Sad story

Old July 8th 04, 07:34 AM
Plissken

Default Sad story

A woman who lives just outside of my town recently had a home birth and lost
her baby. I feel so sad for her but unfortunately she made some really bad
decisions.

She had a c-section with her first pregnancy and her Doc informed her that
this second baby was breech. For some reason she was absolutely determined
to have a natural home birth no matter what. She apparently called every
midwife in town to see if they would under the circumstances take her on as
a patient. She was turned down by all the registered midwifes. She ended up
choosing a "midwife" who turned out to not even be a midwife at all, she was
not registered in our province.

Sadly the baby had major complications during delivery and passed away. How
sad.

Old July 8th 04, 02:15 PM
newfy.1

"Plissken" wrote in message
[...]

Sad and so unnecessary. Unfortunately, it's these types of stories that
people remember and think of when they hear the words homebirth and midwife.

JennP.

Old July 8th 04, 02:22 PM
Jenny D

OMG... poor child... stupid woman.

Old July 8th 04, 02:38 PM
Zaz

This is a terrible story. And I agree with Jenn: everybody will remember
only this about midwives.

On an egotistic note, I already tremble at my mother's reaction: she's bound
to find out, as I'm sure this will make the news soon enough (I'm from your
province).
BTW, in what town did this happen?

Old July 8th 04, 04:00 PM
Ilse Witch

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 06:34:25 +0000, Plissken wrote:

Sadly the baby had major complications during delivery and passed away. How
sad.

That's really sad. And unfortunately this type of stories will put home
births in a bad perspective. I wonder though, why none of the care
providers was able to change her mind. There is such good care available,
this didn't need to happen.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old July 8th 04, 04:07 PM
Plissken

"Zaz" wrote in message
.. .
This is a terrible story. And I agree with Jenn: everybody will remember
only this about midwives.

On an egotistic note, I already tremble at my mother's reaction: she's

bound
to find out, as I'm sure this will make the news soon enough (I'm from

your
province).
BTW, in what town did this happen?

In Sooke just outside of Victoria.

Old July 8th 04, 04:37 PM
Donna Metler

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 06:34:25 +0000, Plissken wrote:

Sadly the baby had major complications during delivery and passed away.

How
sad.

That's really sad. And unfortunately this type of stories will put home
births in a bad perspective. I wonder though, why none of the care
providers was able to change her mind. There is such good care available,
this didn't need to happen.

It happens in hospitals too-none of the women in my pregnancy/infant loss
group had a home birth. Now, in some cases, like mine, complications were
evident before delivery, and therefore a hospital birth was indicated (but
still couldn't save the baby)-in others, everything was completely fine to
outer appearance, but something happened during labor/delivery itself-with
no good reason why. Unless a woman has had previous pregnancy complications
or has pre-existing health issues, there's no reason to expect problems.

Old July 8th 04, 05:55 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Plissken wrote:

Sadly the baby had major complications during delivery and passed away. How
sad.

Yes, very sad.

Old July 8th 04, 09:31 PM
ChocolateTruffles

Plissken wrote:

BTW, in what town did this happen?

In Sooke just outside of Victoria.

Somehow, that doesn't surprise me. :-( Poor baby.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://ca.geocities.com/bironmonger/

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it,
requires brains."
~ Mary Pettibone Poole