how i should
start training her to use the potty/toilet. i dont want to push her
before she is ready, but at the same time i dont want her to miss out
of playschool. As i feel building relationships with other children,
and learning the simple things like to share, is important.
I really am unsure as to what i should do. if anyone has any ideas i
would love to hear from you.
thanks.

Old March 22nd 07, 01:30 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Kevin Karplus

On 2007-03-21, RachyRach84 wrote:
But, my daughter is 23mths now, and is due to start play
school in may. but children have to be "dry" before they can start. i
may sound stupid, but my son was sleeping in a junior bed when he
trained so he was able to get out of bed and use the toilet. my
daughter is still in a cot, and i am concerned as to how i should
start training her to use the potty/toilet. i dont want to push her
before she is ready, but at the same time i dont want her to miss out
of playschool. As i feel building relationships with other children,
and learning the simple things like to share, is important.

Some kids learn early, some late. It is quite common for a child at
23 months to still be in diapers. If the playschool is requiring kids
to be dry at that age, perhaps you should look for a different school
that is more aware of the normal range of development. (It sounds to
me like they are just too lazy to change diapers, which is also not a
good sign.)

Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus

Old March 23rd 07, 06:03 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Jeff

"RachyRach84" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Kids often stay dry during the day, but not at night. Staying dry at night
also involves waking up when you need to pee, which most kids don't do until
months or years after they learn to pee in the potty.

Don't worry about nighttime dryness. That will happen when the time is
right, just as will daytime dryness.

Jeff

Old March 23rd 07, 06:04 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Larry Mcmahan

In article .com,
says...
[...]

Hi. This is the first post in this ng I have seen in a while.

I have some ideas, but they are just that and not guaranteed to work...

First, I think it is useful to separate daytime training from nighttime
training in your mind, and perhaps to also separate wetting from
elimination, although you often doing the same thing works for multiple
goals...

One thing that we found effective (especially from 1 1/2 yrs to 2 1/2
years was to let them run around the house (or yard!) naked. This gave
them more awareness (and control) over when they had to go. Beyond
that, in our case, it was just a question of letting the child take the
lead.

How much awareness does your DD have now? Does she tell you when her
diapers are wet during the day? Does she ever tell you when she has
to pee. Usually they control this first. As for elimination, we have
found that having their bottom bare while they are learning is the
quickest, easiest, and in the long run, less messy way to go.

The reason I suggest this is that I thing it is easier to do nighttime
training once they have been daytime trained, and they are often
capable of taking this step by themselves.

Hope this helps,
Larry

Old March 23rd 07, 12:52 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Beth Kevles

Hi --

If you decide that you need to push the toilet training (I'm one of
those people who have no issue with pushing it, by the way) the method
I've seen that works best is:

Remove all diapers etc. so your child is naked from the waist down
Make sure your child watches whe YOU use the toilet
Have a small (portable) toilet handy
reward for toilet use, even when unsuccessful or too late. gradually
switch to rewarding for small increments of increased success.
Ply child with plenty of fluids so as to offer lots of opportunity for
lots of toileting.
Expect messes for 3-5 days.
Offer ONLY positive encouragement. don't tie the toileting experience
to anything except the immediate, small reward. (stickers, M&Ms,
whatever suits your child.)
Clean carpet and floors when done. :-)

There's a book called something like "Toilet Training in 1 Day" that's
actually pretty good. You can probably get it at your local library.

If your child gets upset, by the way, back off and wait at least a few
weeks or longer before trying again. An upset child will be very
resistant to toilet training.

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Old March 27th 07, 03:59 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated
RachyRach84

On 22 Mar, 13:30, Kevin Karplus wrote:
On 2007-03-21, RachyRach84 wrote:

[...]

hi there, thanx for your reply. where i come from it is actually
standard that the child is dry. i have looked into other playschools
because i thought the same, but all playschools within a 15 mile
radius of where i live request the same.( well all playschools that
are listed). i really am concerned taht I DONT WANT TO PUSH HER, but
like i said i feel playschool is an important part of my child
developing. and really dont want her tomiss out because of me. xx

Potty training ChitaShines Pregnancy 43 April 15th 06 12:40 AM
Potty-training Mo General 2 February 23rd 06 02:33 PM
potty training Marie General 19 November 5th 04 03:00 PM
need help potty training!! stef General 2 January 13th 04 03:45 AM