OT - when can they have salt and sugar

Old April 11th 04, 04:14 AM
teapot

Default OT - when can they have salt and sugar

I am finding it really difficult to get interesting food for the Moo
that has no salt or sugar unless I cook things myself. I want to
avoid sugar but if it's low down on the ingredients list when will it
be ok? Same with salt, it's in everything that isn't a special baby
food and doesn't cost a fortume!

Teapot
Old April 11th 04, 06:18 AM
Plissken

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
| I am finding it really difficult to get interesting food for the Moo
| that has no salt or sugar unless I cook things myself. I want to
| avoid sugar but if it's low down on the ingredients list when will it
| be ok? Same with salt, it's in everything that isn't a special baby
| food and doesn't cost a fortume!

A nutritionist told me that salt in things you buy is alright because they
don't eat a lot of it. They just don't recommending salting food before
giving it to baby. As for sugar, I haven't really heard anything and
occasionally give DD food with sugar in it (flavoured yoghurt, arrowroot
biscuits) since she was 10 months old. I don't give her a ton of sugar and
salt just a little here and there.

Nadene

Old April 12th 04, 07:54 PM
H Schinske

Nadene ) wrote:

A nutritionist told me that salt in things you buy is alright because they
don't eat a lot of it. They just don't recommending salting food before
giving it to baby.

I always felt almost the opposite, that processed food was apt to have a
horribly high amount of salt, far more than I would put in if I were cooking
it. So I would throw a trifle of salt in the Malt-o-meal or whatever I was
making them, but I just wouldn't feed them something like canned soup at all. I
did give them cheese, though, which is fairly high sodium (cow's milk has quite
a bit of sodium naturally, plus cheese is salted).

What kinds of things were you thinking of feeding him? Maybe it will turn out
they're not that high in sodium, or we can brainstorm alternatives, or
whatever.

--Helen
Old April 12th 04, 08:04 PM
Jacqui

H Schinske wibbled
Nadene wrote:

A nutritionist told me that salt in things you buy is alright
because they don't eat a lot of it. They just don't recommending
salting food before giving it to baby.

I always felt almost the opposite, that processed food was apt to
have a horribly high amount of salt, far more than I would put in
if I were cooking it.

It does. A bowl of *cornflakes* has the same salt content as brine! And
commercially-made adult food has a *lot* of unnecessary salt and sugar
in, so people on low-sodium diets have to be very careful. I'd look for
low-sodium versions of things if I was planning to give the baby
anything aimed at adults.

Jac
Old April 13th 04, 07:02 AM
Irrational Number

teapot wrote:
I am finding it really difficult to get interesting food for the Moo
that has no salt or sugar unless I cook things myself. I want to
avoid sugar but if it's low down on the ingredients list when will it
be ok? Same with salt, it's in everything that isn't a special baby
food and doesn't cost a fortume!

I've decided that I'll keep exclusively making
food for Pillbug until he's a year. He has a
lifetime to eat unhealthy foods, so while I can,
I'm going to make everything myself, with no
salt or sugar. I have never found anything
that I like (except for Gerber meats because
my meats come out powdery and I do want him
to get meats and there is no salt or sugar in
those jars), but I do like rice cake that I
break into little pieces for him.

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old April 13th 04, 05:18 PM
Anne Rogers

here's how I approach it, for things like cereals that often have high
salt, I buy the low salt version, for stuff like crackers which don't seem
to have much salt I give them freely. Also bread. I mainly give him stuff
I have prepared myself, but not specifically for him, he eats our main
meals, which I do not add salt too and I avoid using any ingredients such
as stock cubes. I'm sure he gets a low enough salt diet, as if I eat the
same as him without adding salt at the table I need to eat a bag of crisps
to avoid cramp through lack of salt.