Yoga ball-birthing ball--what can I do with it now?

Old March 23rd 04, 10:25 PM
Elitsirk

Default Yoga ball-birthing ball--what can I do with it now?

About a year ago, I bought a "yoga ball" to use for situps, etc. I
was taking an aerobics class at the time where we used them for toning
every week. I had bought a workout video that had a section on using
the toning ball, and was doing it maybe 1 a week until around the time
I got pg (exercising more than 1x a week--I had a couple of yoga and
pilates tapes, plus cardio stuff at the gym).

Now that I seem to have enough energy to get off the couch again, I"m
trying to step up my exercise routine a bit. I have been doing cardio
at the gym 1-2 times a week (elliptical/cross trainers mostly) and/or
walking when I haven't felt too ill or too sleepy to move up until
now. I just recently bought a prenatal yoga video that should be
arriving from Amazon.com today or tomorrow.

Ok, now that I've given you the long version, here's my question: I
still have my toning/yoga ball. Are there any good
books/videos/websites that describe good exercises I can do with it
during the rest of my pregnancy? Most of the exercises on my original
tape don't really work (situps make my stomach muscles cramp up really
bad, and some of the other stuff involves laying on the ball face
down, which is really uncomfortable). I think the ball that I have is
similar to what everyone calls a "birthing ball" but I've never seen
anything that describes what you actually *do* with a birthing ball
during (or before) birth (we haven't taken a childbirth class yet
either, so maybe that's where most people learn about them...?)

Thanks!
--Elit.
#1 due 9/20/2004
Old March 24th 04, 10:27 AM
Vicky Larmour

In article om,
Elitsirk wrote:
I think
the ball that I have is similar to what everyone calls a
"birthing ball" but I've never seen anything that describes what
you actually *do* with a birthing ball during (or before) birth
(we haven't taken a childbirth class yet either, so maybe that's
where most people learn about them...?)

Sit on it (slightly underinflated) with your feet apart and rotate
your hips - like belly dancing / hula but sitting down. This helps
your hips stay flexible and the foetus move into the right position.

Sit on it and lean slightly forward (maybe rest your arms on the back
of a normal chair in front of you) to watch TV or any time you would
normally sit reclined - again, great for getting the foetus in the
right position.

Sit on it and bounce gently up and down by using your thighs - help
strengthen your thigh muscles without putting too much weight/strain
on anything.

Hold it against a wall with your back and slide/roll down & up again
in a sort of supported squat. Again, good for thigh muscles.

Those are the things I used mine for. I also took it to the hospital
in labour but didn't end up using it as sitting down during a
contraction was painful.

Hope this helps!
Vicky
--
"Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
Old March 24th 04, 12:06 PM
Anne Rogers

A midwife brought me one as I had been rocking around on a stool that
happened to be in the room, I found that most positions other than side
lieing required too much work from the other muscles in my body, so no
props other than a bed helped.
Old March 24th 04, 10:42 PM
Nacholady

How about this?

http://www.fitbuy.com/pd/bd1195.exer...nancybook.html

"This 48-page booklet will guide you through a safe and dynamic
progrom using your exericse ball!With easy to follow instrucions and
photos vof EVERY exercise, you'll never go wrong. Keep your body in
good shape all throughout your pregnancy!"

;o)