Leukemia symptoms

Old November 13th 03, 08:28 AM
Denise

Default Leukemia symptoms

I'm in the process of Googling, but that just won't appease my mind quickly
enough But what are some symptoms of Leukemia other than anemia? Is
Leukemia usually a sudden onset sort of illness? Do the symptoms come and
go? A trip to the ER with DD2 has a doctor concerned enough to order
testing, but said it wasn't "super important."

Old November 13th 03, 01:41 PM
Jeff

"Denise" wrote in message
I'm in the process of Googling, but that just won't appease my mind

quickly
enough But what are some symptoms of Leukemia other than anemia?

Fatigue
Malaise (vague feeling of bodily discomfort)
Abnormal bleeding
Excessive bruising
Weakness
Reduced exercise tolerance
Weight loss
Bone or joint pain
Infection and fever
Abdominal pain or "fullness"
Enlarged spleen, lymph nodes, and liver

Is
Leukemia usually a sudden onset sort of illness?

It can be.

Do the symptoms come and
go?

They can.

A trip to the ER with DD2 has a doctor concerned enough to order
testing, but said it wasn't "super important."

Probably because the person did not have enough symptoms to warrent t
worrying the family. In addition, the testing is not specific for leukemia.
If DD2 had leukemia, chances are it would have shown up in the ER while you
were there. The white blood count would be real high.

In addition, the symptoms were probably more consistant with much more
common and benign things, like a self-limited viral infections.

I don't mean this to be funny. Don't worry about it. Chances are that you
will find out soon enough that it is NOT leukemia and something that will
go away on its own.

Jeff

Old November 13th 03, 01:48 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Denise wrote:

*I'm in the process of Googling, but that just won't appease my mind quickly
*enough But what are some symptoms of Leukemia other than anemia? Is
*Leukemia usually a sudden onset sort of illness? Do the symptoms come and
*go? A trip to the ER with DD2 has a doctor concerned enough to order
*testing, but said it wasn't "super important."

There are different kinds of leukemia. Leukemia can present in different
ways on a case by case basis, too. My understanding is that children who
have leukemia usually originally present with one or more of the following
scenarios:

-a months-long history of not being quite right

-recurrent nosebleeds or one really bad gusher

-fatigue, worsening over time

-lots of unexplained bruises

-being tired and getting sick and just not getting over it

-cuts or scrapes that just don't heal

-looking pale, washed out, etc

As far as symptoms coming and going, it would depend on what the symptoms
were. I mean, generally speaking the anemia and thrombocytopenia aren't
goign to just go away overnight, but you could have a good day where you
aren't as tired, or whatever...

I hope everything is ok with DD2! Please remember to update when you have
more information!!

Old November 13th 03, 05:44 PM
Welches

-lots of unexplained bruises

In my experience a lot of children have unexplained bruises. I know I do
too-which is genetic as my Mum bruises easily too. I'm always thinking, I'm
sure I never bumped myself there! It gets worse over pregnancy too.
Hope your dd is okay- they must test lots of children "just in case" as if
they miss it, they would be at risk of lawsuits.
Debbie

Old November 13th 03, 06:02 PM
Denise

"Welches" wrote in message
-lots of unexplained bruises

In my experience a lot of children have unexplained bruises. I know I do
too-which is genetic as my Mum bruises easily too. I'm always thinking,

I'm
sure I never bumped myself there! It gets worse over pregnancy too.
Hope your dd is okay- they must test lots of children "just in case" as if
they miss it, they would be at risk of lawsuits.
Debbie

I talked to a different doctor this morning, so I'm not quite as freaked
out. But the brusing, as she explained it, are bruises in places you
wouldn't expect normal bumps and such on a toddler, like on her torso and
stuff.

Old November 14th 03, 03:54 AM
Tina

"Denise" wrote in message ...
"Welches" wrote in message
-lots of unexplained bruises

In my experience a lot of children have unexplained bruises. I know I do
too-which is genetic as my Mum bruises easily too. I'm always thinking,

I'm
sure I never bumped myself there! It gets worse over pregnancy too.
Hope your dd is okay- they must test lots of children "just in case" as if
they miss it, they would be at risk of lawsuits.
Debbie

I talked to a different doctor this morning, so I'm not quite as freaked
out. But the brusing, as she explained it, are bruises in places you
wouldn't expect normal bumps and such on a toddler, like on her torso and
stuff.

I'm glad to hear that you're less worried. I was going to post about
bruising when I saw your initial question about leukemia, because the
Dr.s wondered if my daughter had leukemia because of excessive
bruising last year. She was also slightly anemic, and had failure to
thrive.

I had gone to the Dr. as soon as I noticed the bruises because I knew
it was a sign of leukemia. My daughter was *just* starting to crawl,
so I knew she hadn't done it to herself, and we hadn't done it. Thank
goodness the Dr said it was clearly not an issue of someone having
hurt her, that they can tell the difference with that kind of
bruising. She had about 6 quarter to half-dollar sized bruises on her
belly and back. Bad sign. Anyway, the Dr. sent blood off to be
tested *immediately*, and there was a message saying my daughter did
not have leukemia on the machine by the time I got home -- within an
hour.

It turns out that she has Von Willebrand's disease (which was, by the
way, our Pediatricians original guess, but it took several months to
confirm it), and it turns out that I do too, which is why I copied the
post above where Debbie said her mom and she both bruise easily. It
is very common -- the most common bleeding disorder. 1-2% of the
US-ian population is thought to have this disorder, and some European
countries are thought to be higher. It's definitely heritable, and a
lot of women who have it believe prior to diagnosis that it's just the
way their family is, because, for example, who do you ask if you think
your periods are really severe? Usually your mom, or a sister, and if
she's a heavy bleeder too, you come to believe it's the standard.

If spontaneous bruising was your daugther's issue, it is worth looking
into VWD. It's quite treatable, and very good to know about if
someone in your family has it (prior to dental work, for example!)

I hope you get more good news, soon!

Tina.
Old November 14th 03, 04:23 AM
Denise

"Tina" wrote in message
om...
"Denise" wrote in message

"Welches" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I have never heard of VWD before. I talked to my mom today and
apparantly I was tested for Leukemia several times as a child because I have
severe anemia. In bootcamp I was diagnosed with something similar to Sickle
Cell but I can never remember what its called. My daughter is very anemic
also, regardless of our diet, and has been hospitalized for FTT at least 3
times in the last 4 years. I'll look into VWD more, thanks.

Old November 14th 03, 02:00 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Denise wrote:

*Thanks. I have never heard of VWD before. I talked to my mom today and
*apparantly I was tested for Leukemia several times as a child because I have
*severe anemia. In bootcamp I was diagnosed with something similar to Sickle
*Cell but I can never remember what its called. My daughter is very anemic
*also, regardless of our diet, and has been hospitalized for FTT at least 3
*times in the last 4 years. I'll look into VWD more, thanks.

Do you have thalassemia?

Old November 14th 03, 08:57 PM
K, T, E & N

You can search at