[OT] Did anyone forego getting a high chair?

Old October 27th 03, 07:46 PM
Dawn Lawson

Default [OT] Did anyone forego getting a high chair?

badgirl wrote:

"Christina" wrote in message

"Dawn Lawson" wrote

brain melt....what does AMOF stand for?

As (a) matter of fact, perhaps?

Christina
mommy to I'm-a-messy-eater-too DS, almost two

*nod nod*
I'm laughing because when I read it again I forgot what I was thinking when
I put it up LOL
Hey Dawn...that brain melt wouldn't have been anything contagious would it?

Brain melt? what are you talking about?
;-)

Old October 27th 03, 08:15 PM
HollyLewis

These days, we have a sit down dinner every night and
I'm thoroughly convinced that its very good for her to be a part of that.

Not to mention it's good for the rest of you too. :-)

I'm sort of surprised that no one's mentioned that not having a family meal on
a daily, or near-daily, basis, can be kind of a dangerous habit, both
nutritionally and emotionally. I'd advise the OP to not only accept the high
chair, but get a dining room table and use it. ;-)

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old October 27th 03, 08:18 PM
HollyLewis

badgirl wrote:

Shower curtain
You can get clear ones (or any color you want almost AMOF)

I bought a shower curtain, the polyester fabric kind rather than the vinyl
kind, for this purpose because to me, having to wipe up a vinyl mat would be
more work than just wiping up the floor, whereas the fabric one can just be
tossed in the washing machine.

As it happens, though, DS was never so messy that it wasn't simpler to just
pick up the spilled food off the (hardwood) floor than it would have been to
deal with the shower curtain. We've only used the curtain when visiting the
ILs, whose dining room is carpeted.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old October 27th 03, 08:19 PM
SuperEeyore

HollyLewis wrote:
Not to mention it's good for the rest of you too. :-)

I'm sort of surprised that no one's mentioned that not having a
family meal on a daily, or near-daily, basis, can be kind of a
dangerous habit, both nutritionally and emotionally. I'd advise the
OP to not only accept the high chair, but get a dining room table and
use it. ;-)

We eat family meals, but there is absolutely no room in this little one
bedroom apartment for a dining room table, nor the stupid friggen high chair
that Juliet would *never* sit in.

Laurel

Old October 27th 03, 08:22 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

badgirl wrote:

I have two words....

Shower curtain

Adding a word - shower curtain liner. Under $2.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old October 27th 03, 08:31 PM
Sue

HollyLewis wrote in message
These days, we have a sit down dinner every night and
I'm thoroughly convinced that its very good for her to be a part of that.

Not to mention it's good for the rest of you too. :-)

I'm sort of surprised that no one's mentioned that not having a family

meal on a daily, or near-daily, basis, can be kind of a dangerous habit,
both
nutritionally and emotionally. I'd advise the OP to not only accept the

high
chair, but get a dining room table and use it. ;-)

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs

I was going to, but you beat me to it ;o)

I think it is an absolute must that a family eats together for at least
dinner. Maybe not every night. As schedules get more hectic as they get
older it can be hard. There are certainly many studies to show that children
do much better when the family eats together at least one meal. You will
need to teach manners at some point. Having a conversation during dinner
about their day (as they get older) to reconnect as a family is very
important. I personally don't recommend having the child eat on your lap.
Not only is it messy, they don't learn how to eat properly themselves and
you can't eat properly. You are also setting a bad example if you are eating
with the TV on.

I couldn't have lived without my high chair for my children.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 27th 03, 08:32 PM
Sue

iphigenia wrote in message
All of which would fit into my aesthetics much better than a big circle

with
pastel teddy bears : )

There are clear shower curtains. )

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 27th 03, 09:00 PM
SuperEeyore

Sue wrote:
I personally don't recommend
having the child eat on your lap. Not only is it messy, they don't
learn how to eat properly themselves and you can't eat properly. You
are also setting a bad example if you are eating with the TV on.

I couldn't have lived without my high chair for my children.

Well, that's where we differ then. Juliet has been so slow to solids that
just her being in my lap makes her feel more like eating. The high chair
just ticked her off to no end. I just can't see your point of them not
learning how to eat properly by sitting on my lap.

I'm glad you enjoyed the high chair, it was such a huge waste of precious
space here.

Laurel

Old October 27th 03, 09:06 PM
Belphoebe

"HollyLewis" wrote in message

I'm sort of surprised that no one's mentioned that not having a family

meal on
a daily, or near-daily, basis, can be kind of a dangerous habit, both
nutritionally and emotionally. I'd advise the OP to not only accept the

high
chair, but get a dining room table and use it. ;-)

We do have a dining-room table, it's just put away. At some point, we may
press it back into service on a regular basis. Currently, DH and I do eat
together, just not at a table. We're not inflexible about making changes as
new needs arise, though.

Belphoebe

Old October 27th 03, 09:07 PM
kristi

"Belphoebe" wrote in message . ..
My mother wants to buy us a high chair as a gift, and asked me to decide
which one we want and give her the ordering info.

The thing is, we're not even sure we want one.

We got one, and then used it less than 6 times. But what we found
really useful was a little baby chair that attaches to a tabletop or
counter (ours was from Chicco, but several companies make one). We
attached it to our counter on the kitchen island where we eat lots of
informal meals and it worked great once babe was eating solids. ONce
he got to be about 24 months, he started to be too big to fit in it,
and we graduated him to a Z-style chair at the kitchen table.

We use the "big dog" method of dealing with toddler messes.

HTH
Kristi