Colic / gas build up

Old July 14th 07, 09:30 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen \(LG\)

Default Colic / gas build up

My 7 week old has been constantly crying since 5am. Doc says it's just gas
but nothing is working to relieve it. Both DH and I are exhausted and
pulling our hair out trying to soothe him.

Any help / advice appreciated ladies.

--
Karen
DS 25th Sept 1984 - VB 8lb 12oz (Adopted)

Old July 14th 07, 10:49 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Have you swaddled him tightly? Have you tried laying him down on your lap,
face down, or in the crook of his arm? Have you tried bicycling his legs?
Have you tried Baby's Bliss or Mylicon drops? Are you formula or breast
feeding? If breast, you may try to cut out certain foods which are known to
cause issues, and see if that helps. If formula feeding, you may try
switching brands and see if that helps. Have you tried the car seat on the
washing machine trick, or letting him be alone in his room? Sometimes they
get overstimulated, and the more we try to soothe them, the more uspet they
get.

If none of that helps, ask your mom, or dh's mom, or any other family,
friends or neighbors willing and able, to come in for a few hours in the
evening to hold the baby and give you a break. If this isn't fixable, you
and dh at least need to get a break and figure out how to keep your sanity.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Old July 15th 07, 05:59 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen \(LG\)

We've tried swaddling, over the shoulder, on belly, rocking, bicycling,
infacol, gripe water, walking him - everything !!

He's breast fed and I've always been careful what I eat (breastfed 2 before
this one) I can cope with colic but yesterday it went on for 16 hours !!
Never had to deal with a baby crying for so long

DH and I took him for a drive in the car, rocked him in the car seat,
swinging cradle, bouncing chair..........eventually at 10pm he went to
sleep.

We were exhausted.

. ..

Old July 15th 07, 06:20 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Rebecca Jo

"Karen (LG)" wrote:

My 7 week old has been constantly crying since 5am. Doc says it's just gas
but nothing is working to relieve it. Both DH and I are exhausted and
pulling our hair out trying to soothe him.

Any help / advice appreciated ladies.

This is how my friend's child showed signs of his wheat allergy. You could
try an elimination diet and see if that helps. Within 2 days of her stopping
the wheat, her child was completely different. Before that he would just
scream for hours.

I hope you all get some relief soon.

--
Rebecca Jo
Mama to Alexander 6/6/05 & Jack 7/7/07

Old July 15th 07, 06:24 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Hugs Karen. This sounds really tough, and probably like something that just
has to be endured until it resolves on it's own.

In regards to the breastfeeding and being careful what you eat -- I wonder
if there is another level of things you can try to cut out, to see if that
helps. I mean, you are probably cutting out all of the standard stuff, that
is likely to cause gas, like broccoli, or whatever, but still eating near
normally. If you tried a really restrictive diet for a week or two --
cutting out, I don't know, dairy, or something, at least you would feel like
you were still moving forward in trying to figure it out, and may not feel
so helpless.

As I said, since nothing seems to be working, I hope you have friends,
family, and neighbors that you can ask for help and support from. I wish I
lived closer, I'd come take him for a few hours for you!~
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Old July 15th 07, 06:41 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL

Karen (LG) schrieb:

He's breast fed and I've always been careful what I eat (breastfed 2 before
this one) I can cope with colic but yesterday it went on for 16 hours !!
Never had to deal with a baby crying for so long

Oh god, he sounds just like Sam :-/ The good news is: it'll eventually
get better.
I cut out onions and bell peppers, zucchini, lentils, peas, etc. and
some seemed to help, but by now I'm thinking the worst thing I kept
eating was gingerbread (they start selling it here around September)
either covered in chocolate or covered in sugar. And I think he just had
so much gas because of all the sugar he was getting via my milk. So this
time I'm prepared, I hope...

I know I've already said this somewhere else (another thread I can't
find right now), but I would try leaving out all sugary treats for
myself, including things like grapes and grape juice, also watch what
else you're eating, bell peppers and stuff like lentils, peas, beans
obviously cause or can cause gassiness. Dairy... I wouldn't cut it all
out at once, try the most likely thing for a week first and then if you
see an improvement leave out something else as well, and if it doesn't
matter if you leave out dairy, add the dairy back in and leave out
something else. Or if you want to go "cold turkey" you could do what I
did when I found out I was probably lactose intolerant. I ate home made
vegetable soup (mostly with carrots and couscous or chinese noodles) for
a week until my symptoms had cleared up and then started adding things
back in slowly. You have to be careful though because you're
breastfeeding and I wasn't anymore, and you still need to get lots of
vitamins and, well, calories.

One vegetable I'm sure helps with the gassiness is fennel by the way.
It's a bit of an acquired taste because it has a strong smell that, to
me at least, is very sweet, but it's very nice in soups and there's lots
of other ways you can prepare it. Using Cumin as a spice for it is also
nice. Plus: Both help increase your supply somewhat ;-)

take care
nicole
Old July 15th 07, 06:57 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Irrational Number

Karen (LG) wrote:

He's breast fed and I've always been careful what I eat (breastfed 2 before
this one) I can cope with colic but yesterday it went on for 16 hours !!
Never had to deal with a baby crying for so long

Wow, sorry to hear this... Are you eating dairy
in your diet? I have read that 50% of colic is
caused by dairy sensitivities. (I always ask about
dairy because Pillbug got eczema from my dairy and
I went completely dairy-free for 15 months.)

-- Anita --
Old July 15th 07, 08:35 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen \(LG\)

Bless you Jamie,

I'll try to make my diet a little blander than it already is. I've already
cut out cabbage, onions, broccoli, it goes without saying no alcohol or
even fizzy drinks. I'll try cutting out the diary, I do like my milk,
yoghurt and cheese, but will try it if it helps Connor.

Old July 15th 07, 08:38 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen \(LG\)

Thanks Nicole, I'll try the fennel, I have some fennel tea somewhere will
see if that helps. I do remember my oldest son loved the stuff.

Old July 15th 07, 08:38 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen \(LG\)

Cheers Anita, Yes someone else mentioned this, I'm going to cut if out for a
few days and see how things improve.

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
ink.net...
Karen (LG) wrote:

He's breast fed and I've always been careful what I eat (breastfed 2
before this one) I can cope with colic but yesterday it went on for 16
hours !! Never had to deal with a baby crying for so long

Wow, sorry to hear this... Are you eating dairy
in your diet? I have read that 50% of colic is
caused by dairy sensitivities. (I always ask about
dairy because Pillbug got eczema from my dairy and
I went completely dairy-free for 15 months.)

-- Anita --

fennel seed tea for colic? luna Pregnancy 9 October 24th 04 06:02 AM
baby colic Sally Pregnancy 0 August 27th 04 07:15 PM
baby colic Sally General 0 August 27th 04 07:13 PM
baby colic Sally Kids Health 0 August 27th 04 07:10 PM
Colic cure Aaron Pregnancy 8 April 25th 04 01:51 AM