shave or not

Old October 16th 05, 08:35 PM
Graciesmom

Default shave or not

Oh my gosh! I have thought this same thing! Funny. I'm about 38 weeks
now, so I can't see down there. I had to use a mirror. I suppose it
won't be as important to me when I'm in labor, but I like to be neat
and trim in that area.

Old October 16th 05, 10:01 PM
Bryna

April & Bump wrote:
Hi all

Ok I think most of you know me now so hopefully you wont think I am a trol
when I ask the following question!!! Well I am due at the end of January and
I have some weired but have to be asked questions coming up. One of these
questions is near to your due date would you fully shave down below or just
be trim and proper?

I'm planning on going for a full bikini wax a couple of weeks before
I'm due. I did that with my last baby and I felt *much* cleaner and
less icky afterward. Just one of those little things that made me feel
more human those first days after giving birth.

Bryna

Old October 17th 05, 12:28 AM
Jamie Clark

Shave your pubic hair off? Why? You don't even need to trim if you don't
want to. I wouldn't do any more than you normally do. That includes
shaving your legs or armpits. This isn't a beauty contest, it's giving
birth. Doctors, nurses and midwives have seen it all, and have a lot more
to concentrate on, or comment on (out loud or in their heads) than the state
of your pubes.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old October 17th 05, 02:38 AM
Mum of Two

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
Shave your pubic hair off? Why? You don't even need to trim if you don't
want to. I wouldn't do any more than you normally do. That includes
shaving your legs or armpits. This isn't a beauty contest, it's giving
birth. Doctors, nurses and midwives have seen it all, and have a lot more
to concentrate on, or comment on (out loud or in their heads) than the
state of your pubes.

It could be a modesty/confidence thing. Isn't that why we wear makeup? It's
not as though virtually anyone else notices or cares. I trimmed rather than
shaved, shaved my legs and had a pedicure c/o my mother & sister. I doubt it
impressed my midwife any, lol, but it made me feel good since I was already
huge, hot and tired. Each to their own on this one.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old October 17th 05, 03:50 AM
Bryna

Jamie Clark wrote:
Shave your pubic hair off? Why? You don't even need to trim if you don't
want to. I wouldn't do any more than you normally do. That includes
shaving your legs or armpits. This isn't a beauty contest, it's giving
birth. Doctors, nurses and midwives have seen it all, and have a lot more
to concentrate on, or comment on (out loud or in their heads) than the state
of your pubes.
--

That's certainly true! As a style issue it's probably a moot point
(although if it gives the mom-to-be some peace of mind pre-labor, no

Bryna

Old October 17th 05, 04:27 AM
Snittens

"April & Bump" wrote in message
Hi all

Ok I think most of you know me now so hopefully you wont think I am a trol
when I ask the following question!!! Well I am due at the end of January
and I have some weired but have to be asked questions coming up. One of
these questions is near to your due date would you fully shave down below
or just be trim and proper?

delurking

I had a scheduled c-section, and was specifically told NOT to shave, that
they will take care of it. Unfortunately during pregnancy, I grew belly
hair (and yes, it's still there, ugh!) and I had been wondering if I should
go ahead and shave it. I'm glad the nurse came out and said it so I didn't
have to ask. They also shaved like the top portion of my "lady area". I
know you're not planning on a c-section, but it might be a good idea not to
shave just in case you have an emergency one. I would trim if it makes you
feel less self-conscious.
Funny memory this brought up. I had PUPPS real bad and I remember how good
it felt when the nurse shaved my belly, like it was giving it a good
scratch.

-Kelly

Old October 17th 05, 06:17 AM
Mum of Two

"Snittens" wrote in message

"April & Bump" wrote in message
[...]

I guess maybe if you do it in advance, you risk getting infected hair
follicles? Not sure, just guessing.

Old October 17th 05, 04:59 PM
oregonchick

"Mum of Two" wrote in message
[...]

But I think the thing is to NOT feel obligated to do something you normally
don't do.

Old October 17th 05, 05:40 PM
Jamie Clark

"oregonchick" wrote in message

"Mum of Two" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly. If you don't normally wear make-up, I wouldn't recommend that you
put on a "face" for delivery. If you are "earthy crunchy" and don't shave
anything, then I wouldn't recommend a bikini wax just for delivery. Sure, a
trim could keep things cleaner post delivery, but so do frequent showers and
baths, for those who have never put a trimmer to those areas. Do whatever
it is that you normally do, that feels good and right to you.

I normally shave my lower legs, but not my upper thighs or bikini region. I
only do that if I'm going to the beach or pool, and then even not required.
I don't know that it would occur to me to shave my legs or upper
thigh/bikini region if I was going to deliver tomorrow. It's just not
important to me. There is no wrong or right answer, only what feels normal
and right to you.

Old October 17th 05, 06:03 PM
V.

April & Bump wrote:

LOL, I had the same thought earlier in pregnancy, but now that I'm 34 wks
along I can tell you that I couldn't shave anything down there without
taking my life in my hands! Not only can I not see, I can barely reach
without getting into unstable positions. Plus you have to consider the
itch of regrowth or ingrown hairs coupled with recovery from perineal
trauma.
I'm going for just trimming up with electric clippers with a good safety
guard. No regrowth issues, and still keeps things cleaner with lochia,
etc.
Just to anticipate your next question , on the advice of several nurse
friends, I also intend to do an enema at home prior to going to the
hospital. I figure it can't really hurt and might make me less self
conscious about pushing. (although realistically it might make no
difference whatsoever on the "poop during pushing" issue...just give me a
false sense of security)

That's it for TMI for the day!
Amy
EDD 11/25/05

Hi V

Yeah your right actually, my feet have disapeered and I am beginning to be
top heavy so it might not be a safe option to shave with a razor, might just
go with the trim option.

As for the pooping advice LOL, with my 2nd son who was born naturally but
sadly we lost him, I gave no thought to pooping during the actually labour
and I couldnt honestly tell you if I did poop or not, apprarantly the body
emptys the bowels b4 labour anyhow so dont worry to much over that.

Good luck with your delivery, its nearly here, are you scared at all yet.
Its really funny because although I have done this 2 times before I am still
absolutely terrified and keep having panic attacks over the whole situation
and wishing the ground would open up and swallow me up so I dont have to
meet labour day

Actually, it's funny but the last few weeks I have just sort of calmed
down about the whole labor and delivery part. I'm feeling more
confident that the baby is OK and that I can handle labor. Reading
about natural labor has helped and I liked the Marie Mongan
HypnoBirthing book as well. When I do have panic attacks now, it's
more about "You want _me_ to take care of an infant full-time?". I
suppose that will pass too!
Amy

Shaving legs Sue General 68 August 7th 04 09:43 AM
Shaving legs Claire Petersky General (moderated) 2 July 15th 04 10:15 PM
POLL: Do you trim your pubes? Carla Pregnancy 11 April 29th 04 09:02 PM
why do they maryann Pregnancy 23 November 20th 03 06:50 PM
shaving your legs during pregnancy na Pregnancy 34 August 17th 03 02:43 PM