Making a family vacation during the school year educational

Old March 12th 05, 03:46 PM
Banty

In article . com, shinypenny
says...

shinypenny wrote:

We are planning a 10 day trip to Japan this Spring, taking the kids

out
of school to do so.

P.s. any advice on traveling with 10 and 12 year olds also much
appreciated. We have traveled before with them, but never this far and
this long. Keeping them occupied on such a long flight is a concern.

I wouldn't hesitate to equip them with Gameboys or the like for the trip,
especially the flights. I try to monitor my son's video-game playing time so
that it is not too much, but travel is unpredictable and it's really good to
have that long-lasting distraction. I got one for my son for our trip to
England a year and a half ago when he was 11. It was great for the flights, and
for him to wind down at the end of the day.

I could also especially use advice on how to accomodate a picky eater.
DD10 says she will gladly eat nothing but white rice the entire time
without a single complaint, but this is something we're a little
worried about. My friends tell me there are plenty of American fast
food chains, and we're imagining it's a simple thing to grab her lunch
at one of those, and bring the bag along to someplace more interesting
for the rest of us. I have already decided I'd rather do that, than
ruin the trip by engaging in conflict at every meal trying to encourage
her to try the local fare! If she does, great, but otherwise I'm going
to turn my head.

Picky eaters with (presumably) Western eating habits going to Japan. My head
hurts
Maybe try posting to a travel group - I do know Japan has American fast food
stores, and one can find something like skiaki and subsist on that for a few
days.

Banty

Old March 12th 05, 03:47 PM
Jeff

"Sue" wrote in message
And
yes making the trip as educational as you can is certainly a good idea.

This is true whether or not the trip occurs during the school year.

Jeff

Old March 12th 05, 03:48 PM
shinypenny

Banty wrote:
Since I'm the official bitch who goes on and on about the Evuls of

Taking Kids
out of School, I'll ask just one question because truly, I have only

one - - is
there a reason why this couldn't happen in the summer??

Yes. My friends spend their entire summer here in the U.S. Summers in
Japan are hot and humid, and they are fortunate enough that they can
afford to get out of the country and go travel in the U.S., visit us,
and their relatives. Since they moved back to their country a few years
ago, they've been to visit us three times. It is our turn to go see
them, and we've been plotting this for over 5 years.

Of course I guess we could go when they are not there, but having to
rent a hotel drives up the cost substantially and is not in the budget.
Instead, we will be staying in their home in Kyoto, and April is the
prime time to travel there, with cherry blossoms in full bloom. We did
consider going in Feb when fares are a lot cheaper, but I figure if we
are going to do this, we are going to do it right.

I also did not want to hold off until the kids were out of high school.
I did hold off these past few years because I was waiting until they
were old enough for the trip to make an impression (I was 13 when I
first traveled out of the country), yet not so old that the memory of
their dear friends was distant and foggy.

These kids shared a house with us for 5 years, attending the same
school, and they grew up like cousins. The dad often worked long hours
(he is a researcher) and I was freshly divorced, so my friend and I got
into the habit of eating dinner everynight as a family - two moms and
five kids (my two girls, and her two boys and one girl). The kids are
growing up fast now and she and I worry that if we don't do this now,
they will have drifted apart and not be able to connect again like they
have in the past.

What is the policy in your school district, and what have you heard

of others'
experience with this issue?

The school strongly recommends not taking the kids out for family
vacations during the school year. Rightly or wrongly, I always
interpreted that to mean, "Disney, beach vacations, and skiing trips,"
and not necessarily something like going to Japan.

I do travel a lot for business, and don't take them along with me
unless it coincides with their break.

The missing information is the policy of your school district.

That's your
first step.

Just FYI, other than the timing being possibly unecessary, this is

the kind of
thing that doens't get my bitch. But unfortunately your way may be

paved with
thorns and rocks by those who would put a yearly ski trip in the same

category.

