IL: Head of Ranch school sez DCFS wrong

Old September 24th 04, 03:20 PM
Fern5827

Default IL: Head of Ranch school sez DCFS wrong

http://www.wqad.com/Global/story.asp...6&nav=1sW7QOIW

Head told to leave after 34 years on the job.

DCFS investigated and ruled against him, but after an appeal hearing was held,
and no staff members saw any wrongdoing, he was cleared.

Coal Valley, IL -- Chris Minor Reports
Former Arrowhead Ranch leader talks about abuse allegation
Email to a Friend Printer Friendly Version

POSTED: 8/30/01 4:33 PM

By Chris Minor

COAL VALLEY, IL -- Just months away from retirement, former Arrowhead Ranch
Superintendent Gary Brown says he couldn't believe he was being asked to leave
amid an allegation he physically abused a troubled teen there.

''It hurt greatly to be told you have to leave the grounds now, and I can't
even clean out my office. People cleared my office out and brought everything
to my house in a box.''

Brown talked publicly about the incident and the allegation Monday in an
exclusive interview.

''The boy said I strangled him, he reported to his group leader that I
strangled him,'' Brown said.

Brown says the boy was out of control, jumping on top of a dresser in a closet,
when he told the boy to get down. He says the boy told him ''no f---ing
way,.'' so he grabbed the boy by the shoulders and yelled at him.

''I had my hands on the shoulders, I didn't touch his neck at all. I took him
and pulled him out of the closet. In my opinion, that boy was in such bad shape
he needed it, but the Department of Children and Family Services says you can't
touch a kid. I overstepped my bounds, I shouldn't have grabbed his shoulders.''

Article continues:

[...]

Brown, the boss at the award-winning facility for 34 years, was put on paid
administrative leave. DCFS investigated the incident and ruled against Brown.
He then appealed the case, and after six hours of testimony, an administrative
judge ruled in Brown's favor. Brown relied on several of his staff members
testimony.

''They saw it very plainly, they went in and testified to the judge that in no
way did I ever have my hands on his throat, or attempt to hurt the boy. This
boy went too far, I went too far, maybe, but, I did not try to hurt or strangle
him.''

Brown says still, damage was done. He couldn't talk publicly while the case was
still pending. There were rumors and whispers of sex abuse. At a time when
Brown should have been going out on top, he was struggling to retain his
reputation.

(snip)

He further goes on to say that DCFS should work at such an institution for a
short time to learn what goes on.