baby dr. appt

Old July 10th 04, 12:48 AM
Angela Schepers

Default baby dr. appt

Quinn had his 2 month checkup today though he is 9weeks old today. He
got vaccinations in 3 shots to his legs. I think he took them better
than we did, heh. He weighs 13lbs 12oz, 23 1/4 inches long, and 15.5in
head circumference. The bad thing is that he's had one stool in the
last 8-9 days. His stools have never been hard as he's been breast fed
but he's stopped up nonetheless. So the doc recommended apple juice cut
in half by water. If we don't see any results in a day or so we're to
use prune juice which should work, if not too well. If we still don't
get a stool, gotta bring him back in to the doc. Lets hope that it
works because I can tell Quinn is definately uncomfortable. He slept
quite a bit but he's been really crabby all day (when he's awake) and I
don't know if it's from the shots or from the constipation. My mom
thought he might be running a little fever. We're going to try some
infant tylenol to see if that helps him any.

Angela, DH &
Quinn 5/07/04

Old July 10th 04, 01:05 AM
Sue

"Angela Schepers" wrote in message
The bad thing is that he's had one stool in the
last 8-9 days. His stools have never been hard as he's been breast fed
but he's stopped up nonetheless. So the doc recommended apple juice cut
in half by water. If we don't see any results in a day or so we're to
use prune juice which should work, if not too well. If we still don't
get a stool, gotta bring him back in to the doc. Lets hope that it
works because I can tell Quinn is definately uncomfortable. He slept
quite a bit but he's been really crabby all day (when he's awake) and I
don't know if it's from the shots or from the constipation. My mom
thought he might be running a little fever. We're going to try some
infant tylenol to see if that helps him any.

I don't think you better give a baby this young anything for not pooping. It
is very acceptable for a breastfed baby to not poop in a week's time.
Especially with you saying that the poop is not hard, I would just wait it
out. If he is very uncomfortable, I might consider putting a thermometer in
his rectum to stimulate, but even that recommendation is a cautious one.
Apple juice can be binding as they recommend that when there is diarrhea and
it also can cause rashes. I guess prune juice would be okay, but still your
baby is too young for anything else but breast milk. I *would* try to
breastfeed him more to see if that would help any. Also remember that
breastmilk is such a complete food for them that he may be just digesting it
really well and not leaving much else for waste. And yes, give him some
Tylenol as the shots can make them very uncomfortable especially their
little legs will be sore.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old July 10th 04, 01:18 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Angela Schepers wrote:
The bad thing is that he's had one stool
in the last 8-9 days. His stools have never been hard as he's been
breast fed but he's stopped up nonetheless.

IMHO, that's not constipation (which is hard, dry, pellet-like stool), but
normal (albeit on the long side of usual) breastfed baby. Some kids are
just really efficient.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread; substitute mailbolt

Old July 10th 04, 03:59 AM
JUSTIN K FOLLETT

Same thing happened to my baby around that age. Our Dr. said it's perfectly
normal for breastfed babies. They use up nearly everything they ingest and
therefore not much comes back out!

Kari
mom to Kaylie, Noah and Xander

Old July 10th 04, 04:05 AM
newfy.1

The bad thing is that he's had one stool in the
last 8-9 days. His stools have never been hard as he's been breast fed
but he's stopped up nonetheless.

FYI: This is NOT unusual and you shouldn't need to take any measures. If,
when your baby goes it is totally soft, it's not constipation. Constipation
is hard, dry stools. My freind's ds would *always* go about every 9 days
until he started solids.

JennP. (always baffled at how many peds DON'T know this!)

Old July 10th 04, 09:09 PM
toypup

"Sue" wrote in message
I don't think you better give a baby this young anything for not pooping.

It
is very acceptable for a breastfed baby to not poop in a week's time.

DS pooped once a day until one week he decided not to. It worried me,
though I know what they say about BF'd babies. Turns out, it was totally
true, he just all of a sudden one day decided to do a once a week deal and
it was a major blow-out. For some reason, he did that for awhile and then
went back to once every few days.

Apple juice can be binding as they recommend that when there is diarrhea

and
it also can cause rashes.

Seems the opposite for DS. I give him apple juice when he gets constipated
and it works.

Old July 11th 04, 01:23 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

newfy.1 wrote:

"Angela Schepers" wrote in message

The bad thing is that he's had one stool in the

last 8-9 days. His stools have never been hard as he's been breast fed
but he's stopped up nonetheless.

FYI: This is NOT unusual and you shouldn't need to take any measures. If,
when your baby goes it is totally soft, it's not constipation. Constipation
is hard, dry stools. My freind's ds would *always* go about every 9 days
until he started solids.

JennP. (always baffled at how many peds DON'T know this!)

OK, for the record, but not to argue, you can have soft stools
(diarrhea, in fact), and still be constipated. The problem is that if
there's a partial blockage, the stools will flow past it and not lose
much water. (with a total blockage, the individual will not be able to
pass anything at all, including gas) Having wet stools flow past a
partial blockage can eventually remove the blockage, and you'll never
really know - you'll just note a sudden decrease in stool passage, but
the stools may appear normal when they finally do show up, and the
individual will be very uncomfortable. I have had this happen to me
more than once, so I know what it feels like.
Old July 11th 04, 04:44 AM
Irene

Angela Schepers wrote in message news:s9GHc.58923$XM6.11801@attbi_s53...
[...]

He's probably crabby & feverish from the shots. Did your ped give you
handouts about the shots? My dd just got her 2 months shots (yes,
she's 3 months, long boring story) and she has been unhappy and
running a low grade fever, which is a common side effect. I've been
giving her baby tylenol, which helps, once it kicks in!

I'm skipping the constipation bit - already explained well by others.

Irene
Old July 11th 04, 06:13 AM
Angela Schepers

It's been 7 days since his last stool, and 5 days before that since the
one before. Every time before he's always had very large stools, all in
row in every diaper for a day or so and he's done this for no more than
4-5 days at a stretch. Not now and he's still very crabby and
definately uncomfortable that I can tell. He's also passing a lot of
gas which makes him very upset as well. How long should I let the last
of bowel movements continue until it's not healthy anymore and should be
seen by a dr? I didn't notice a difference with giving him infant tylenol.

Old July 12th 04, 05:06 AM
Irene

Angela Schepers wrote in message news:T%3Ic.31900$WX.3295@attbi_s51...
It's been 7 days since his last stool, and 5 days before that since the
one before. Every time before he's always had very large stools, all in
row in every diaper for a day or so and he's done this for no more than
4-5 days at a stretch. Not now and he's still very crabby and
definately uncomfortable that I can tell. He's also passing a lot of
gas which makes him very upset as well. How long should I let the last
of bowel movements continue until it's not healthy anymore and should be
seen by a dr? I didn't notice a difference with giving him infant tylenol.

Has he seemed crabby about not pooping before, or just now (since his
shots)? If he was crabby before the shots, then the shots might not
be the problem. But if it just started after the shots, I would
probably blame the shots.

I've never had a baby with long intervals between poops, so I'm not
the best one to answer what type of reaction is normal. I just know
7-10 days is within the range of normal for a breastfed baby, and then
you get a big blowout.

HTH,
Irene