Yes, I understand the distinction. I would never take my kids out for a
trip to Disney or a ski trip (well, truth is, I've been to Disney
myself on business, and I would never, ever go back - waste of time
IMO. Their dad is free to accomplish that life event someday if he
wishes - I hated it and saw no value in such a vacation).

The only other time we missed school for travel is when we recently
flew out this year for a funeral. Although the kids didn't really have
a close relationship with my grandmother, and I hesitated on the value
of disrupting their attendance, it was likely the last time I would get
back to that state ever, and it was an opportunity to see relatives
that haven't seen the kids since they were infants. In retrospect, it
was not a mistake - it was a wonderful trip that turned out to be a
family reunion, and the kids got to see where their family is
originally from.

jen

Old March 12th 05, 03:52 PM
Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang

"Banty" wrote in message
In article .com,
shinypenny
says...

I've been meaning to start this thread, now after seeing some comments
on another thread, I worry I might be opening up a hornet's nest with
this question, but here goes anyway.

bzzzzzzzz - bzzzzzzzzzzzz - bzzzzzzzzzzzz

(OK, bad imitation of hornet sounds)

We are planning a 10 day trip to Japan this Spring, taking the kids out
of school to do so. This is something we've dreamed about for a few
years, and are finally making the dream come true. I have not told the
school yet, but I have already booked the tickets so there is no
backing out, so don't even try to guilt me. :-)

I do feel a little bad because since booking the tickets my kids , have
both had bouts of illness and so they've already missed a few days of
school. We also missed a day when we had to drop everything and fly out
to my grandmother's funeral. The girls have always had nearly perfect
attendance records until this year, and adding the vacation time into
this, it is quite a departure from their usual track record.

Since I'm the official bitch who goes on and on about the Evuls of Taking
Kids
out of School, I'll ask just one question because truly, I have only
one - - is
there a reason why this couldn't happen in the summer??

With that said, both girls are getting excellent marks this year, and
it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. We will be staying with close
friends of ours who have kids the same age. The girls will even get a
chance to attend a Japanese school with their friends for a day or two.

We are all very excited and have been studying up on Japanese culture
and customs, and planning out our must-see's while we are there. In
addition, DD12 happens to be doing a unit in social studies on Asian
cultures, and she's chosen Japan as her country to study. Nice fit!

Here is where I need suggestions. I have been wondering if I should
approach the teachers, explain our plan, and ask that they help me make
the trip as educational as possible, by assigning some homework that
complements our trip and what they will be missing out on in class
while we're gone. We will have plenty of downtime on the plane to and
from during which they can do these assignments.

What is the policy in your school district, and what have you heard of
others'
experience with this issue?

I've already suggested to the girls that I get them each a journal, and
that on the plane going, I suggested they write down in it what they
imagine Japan will be like, based on all they've heard and researched
before our trip. Then after the trip, on the plane ride back, they can
re-read this essay and write a new one that talks about what surprised
them most, what was different than they expected, etc. The girls liked
this idea and they said they would also spend 10-15 minutes each night
journaling to record their adventures while we are there.

The goal is not to overload them with busy work that interferes with
enjoying and making the most of our time there, but rather, think of
little "assignments" that help them be more observant while we are
there, connect the dots by experiencing what they've already learned in
a book, etc. I am looking for things DF and I can do on the trip to
make the adventure not just fun, but educational too. For example,
we've already considered that money exchange would be a good place for
an informal teaching opportunity on economics and currencies, etc.

Suggestions?

The missing information is the policy of your school district. That's
your
first step.

Just FYI, other than the timing being possibly unecessary, this is the
kind of
thing that doens't get my bitch. But unfortunately your way may be paved
with
thorns and rocks by those who would put a yearly ski trip in the same
category.

I tend to side with Banty and the "don't take your kids out of school"
bunch. Especially in this day and age of testing testing testing. Right
now, in DD's school, 2 or 3 grades are going through the state exams and I
think the grades that are not taking the state exams will be getting tests
later in the year. Missing 4 days doesn't sound like much to working adults
but it's a week of school to children. That may or may not be significant
despite all your efforts to make the trip a "learning experience".

