Solid frustrations

Old March 17th 04, 10:15 PM
Beth Kevles

Default Solid frustrations

Hi -

When my kids were teething as infants, I gave them infant ... motrin?
.... a pain reliever about 30 minutes before a meal. That gave them
enough relief that they'd be happy about eating.

Beyond that ... neither child had reflux (just food allergies) so I'll
leave the good advice to other parents.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old March 17th 04, 10:24 PM
Kereru

"She's A Goddess" wrote in message

"Kereru" wrote in message

Jeeze so my two and half year old isn't quite ready ;-)

Guess not Actually, I should take back this statement to the OP. I
think this is true of an eight month old who is generally refusing solids,
but not for one that has previously taken to them fine and has backed off

of
them.

I keep hearing this so I just had a quick check. On the jars of fruit I
checked and the baby rice and some other cereals thay were all higher or
about equal in calories than formula (which I would like to think is

roughly
the same as BM). Plus they contain things which the milk doesn't like

more
carbohydrates.

Well, a quick (ha-ha, it started out as quick!) check of
http://nat.crgq.com/nat2 gives the following data per ounce of each food:

Rice cereal (dry):
Calories: 110.85
Protein: 2.01 grams
Fat: 1.39 grams
Carbohydrates: 22 grams

Bananas (raw):
Calories: 26.08
Protein: .28 grams
Fat: .14 grams
Carbohydrates: 6.63 grams

Human milk, matu
Calories: 19.85
Protein: .28 grams
Fat: 1.25 grams
Carbohydrates: 1.96 grams

Enfamil infant formula:
Calories: 18.9
Protein: .38 grams
Fat: 1.01 grams
Carbohydrates: 2.08 grams

Sweet potatoes (strained baby food):
Calories: 15.88
Protein: .26 grams
Fat: .2 grams
Carbohydrates: 3.35 grams

Pears (baby food, strained):
Calories: 11.62
Protein: .09 grams
Fat: .06 grams
Carbohydrates: 3.06 grams

Spinach (baby food - creamed, strained):
Calories: 10.49
Protein: .71 grams
Fat: .37 grams
Carbohydrates: 1.62 grams

Carrots (baby food, strained):
Calories: 7.65
Protein: .23 grams
Fat: .03 grams
Carbohydrates: 1.7 grams

Green Beans (baby food, strained):
Calories: 7.09
Protein: .37 grams
Fat: .03 grams
Carbohydrates: 1.67 grams

Squash (baby food, strained):
Calories: 6.8
Protein: .23 grams
Fat: .06 grams
Carbohydrates: 1.59 grams

Points to note on the above data - bananas were not listed plain as a baby
food so I took the raw version. Strained and with tapioca they came in at
16.16 calories per ounce. A look at "junior" baby foods showed that they
had slightly higher calories, protein and fat but none of them made it
anywhere close to the range of breastmilk. Further, whole fruits and or
vegetables raw still don't come close. So, ounce by ounce rice cereal and
raw bananas have more calories than breastmilk and then formula. But,

most
kids will only eat three or four ounces of baby food per serving whereas
they'll eat anywhere from six to eight ounces of breastmilk or formula per
serving, and come back asking for more, more often.

So I can see why they would want to push some extra solids on top of

breast
milk if baby is losing weight.

Sure, on top of maybe. But not in place of. The numbers above definitely
bear that out.

Absolutely I agree that there would be no point replacing breastmilk with
anything.

I see that the breastmilk contains slightly less protein and carbohydrate
than the formula but in all the other catergories is slightly higher. The
difference was tiny. To me this would indicated that you would only need to
get a little bit of protein and carbs into baby via solids to make up the
tiny advantage that formula might have in those two areas. I don't see that
subsitituting formula for breastmilk would help at all.

If there was a low supply of breastmilk (and I know that this is very
uncommon) and baby would take no solids I guess then it would have to be
considered on top of breastmilk rather than instead of. I don't see any
point in replacing breastmilk.

Judy

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl (2 1/2 years) and O. Boy (8 1/2 months)

Old March 17th 04, 10:31 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

She's A Goddess wrote:
ounce by ounce rice cereal and
raw bananas have more calories than breastmilk and then formula.

But whose kid eats an ounce of dry rice cereal? That figure should be
adjusted for dilution into an ounce of prepared cereal. Now, if you're
preparing with bm or formula, the rice cereal will have more calories
than the liquid alone will. But if you use water, I'd think it would
have fewer.

Phoebe

Old March 17th 04, 10:54 PM
Lina

Default Update Solid frustrations

I called the ped who said that enough was enough and I should stop nursing
and give her high calorie formula which he would call in. I hung up on him
and am now looking for a new ped.
I called the interlologist who told me to come in on the 31st and to try the
Reminidine (Zantac) for now.
Then I tried all of your advice (everyone's. ) and offered her some of the
yam I was going to be eating in about five tiny cubes. She shoved them in
her mouth one at a time, chewed a bit and then swallowed.
Now she's eaten about 1/4 cup of them!!!!!! I'm not about to stop her. I'll
try some other foods later tonight for dinner.
We had one coughing episode but otherwise, she's been eating for about 15
minutes!
Thank you!
I love you all! This group rocks!!!!

Old March 17th 04, 11:03 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Lina wrote:

high calorie formula

If getting calories into her is a concern even once you get the reflux
under control, there is a thing called "human milk fortifier." Just
another bit of info that might come in handy.

Now she's eaten about 1/4 cup of them!!!!!!

Yay! Hooray! Go Alena!

Phoebe

Old March 17th 04, 11:06 PM
Lina

"Phoebe & Allyson" wrote in message
Lina wrote:

high calorie formula

If getting calories into her is a concern even once you get the reflux
under control, there is a thing called "human milk fortifier." Just
another bit of info that might come in handy.

Now she's eaten about 1/4 cup of them!!!!!!

Yay! Hooray! Go Alena!

Phoebe

I've heard a lot about it. I was looking into it as well. It's blooming
expensive... something like $1.45 per ounce of breastmilk.... yikes...

But I'd do it.

Old March 18th 04, 12:33 AM
She's A Goddess

She's A Goddess wrote:
ounce by ounce rice cereal and
raw bananas have more calories than breastmilk and then formula.

But whose kid eats an ounce of dry rice cereal? That figure should be
adjusted for dilution into an ounce of prepared cereal. Now, if you're
preparing with bm or formula, the rice cereal will have more calories
than the liquid alone will. But if you use water, I'd think it would
have fewer.

Why thank you for pointing this out. Duh on me. I just looked at their
choices (prepared with whole milk or dry) and chose dry. The dilution
factor didn't even enter into my brain, a whole ounce of dry cereal would
have to
make up a bowl mixed with something. So, I went back and looked at
"prepared with whole milk":

Calories: 32.6
Protein: 1.11 grams
Fat: 1.02 grams
Carbohydrates: 4.73 grams

Since an ounce of whole milk has less calories then breastmilk and formula
the cereal would be a bit higher prepared with one of those but not much and
of course would have to be much lower prepared with water.

Old March 18th 04, 12:35 AM
Kereru

"Lina" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
[...]

Well done. I am all for formula when it can help but I just don't see how it
would in your situation. If you get a few second opinions and they agree I
think in your place I would go for it. In other words, if it was going to
work I wouldn't beat myself up about using formula. I just don't see how
they think it would.

Formula plus breastmilk maybe but instead?

Judy