sling question for parents of twins (x-posted)

Old November 12th 03, 08:49 AM
Hope

Default sling question for parents of twins (x-posted)

hi all,

I have a question for those of you with twins or who may know: what
do you think is the best style sling/baby carrier for wearing twins
(both atthe same time)? The babies in question are 5-6 lbs each and
were premies. I don;t want to sell the lady a Maya if it's not a good
solution to this particular problem. She asked me about wearing both
babies in one sling... anyone done this with tiny ones? I'd be
grateful for any input.

TIA

Hope

--
Riley 1993 c/s
Tara 2002 HBAC
Old November 12th 03, 09:16 AM

In misc.kids.breastfeeding Hope wrote:

I have a question for those of you with twins or who may know: what
do you think is the best style sling/baby carrier for wearing twins

were premies. I don;t want to sell the lady a Maya if it's not a good
solution to this particular problem.

I love my Maya, but I can not imagine carrying two little ones in it.

My first was small, and my big problem with slings was how she'd
disappear into it. I was very grateful to find the Maya, and have
tried to recommend it at all opportunities. Thinking about two, I don't
vision a good way to arrange, but out of all slings, I think a Maya is
the best hope. The padding and other things that I found troubling
would be even more so with two.

If one is committed to wearing two babies, maybe two slings, or a sling
and a 'pack' carrier would be better?

JeninTX
Old November 12th 03, 10:24 AM
Anne Rogers

I have a question for those of you with twins or who may know: what
do you think is the best style sling/baby carrier for wearing twins
(both atthe same time)? The babies in question are 5-6 lbs each and
were premies. I don;t want to sell the lady a Maya if it's not a good
solution to this particular problem. She asked me about wearing both
babies in one sling... anyone done this with tiny ones? I'd be
grateful for any input.

again, this is not a comment about twins, but about small babies and any
type of carrier, they just vanish, same problem with the car seat, our son
ended up geting carried in our arms a lot, which made us get quite a few
funny looks, he was about 7lb before anything else was practical.

Old November 12th 03, 05:13 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Hope wrote:
hi all,

I have a question for those of you with twins or who may know: what
do you think is the best style sling/baby carrier for wearing twins
(both atthe same time)? The babies in question are 5-6 lbs each and
were premies. I don;t want to sell the lady a Maya if it's not a good
solution to this particular problem. She asked me about wearing both
babies in one sling... anyone done this with tiny ones? I'd be
grateful for any input.

I didn't have my Maya Wraps until they were little bit bigger but I do
know from the videos on the site that two small ones can be in one Wrap.
Mine were a little bigger when I used one Wrap and then when they got
even bigger I used two Wraps.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old November 12th 03, 06:16 PM
chiam margalit

Hope wrote in message . ..
hi all,

I have a question for those of you with twins or who may know: what
do you think is the best style sling/baby carrier for wearing twins
(both atthe same time)? The babies in question are 5-6 lbs each and
were premies. I don;t want to sell the lady a Maya if it's not a good
solution to this particular problem. She asked me about wearing both
babies in one sling... anyone done this with tiny ones? I'd be
grateful for any input.

As a mother of twins, there is no way I would put two babies, very
small babies, in a sling together. I don't think it would be safe. I
know other MOTs did use slings, but pretty much everyone I've heard
about used 2 slings. My twins had a combined birthweight of 10 lbs,
but by the time they were 2 months old, their combined weight was ~20
lbs. And by 6 months it was close to 30 lbs of wiggly babies. However,
due to prematurity and other issues, neither was able to sit
independantly, so it was just a big lump o'baby that would have been
absolute dead weight on one side of my body. Nope, not for this mom.

I used front carriers (one for twins) for a short time.

I'd check on alt.parenting.twins-triplets for a better response.

Marjorie

TIA

Hope

Old November 12th 03, 10:40 PM
Vicki S

I was at the local kid museum one day and saw a woman walk in with one
twin on her chest in a bjorn, one twin on her back in a backpack, one
son holding her left hand and the fourth boy holding her right hand. my
first thought was that her back must hurt, my second thought was that i
was glad i wasn't her!

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995
Old November 13th 03, 02:36 AM
Cheryl

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 19:49:23 +1100, Hope
wrote:

hi all,

I have a question for those of you with twins or who may know: what
do you think is the best style sling/baby carrier for wearing twins
(both atthe same time)? The babies in question are 5-6 lbs each and
were premies. I don;t want to sell the lady a Maya if it's not a good
solution to this particular problem. She asked me about wearing both
babies in one sling... anyone done this with tiny ones? I'd be
grateful for any input.

Not about twins, but I carried my premmie baby in a pouch style sling
that my sister made for me. I found that easier for her at nearly
5lbs since there were no rings to complicate things. When she got
older I switched to a Maya style sling with rings. With twins you
could conceivably wear two pouches, one on each shoulder and have them
both riding closer to the hip than the centre of the body while they
are still small. I don't know about putting two babies in one sling
mainly because that would either have one child with the head lower
than the feet or would put you sticking out a long way in front.

--
Cheryl
Mum to DS#1 (11 Mar 99), DS#2 (4 Oct 00)
Old November 13th 03, 03:44 AM
Dawn Lawson

Hope wrote:

hi all,

I have a question for those of you with twins or who may know: what
do you think is the best style sling/baby carrier for wearing twins
(both atthe same time)? The babies in question are 5-6 lbs each and
were premies. I don;t want to sell the lady a Maya if it's not a good
solution to this particular problem. She asked me about wearing both
babies in one sling... anyone done this with tiny ones? I'd be
grateful for any input.

I've seen twins worn in two crossed slings, one baby on each hip. I've
seen front carriers for twins as well.
I can't see wearing both of them in one sling...they'd just be a jumble
of legs and arms at the bottom of the sling. :-)
Having said that, I'm not 100% sure how one would wear very young twins
with Mayas. Certainly she will need two slings soon enough, no matter
what type.

Dawn