It seems you put the cart before the cart - couldn't you have talked to the
teacher about the school schedule before booking this long anticipated trip?
I would at the very least just find out what the teacher will be covering
during the missed days and try to go over it with the children (homeschool
in essence) during the 10 days away. Not much fun but that would be the
price for missing school.

FWIW, as a child my family went on several overseas trips usually lasting
4-6 weeks and they were always during the summer. I think I started school
late (2 days) one year but aside from that, we never missed school due to
family trips. My parents did this because they believed school is more
important than any trip (even to their own families overseas). All of us
kids could have easily missed a week or two of school and not have suffered
academically.

Jeanne

Old March 12th 05, 03:55 PM
shinypenny

Jeff wrote:
"Sue" wrote in message
And
yes making the trip as educational as you can is certainly a good

idea.

This is true whether or not the trip occurs during the school year.

Jeff

I agree!

Meeting the school's homework requirements aside, does anyone have any
tips and advice on little ways we can help to make this trip
educational?

For example, when I first traveled abroad to London, I remember going
around to all the typical sights with my parents. I barely remember
anything about those sights, their historical significance, etc. I only
remember going to them because I have the photos. :-)

What brought the trip alive in my mind, and made it something I'll
never forget, were the little things. Like going to McDonald's and
realizing they fry the burgers and everyone eats the french fries with
a fork and knife! Or being amazed at how polite the taxi drivers where
compared to here in the U.S.

Of course, I expect we will still do the sights, but how can I make
this part more memorable? I don't want them to only remember having
sore feet.

jen

Old March 12th 05, 04:00 PM
shinypenny

Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang wrote:
Missing 4 days doesn't sound like much to working adults
but it's a week of school to children.

I agree with this too. It is essentially a full week, considering a day
or maybe even two for jet lag adjustment in there.

It seems you put the cart before the cart - couldn't you have talked

to the
teacher about the school schedule before booking this long

anticipated trip?

Fair question. The truth? I didn't want anyone to talk me out of it.

I've been talking myself out of the trip for the past few years for one
reason or another, and something this year in my gut told me to stop
doing that and just book the tickets already, that it was right for our
family, and that if I didn't, I'd always regret it.

jen

Old March 12th 05, 04:03 PM
P. Tierney

"Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang" wrote in
message ...

I tend to side with Banty and the "don't take your kids out of school"
bunch. Especially in this day and age of testing testing testing.

No disrespect, but the above to me is a quote that I would put
into advertisements were I promoting private or homeschooling.
Especially since you also state...

Old March 12th 05, 04:15 PM
Banty

In article .com, shinypenny
says...

Banty wrote:
[...]

Sounds like they're leaving the door open for your kind of trip to me, too.

I do travel a lot for business, and don't take them along with me
unless it coincides with their break.

Well, it's not do-or-die necessary (lots of people point to 'affordability'),
but since you don't push stuff you give me nothing to bitch about.

(NOW what am I going to do?? I'm going to be soo unfilfilled in my appointed
role...

Your trip sounds great.

Banty

Old March 12th 05, 04:24 PM
dkhedmo

You could photocopy any needed textbook material.

-K-

Old March 12th 05, 04:32 PM
Jeff

"shinypenny" wrote in message
oups.com...

(...)

Of course, I expect we will still do the sights, but how can I make
this part more memorable? I don't want them to only remember having
sore feet.

Go to Google and search Japan + visiting.

Go to the New York Times web page (www.nytimes.com) and search for articles
about visiting Japan. There should be magazines you can search that have
articles about visiting Japan.

Talk to you travel agent. If you are a member of AAA, visit them, too.

There are a bunch of newsgroups that have japan in the name. You should be
able to find newsgroups where people can answer your questions.

BTW, it will be very helpful if we knew where in Japan you are visiting.

Japan is a very big country. Imagine if you said you were visiting New York.
Are you visiting the ski areas, Niagra Falls, NYC, the Anderondaks, New
Jersey (ok, that is another state, but I think of it as a suburb ;-) )?

Jeff

jen