Co-sleeping question

Old October 30th 03, 09:05 PM
Kari

Default Co-sleeping question

For those of you who have co-slept with your kids, I have a question.

Before the birth of our 4 week old, we still co-slept with our older son who
is 4.5 yrs old. Now that the baby is here, there isn't really room in the
bed and I feel nervous about having them both in there with me because the
older one moves around a lot.

So, we moved him back into his room but it's been pretty upsetting for him.
He wakes a lot and ends up coming into our room partway through the night
just sobbing. Breaks my heart

Before the baby came we talked to him about going into his big boy bed and
sleeping there and we even put an extra bed in his room so my husband could
sleep in there as needed (which has been almost every night) but he wants to
be with Mommy at night.

My question is this - how many of you kept on co-sleeping with your older
child when you had a new baby? And if you did, how did that work? We have
been through this before with my daughter but she made the transition with
no problem and this time it's been a lot harder than I thought.

Thanks

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and Xander (4 weeks)

Old October 30th 03, 09:11 PM
Circe

"Kari" wrote in message
My question is this - how many of you kept on co-sleeping with your older
child when you had a new baby? And if you did, how did that work?

No personal experience, but friends of mine set up their daughter's toddler
bed in their room and she sleeps there (she's just turned 5). Is there space
in your room for him to have a small bed or even just a sleeping bag on the
floor?
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [19mo] mom)

"Use repeatedly for severe damage." -- Directions on shampoo bottle

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old October 30th 03, 09:26 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Kari" wrote:

[...]

When my kids were too big to share the bed (because there were too many
of us), I let them set up a temporary bed (sleeping bag) on the floor
beside my bed whenever they wanted to, and that made them happy. But
there were times when all 5 of us were in one bed -- it was just
crowded. The room itself was way too small for another bed, or I might
have set one up.

I had one friend who had a king size bed and a double side by side on
the floor of her bedroom, and the entire family slept the as the
kids got older, they moved into the double bed, and, eventually, into
their own rooms. I don't know how old they were when they started to
sleep in their own rooms, but I seem to recall it was somewhere aroung
six or seven.

I would think it would be pretty upsetting for a 4 yo to go from
sleeping in mom and dad's bed to sleeping by himself in a different room
and just when a new baby came in to the house to displace him as the
baby of the family, as well. If there is any way to let him at least
sleep in the same room with you, I think I'd try to find it.

meh

Old October 30th 03, 09:31 PM
Sophie

No personal experience, but friends of mine set up their daughter's

toddler
bed in their room and she sleeps there (she's just turned 5). Is there

space
in your room for him to have a small bed or even just a sleeping bag on

the
floor?
--
Be well, Barbara

No personal experience either. But I bet a kid would love a sleeping bag in
Mom and Dad's room.

Old October 30th 03, 09:44 PM
Kari

when you had a new baby? And if you did, how did that work?

No personal experience, but friends of mine set up their daughter's

toddler
bed in their room and she sleeps there (she's just turned 5). Is there

space
in your room for him to have a small bed or even just a sleeping bag on

the
floor?

I never thought of that but that does sound like a great idea! He's spending
the week at Nana's house so I'll try it as soon as he gets home

Kari

Old October 30th 03, 09:45 PM
Kari

"Sophie" wrote in message

No personal experience, but friends of mine set up their daughter's

toddler
bed in their room and she sleeps there (she's just turned 5). Is there

space
in your room for him to have a small bed or even just a sleeping bag on

the
floor?
--
Be well, Barbara

No personal experience either. But I bet a kid would love a sleeping bag

in
Mom and Dad's room.

I can't believe I didnt think of it before. I bet he'd love that too. Of
course I'll be the one to trip on him in the middle of the night because
I'll forget he's there!!

Kari

Old October 30th 03, 09:50 PM
Kari

When my kids were too big to share the bed (because there were too many
of us), I let them set up a temporary bed (sleeping bag) on the floor
beside my bed whenever they wanted to, and that made them happy. But
there were times when all 5 of us were in one bed -- it was just
crowded. The room itself was way too small for another bed, or I might
have set one up.

We've had 4 of us in the bed, before Xander was born. It was a little
crowded but not really a problem. Kaylie is like a log and doesn't move all
night and I dont get bothered with the activity of Noah. Im just worried
because he'd whack the baby in the head or something and not know it.

I had one friend who had a king size bed and a double side by side on
the floor of her bedroom, and the entire family slept the as the
kids got older, they moved into the double bed, and, eventually, into
their own rooms. I don't know how old they were when they started to
sleep in their own rooms, but I seem to recall it was somewhere aroung
six or seven.

Kaylie would still sleep with us if we'd let her and she will be 8 in 2
months. She is fine in her bed and has since she was 3 but if I ask her to
lay with me at night or something she gets so excited.

I would think it would be pretty upsetting for a 4 yo to go from
sleeping in mom and dad's bed to sleeping by himself in a different room
and just when a new baby came in to the house to displace him as the
baby of the family, as well. If there is any way to let him at least
sleep in the same room with you, I think I'd try to find it.

I agree, its been a lot harder on me than I thought too, to have to try and
enforce it. A lot of times I will pump a few oz of milk and let Noah fall
asleep with me while I go to bed early, dh will keep the baby up and then
move Noah a few hours later when its time for Xander to eat again. That
works ok and I love having that cuddle time with my older son.

Thanks for the advice!!

meh

Old October 30th 03, 09:52 PM
Sophie

I can't believe I didnt think of it before. I bet he'd love that too. Of
course I'll be the one to trip on him in the middle of the night because
I'll forget he's there!!

Kari

Lol. I'd probably do the same. We have Charlotte and Patrick sleep in
sleeping bags when we go to my parents. They love it. Have him help pick
out which cartoon character is on it or the color. He'll love that too.

Old October 30th 03, 10:34 PM
HollyLewis

I can't believe I didnt think of it before. I bet he'd love that too. Of
course I'll be the one to trip on him in the middle of the night because
I'll forget he's there!!

Kari

Lol. I'd probably do the same. We have Charlotte and Patrick sleep in
sleeping bags when we go to my parents. They love it. Have him help pick
out which cartoon character is on it or the color. He'll love that too.

I can hope this will eventually work on DS. Last summer I asked him if he
wanted to pick out his own sleeping bag for our family camp trip and he was
pretty emphatic about preferring to sleep in Mommy & Daddy's sleeping bag
instead!

Of course, at the time I didn't much care one way or the other, so I *did* give
him the choice. :-) I just thought the chance to choose his own bag might
entice him, and it didn't.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old October 31st 03, 12:41 AM
toto

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:11:31 -0800, "Circe" wrote:

"Kari" wrote in message
.. .
My question is this - how many of you kept on co-sleeping with your older
child when you had a new baby? And if you did, how did that work?

No personal experience, but friends of mine set up their daughter's toddler
bed in their room and she sleeps there (she's just turned 5). Is there space
in your room for him to have a small bed or even just a sleeping bag on the
floor?

My granddaughter just transitioned to a mattress on the floor instead
of in bed with mom. The new baby hasn't been born yet, but they are
hoping she will transition to her crib or own room once that happens.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits