my dd's eating woes (rant - x-posted)

Old November 11th 03, 03:47 PM
ted

Default my dd's eating woes (rant - x-posted)

My 8 month old dd doesn't eat/drink much. I nurse her at night and
during the day she gets formula. For the whole day, she drinks about
15 oz max of formula. Most of the time it's less than that. I don't
think she even nurses anything at night. It's more comfort sucking
than nursing. Feeding her is a big chore. My inlaws and dh and I put a
skit for her with all her toys for every feeding. She gets solids
twice. Each time it's 3-4 tablespoons of cereal with fruit or juice or
mashed veggies.

She doesn't sleep at all during the day and at nights also the sleep
is very light.

She weighed at 16lb for her 6 moths wbv. about 28inches long. The
weight seems okay.

I dont' know if this feeding pattern is a problem or not. If this is a
problem, can the ped recommend any tonic or tablets for appetite?

I wrote about this before. I don't know what else to do. It's just
that I never heard of another 8 month old drinking only 4oz at a
feeding. Even that takes more than an hour to complete. I'm just
worried.
Thanks for reading.
Old November 11th 03, 10:30 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

"ted" wrote in message
om...
My 8 month old dd doesn't eat/drink much. I nurse her at night and
during the day she gets formula. For the whole day, she drinks about
15 oz max of formula. Most of the time it's less than that. I don't
think she even nurses anything at night. It's more comfort sucking
than nursing. Feeding her is a big chore. My inlaws and dh and I put a
skit for her with all her toys for every feeding. She gets solids
twice. Each time it's 3-4 tablespoons of cereal with fruit or juice or
mashed veggies.

Don't underestimate the amount she may be getting during your night
nursings. It may be more than
you think.

As for the skit, drop it. Keep the feedings as matter of fact as you can.
The more
of a to-do you make the whole eating thing, the worse things will probably
get.
Babies are very good at getting the nutrition they need (it's the adults who
need help),
so if she's not eating all her cereal or veggies, try not to worry. Back
off the solids and increase
the amount of time you nurse.

She doesn't sleep at all during the day and at nights also the sleep
is very light.

My daughter was like this as well at 8 months. It may not be "normal" but
it happens.

She weighed at 16lb for her 6 moths wbv. about 28inches long. The
weight seems okay.

She's a very long baby, but the weight isn't particularly low. Is she
happy? Hitting the milestones within a reasonable timeframe?

I think the parent mantra should be: as long as baby is happy and thriving,
don't worry.
What did your pediatrician say when s/he saw the weight and length? Was he
worried about
the growth trend?

Is there a nurse-practitioner at the doctor's office you can call and talk
about your concerns?
Our hospital has an Ask-a-Nurse number to call if I have questions like
this.

I dont' know if this feeding pattern is a problem or not. If this is a
problem, can the ped recommend any tonic or tablets for appetite?

Don't know, but I doubt it.

I wrote about this before. I don't know what else to do. It's just
that I never heard of another 8 month old drinking only 4oz at a
feeding. Even that takes more than an hour to complete. I'm just
worried.

How much do other babies drink at a feeding?

Hope things turn out for the bestt.

Jeanne

Old November 13th 03, 02:30 PM
Allie

could she eat small items on her own? cherrios, cooked carrots/peas
etc? I found that Patrick eats more if I am not paying attention. I
would put him in the chair and wash dishes while he ate his meals. He
also never drank his whole bottle, but now he can't get enough rice
milk to satisfy himself - I have to limit it. (he is 21 months now)

Allie

Old November 13th 03, 11:59 PM
calliaz

ted wrote:

My 8 month old dd doesn't eat/drink much. I nurse her at night and
during the day she gets formula. For the whole day, she drinks about
15 oz max of formula. Most of the time it's less than that. I don't
think she even nurses anything at night. It's more comfort sucking
than nursing. Feeding her is a big chore. My inlaws and dh and I put a
skit for her with all her toys for every feeding. She gets solids
twice. Each time it's 3-4 tablespoons of cereal with fruit or juice or
mashed veggies.

My son is almost 9 months old and also doesn't eat well. We
got concerned when his weight was static for more than 2
months. It turns out that he has reflux and has learned
that eating=pain so he doesn't eat what he should. Now that
he's on Prevacid, he's eating much better. However, he's
still not that enthused about solids.

She doesn't sleep at all during the day and at nights also the sleep
is very light.

I would try and help her sleep more, but it's not a big
concern.

She weighed at 16lb for her 6 moths wbv. about 28inches long. The
weight seems okay.

That's probably around 50th percentile, perfectly normal.
She'll look a little thinner because she's tall. My son is
the same way.

I dont' know if this feeding pattern is a problem or not. If this is a
problem, can the ped recommend any tonic or tablets for appetite?

Ask the pediatrician if she is concerned about her weight.
If not, and she's not showing other symptoms of a problem,
stop worrying. If she's showing other signs of reflux,
there are treatments.

I wrote about this before. I don't know what else to do. It's just
that I never heard of another 8 month old drinking only 4oz at a
feeding. Even that takes more than an hour to complete. I'm just
worried.

Carter will regularly still take 2 oz bottles when his
reflux is bad. When he is well he takes between 4 and 6
ounces. I think the *average* for this age is around 6-8
ounces, but you don't need to worry if your baby isn't
average.

Jennifer in AZ
mom to Carter, 9 months
Old November 14th 03, 03:33 PM
Ilse Witch

ted wrote:

I dont' know if this feeding pattern is a problem or not. If this is a
problem, can the ped recommend any tonic or tablets for appetite?

As long as she is healthy, gaining weight and behaving normally, I would
be very reluctant to give her anything. Infants are very good at eating
just what they need and nothing more. The difference between DS and our
friends daughter has always been a clear demonstration of that fact.
DS eats about the same amount as a 3 y/o, but he is tall and heavy for
his age and needs the energy. Their daughter hardly eats a thing, and
gains weight only very very slowly. But she is healthy and growing,
just a lot smaller than DH, even though she is older.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (16m)