Great Christian Parenting Book.

Old August 17th 03, 07:12 AM
Papaioannou

Default Great Christian Parenting Book.

In my desire to help Christian parents train up their children God's way I
would recommend the book by J. Richard Fugate "What The Bible Says About
Child Training". This book is very good and completely Bible based. The
author accepts completely what Scripture says on child training without
adding his own views and human reasoning. We disagree with some doctrinal
points of the book but as a general overview we consider it the best book on
child training available today. It explains how to love and care for our
children, what is training, why the only cure for rebellion is chastisement
(spanking), why children when not in rebellion but disobey need punishments
(consequences for their actions), how to properly forgive, etc., etc.

Book:

What the Bible Says About Child Training, by J. Richard Fugate, second
edition, Foundation for Biblical Research.

Available from:
Child Training Resources,
15520 Strebor Drive,
Bakersfield, CA 93314,
U.S.A.
E-Mail:

From here it costs $12.00

or

Foundation for Biblical Research
J. Richard and Virginia Fugate
P.O.Box 1412,
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
E-Mail:

From here costs $12.95

God Bless!

Old August 19th 03, 02:46 AM
LaVonne Carlson

Ah, J. Richard Fugate. One of the many so-called and self-proclaimed Christian
experts in "child training." As a lover of children, Fugate strikes fear in my
heart for the innocent children he has so little regard for. As an academic,
Fugate's ignorance of child development makes me furious. As a Christian,
Fugate's attempt to Biblically justify hitting and hurting little children
makes me weep.

I would suggest:

1. Learning something about child development, about how children best learn,
grow and develop.
2. Reading your New Testament, to gain an understanding of how Jesus regarded
children. Nowhere in the New Testament does Jesus suggest hitting, hurting or
humiliating children. Jesus regarded children with the utmost respect and
love.
3. Reading your Old Testament and asking yourself "Do I want the OT applied
literally to all aspects of current life, or just Proverbs, which appears to
advocate hitting children with rods?" Do I also advocate stoning to death
children who are rebellious, who overeat, or who drink?" Deuteronomy does, you
know. "Do I advocate death to unmarried women who are no longer virgins?" The
OT does.

I prefer combine my knowledge of child development and parenting with the words
and example of Jesus. Jesus revered children and advocated respectful
treatment of children by their parents. Jesus was not a punisher. Jesus was
love. When his disciples attempted to invoke punitive OT principles with the
woman at the well Jesus stopped them, asked them to examine their own lives,
and told the woman to go and sin no more.

LaVonne

Papaioannou wrote:

[...]

From here it costs $12.00

or

Foundation for Biblical Research
J. Richard and Virginia Fugate
P.O.Box 1412,
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
E-Mail:

From here costs $12.95

God Bless!

Old August 19th 03, 12:41 PM
Papaioannou

I suggests thee reads 1). Fugates book again thee understood nothing. 2. The
New Testament again it does accept spanking. Furthermore pray to Christ to
clear in thy mind the difference of child abuse with Biblical discipline.

Papaioannou wrote:

[...]

From here it costs $12.00

or

Foundation for Biblical Research
J. Richard and Virginia Fugate
P.O.Box 1412,
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
E-Mail:

From here costs $12.95

God Bless!

Old August 19th 03, 12:50 PM
Papaioannou

FOR IGNORANCE AND LIES FROM FALSE CHRISTIANS WHO DON'T KNOW CHRIST OR THE
NEW TESTAMENT TO STOP!

New Testament.

The first passage from the N.T. we shall discuss is Hebrews 12:6-11. "For
whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son who he
receiveth. If ye endure chastening. God dealeth with you as with sons; for
what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without
chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye *******s, and not sons.
Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave
them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of
spirits, and live? For they verily for a few days chastened us after their
own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his
holiness. Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but
grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of
righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby."

It is obvious in the above verse that the writer of the Epistle to the
Hebrews (Paul ?) is using an example of everyday life to explain the way God
the Father deals with His children. He says, "...we have had fathers of our
flesh which corrected us....". In the O.T. God clearly told parents to use
spanking as an option (see: Proverbs or ever Sirach, etc.) so in this
"correction" spanking is included this is obvious when he says: "and
scourgeth every son" the word which is used here in Greek is "mastigi" means
"spanks with a strap (whip)". The Greek words used here for "chastise",
"correct", etc. is "pedia" and "pedeuo" "pedia"includes the meanings "teach,
bring up, correct" and "pedeuo", "teach, bring up, chastise, correct" the
word used for "chastise" in the meaning of "pedeuo" is "sofronizo" which
includes corporal punishment..That spanking is included is also obvious by
the insistence of the writer to say, "no chastening for the moment seemeth
to be joyous, but grievous", as we know a spanking brings tears to the child
and sometimes to the caring parent who spanks too. If the N.T. was against
corporal punishment it would not have it as an example of God's parenting.
Also it would grap the chance to tell us here.

"And ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in
the nurture and admonition of the Lord" (Eph.6:4).

Paul is saying to Christian parents not to provoke their children to anger.
He is saying to respect our children and not call them names, insult them,
etc. he is also warning not to punish them without real reason. Children get
angry if they are unjustly punished. But if the child knows the "laws"
before hand or is in the wrong then he/she accepts punishment and doesn't
get angry if the parents otherwise show a lot of love and understanding, and
spend time with them. Again the word here is "pedia" and includes spanking
also Paul says to follow the admonition of the Lord referring of course to
the O.T. parenting verses. He does not "correct" the "rod" O.T. verses.

"Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged"
(Col.3:21).

Parents when act in a unjust way or ignore their children make them angry.
It also means we must allow our children in a respectful way to express
themselves.Of course he is not referring to discipline because discipline is
meant to discourage a child from doing evil. Again Paul doesn't correct the
"rod" O.T. verses.

[ Meanings of N.T. Greek words from: Lexicon of Ancient Greek (includes N.T.
Greek), by John Stamatakos, Professor University of Athens, p.p.728,529,
966, 659, 388].

In Christ the Lord,
Papaioannou

Ο "Papaioannou" έγραψε στο μήνυμα

[...]