Study: Parents may underestimate spanking force

Old August 17th 03, 04:13 AM
Chris

Default Study: Parents may underestimate spanking force

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/...K11/TPScience/

Spanking Parents may be unaware of force

by Stephen Strauss

Every about-to-be-spanked child who has heard a
parent piously pronounce "this hurts me more than it
hurts you" can today reply, "Not according to modern
science, it doesn't."

A new study out of England suggests that parents are
likely hitting their children 40 per cent harder
than they think they are.

Daniel Wolpert, a professor of neuroscience at
University College London, said his research was
inspired by a contradiction he observed in the
child's game of "slapsie."

The game is played with two people. One puts their
hands out palms up, while the other places both
hands palms down slightly above them. The
lower-handed player then tries to slap the hands
above him.

The contradiction is that "the child doing the
hitting gets great pleasure, while the child getting
hit feels to a large extent just pain," Prof.
Wolpert said.

This inspired him and his colleagues to conduct a
series of laboratory experiments where test subjects
were told to push on someone else's fingers with the
same force that the other person had previously
pushed on them.

The researchers discovered that there was an almost
uniform overestimation of how much force it took to
equal the initial pressure the participants felt.
Eventually, the misreading resulted in a kind of
pressure war with each participant upping the force.

The English group quickly realized their research,
which is published today in the journal Science, had
implications outside the laboratory. "Ours is
effectively a very mild form of spanking. So it
could be when a parent smacks, he or she
underestimates the force they are applying to a
child," Prof. Wolpert said about one obvious larger
implication of the work.

It is a judgment that experts in the area of
spanking say is backed up by a host of other
evidence.

"Two-thirds of all cases of physical abuse started
out as spankings and corporal punishment and then
get out of hand. The parent hits the kid, and the
kid hits back. So the parent ups the ante, the kid
responds, the ante goes up again, and eventually the
parents are not able to judge just what they are
doing," says Murray Straus, a University of New
Hampshire sociologist.

Prof. Wolpert said his research suggests that
people's inability to actually gauge how hard they
are whacking others means that parents who try to
spank no harder than they remember being spanked may
well over-hit.

Old August 20th 03, 11:43 PM
Doan

On 20 Aug 2003, Fred Brown wrote:

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. This is just
Daniel Wolpert's opinion since the "study" did not involve
actually measuring the force parents use when spanking.
Wolpert simply extropolated data from another experiment
and incorrectly applied it to reach a conclusion about spanking.
Just more worthless data that "proves" absolutely nothing.

Typical of Chris Dugan and the "cohort"! ;-) Anything to make that
square peg to fit into the pin-hole, I guess :-) I still remembered
Chris claiming the mothers in Straus et al (1997) are not teenage
mothers. Let's see, mothers ages 21-28 having children 6-9 years of
ages. And he said he "teaches math at the college level"!!!

Doan

Old August 21st 03, 05:48 PM
Doan

On 21 Aug 2003, Fred Brown wrote:

Doan wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, R. Steve Walz wrote:

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. This is just
Daniel Wolpert's opinion since the "study" did not involve
actually measuring the force parents use when spanking.
Wolpert simply extropolated data from another experiment
and incorrectly applied it to reach a conclusion about spanking.
Just more worthless data that "proves" absolutely nothing.
--------------------
I think we should line up his ass and yours and beat on them
awhile, just for fun.
Steve

LOL! Steve at his best! ;-)

Doan

Was that an oxymoron? G

Nope! With Steve, he is just a MORON, period. :-)

Doan

Old August 22nd 03, 06:51 PM
Doan

Doan wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, R. Steve Walz wrote:

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. This is just
Daniel Wolpert's opinion since the "study" did not involve
actually measuring the force parents use when spanking.
Wolpert simply extropolated data from another experiment
and incorrectly applied it to reach a conclusion about spanking.
Just more worthless data that "proves" absolutely nothing.
--------------------
I think we should line up his ass and yours and beat on them
awhile, just for fun.
Steve

LOL! Steve at his best! ;-)

Doan

Was that an oxymoron? G

Nope! With Steve, he is just a MORON, period. :-)

Doan

Hehe, the last time I ran into him he was doing his "all power
to the workers" routine where brain surgeons and ditch diggers
should get equal pay.

Yup! That's him and his "utopia"! ;-) From each, according to his
ability; to each, according to his "needs". Workers of the world, unite!
To do what? To kill off all the "bourgoise", of course! ;-) Stalin, Mao
and Polpot all followed this dream.

Doan

Old August 24th 03, 04:29 AM
R. Steve Walz

Doan wrote in message
[...]

No they didn't, you ****ing liar!
Steve

Debate on spanking Doan General 0 June 12th 04 08:30 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane General 13 December 10th 03 03:30 AM
Kids should work. LaVonne Carlson General 22 December 7th 03 05:27 AM
| Kids should work... Kane General 1 December 6th 03 09:11 PM
Study: Parents may underestimate spanking force Chris General 4 August 24th 03 04:29 AM