Tooth extraction and breastfeeding

Old April 27th 07, 09:09 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Engram

Default Tooth extraction and breastfeeding

I'm going to have to have a wisdom tooth extracted in the near future and am
wondering about the compatibility of pain killers they'll use and
breastfeeding.

Right now I am not sure what exact drugs are going to be involved. I have
the initial appointment to meet the oral surgeon on Wednesday next week and
will find out more then.

Is there anything in particular I should ask the surgeon about the
anaesthesia? Are there any drugs I should refuse because they will affect
breastfeeding too much (such as potentially affecting supply - I don't care
if I have to pump and dump, as long as it doesn't affect supply).

Kind regards,

Engram

Old April 27th 07, 08:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_2_]

to my knowledge there is no painkiller within the normal range of stuff that
would be used in dental surgery that would cause any reduction in supply

it very much depends what kind of extraction you are having what pain relief
you are likely to need, a straightforward extraction of an already erupted
tooth, likely needs no more than over the counter stuff, which is totally
find for breastfeeding, the more they have to dig, the more the more painful
it gets and it can need strong stuff temporarily, though what helped me most
was a dressing that I think contained clove oil, that the surgeon pushed
into the agonising socket 48hrs post surgery. I had pretty strong stuff in
recovery, fentanyl I think, most of these drugs, doctors are not that keen
to use on women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, but they are actually
fine in the short term, other than the possibility of the baby being drowsy
temporarily, but in a healthy baby, temporary drowsiness is ok.

For anaethesia, again, I don't think there is anything that can cause supply
problems, they will likely give you a routine antibiotic, if you a
suspetible to thrush, you might ask if it is entirely necessary. They should
also give drugs on an as needed basis, so they might usually give anti
sickness, but with breastfeeding, they should wait and see if you need it
and as wisdom tooh extraction is pretty speedy, many people don't.

I would check with your dentist before you do this, what is the state of
your other teeth, I had all 4 done in one go and it was way easier than
doing it multiple times, only one of the areas really hurt afterwards, it
was mostly just tender - and it was the one that at the time least needed
removing that was the biggest problem, it was completely impacted and not at
all erupted and not causing any pain, but wasn't likely to remain that way,
because it was so deep, it was very painful afterwards.

Anne

Old April 27th 07, 11:37 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Engram

My teeth are erupted, with deep roots so will most likely need a bit of
digging around. The reason I'm going to a dental surgeon as opposed to a
dentist is because of the deep roots and my regular dentist refused to do it
because the roots run too close to a facial nerve and he didn't want to
accidentally sever or otherwise impact on the nerve and disfigure me (by
making my facial muscles go slack, losing control of my jaw, etc). Hence the
surgeon.

I guess I'll just have to wait until Wednesday and find out what they are
likely to use. No use worrying about it now. Some drowsiness in the baby
might be a welcome respite during the day, anyway! She's lately been
refusing to sleep much during the day and she's only 6 months old. She
sleeps 12 hours through the night, though, so who am I to complain about her
sleeping habits, right? LOL

Thanks for the advice you have given me. Once I have a list of the drugs
most likely to be used I can perhaps ask a good soul with access to Hayles
to give me the lowdown (sp?)on them.

Engram

Old April 28th 07, 02:51 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
JJ

On Apr 27, 5:37 pm, "Engram" wrote:
[...]

Good luck!. I grind my teeth and had to have one pulled since it
cracked. So I had a root canal, then extraction, then a MONTH long
dry socket, and am now going back to have an implant placed
Thursday. All with varioous amount of sedation, painkillers
etc...escpecially during the dry socket. Only on the day of surgery
was I supposed to pump after either 4 or 6 hours, then dump. Your
local pharmacist or your ped ought to be able to tell you. Although
I confess that when DD was 2 and DS was 8 weeks and fussy, they told
me I needed a root canal and that I would get to lie in a chair with
laughing gas for an hour, then go home and take vicodin all day with
someone else watching the WHOLE bunch more teeth you can work on..."

A word of advice re dry sockets........be very careful not do do any
sucking (like straws, cigarettes) or eating anything too hot, cold or
chunky, and don't swish much. I've had 2 dry sockets and they are
really really bad compared to other tooth pains. (And I was natural
childbirth twice) I think that hormone status can influence your
predisposition to dry sockets, and I think breastfeeding may increase
the risk. If you've had one before, tell the surgeon so they can
pack it immediately after surgery to keep the clot from coming off.
And if a day or two after the extraction you wake up with severe pain
that narcotics don't seem to help much, get in there ASAP since they
can pack it full of clove oil and it provides almost instant relief.

So let me know how it goes. I may well be high as a kite posting
goofy messages thursday afternoon.
jj

Old April 29th 07, 03:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Cheryl

On Apr 27, 6:09 pm, "Engram" wrote:
I'm going to have to have a wisdom tooth extracted in the near future and am
wondering about the compatibility of pain killers they'll use and
breastfeeding.

Right now I am not sure what exact drugs are going to be involved. I have
the initial appointment to meet the oral surgeon on Wednesday next week and
will find out more then.

Is there anything in particular I should ask the surgeon about the
anaesthesia? Are there any drugs I should refuse because they will affect
breastfeeding too much (such as potentially affecting supply - I don't care
if I have to pump and dump, as long as it doesn't affect supply).

I had mine out under general at the Hills Private two years ago when
Chickie was 5 months old. Because it's also a maternity hospital I
made a point of talking to the anaesthetist and he offered to give me
the type of GA they use for c/s and put through an extra bag of IV
fluids to counteract the nil by mouth period before the surgery. I
fed Chickie just before I left for the hospital and DH brought her up
to me about 5 hours after that feed, she apparently hadn't been
interested in the bottle of EBM they'd offered her earlier in the
afternoon so she went the 5 hours waiting for me.

After the surgery I was given panadeine forte for the pain and
antibiotics because one of my teeth removals was the type that
sometimes gets infected. I know that panadeine forte is also often
used after c/s so I wasn't worried about that and it didn't affect
Chickie at all. He also used a local to numb my jaw so I didn't
really need any pain relief for the first 24 hours until the local
wore off. If you want any more information since I'm in Sydney too my
email address works.

Cheryl