Swing addict

Old December 11th 03, 09:02 AM
Kereru

Default Swing addict

"Cheryl S." wrote in message
"Kereru" wrote in message
Hi, my son is nine weeks old an during the day he
will only sleep in the mechanical swing (the type
with batteries that swings itself). I have tried everything
including letting him cry for a while, to get him to
sleep in his cot but he won't have a bar of it. He
sleeps fine in his cot at night.

So I am wondering, anyone out there had a kid who
loved the swing so much. Did the proverbial excrement
hit the fan when the kid grew out of it? I live in New
Zealand and no one I know uses a swing but I gather
they are popular in the states, so maybe one of you guys
will have had some experience with them.

My son is 14 weeks old and this describes him exactly. I haven't
bothered to try and get him to nap in his crib/cot though. If I am
upstairs when he falls asleep during the day, I put him down in the crib
just to see what happens and try to start moving in that direction.
That happened this morning, and he did sleep in his crib for a while,
but I'm not upstairs much during the day so it's easier to have him nap
in the swing anyway.

I had noticed from pretty early on, maybe 6 weeks old or so, that he
preferred being upright during the day. About three weeks ago he was
diagnosed with acid reflux so I suppose that being more comfortable
sitting up was an early indication of that. You might want to watch for
signs of that. What finally caused me to take him in was that he had a
couple of burps where he cried harder after the burp than before it, and
I had heard liquid gurgle up in his throat. Now I give him one small
dose of Mylanta each morning and so far he has been fine with just that,
though I was also given a prescription for Zantac for him.

Funny you should mention it actually. He's not had any diagnosis but I do
have him on anti-reflux formula. He's much happier on it than regular
formula. I asked the Dr about it and she said that she didn't think he had
reflux but if he was happier on it and since he was already on formula (so
it wasn't as if I was swapping breastfeeding for anti-reflux formula) that
it couldn't do any harm. I wonder if the Dr is wrong about him not having
reflux. She based her opinion on the fact that he never spills but I have
heard of silent reflux and he often had milky spit and cried when he burped
or was laid flat.

Judy

--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 8 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old December 11th 03, 02:04 PM
Cheryl S.

"Kereru" wrote in message
I wonder if the Dr is wrong about him not having
reflux. She based her opinion on the fact that he
never spills but I have heard of silent reflux and he
often had milky spit and cried when he burped
or was laid flat.

He sounds exactly like my son and our Dr did diagnose reflux. Weird.
Jaden doesn't spit up much either but I could clearly hear the liquid
come up into his throat and go back down the times he cried after
burping; he didn't spit up. Once it even made him cough and gag.
Silent reflux is actually worse since the liquid travels through the
esophagus twice for each episode, rather than just going up and out, so
it does twice the damage. Since your son's happy with the anti-reflux
formula though, it probably doesn't matter what the doctor thinks,
you've already found something that works.

Old December 11th 03, 08:24 PM
Kereru

"Cheryl S." wrote in message
"Kereru" wrote in message
[...]

That's what I think, it's working so I'll keep it up :-)

Judy