Foster Parent Conference

Old April 26th 05, 08:39 PM
wexwimpy

Default Foster Parent Conference

Foster Parent Conference

by Chris Cato

To look at the crowd at the Foster and Adoptive Parent Conference, you
would think it impossible that there's a shortage of caring parents.
Every person there was either a foster parent, an adoptive parent, or
they're training to become one. But CPS officials say they still need
more.

Theresa Martinez, a Foster Home Adoption Supervisor for Child
Protective Services, said, "we are always looking for foster parents."

Martinez says many people just don't think they have the right
qualifications to become a foster parent. But Martinez says that just
isn't the case.

Martinez said, "you don't have to be perfect, none of our families are
perfect. We're not asking our foster families to be perfect, we're
asking them to open their homes up to children who have a need to live
in a safe and stable home where they're loved."

A stable home like Sharee Shankle's. She's a new foster parent who
says all you need is a loving family environment.

Shankle said, "I love helping kids, I've been working with kids for
like 8 years doing daycare and all that stuff. I love it."

If a proposed bill before the State Senate becomes law, several foster
parents will no longer be able to take in children because of their
sexual orientation. That could leave even less foster homes for some
children, placing more strain on the agency, but CPS employees say
they'll just have to adjust.

Martinez said, "as an agency, you know, we're going to follow the
policy and laws that are implemented."

Martinez says whatever the Texas Legislature decides, they'll still
need more foster families.

If being a foster parents sounds ideal to you, just contact your local
CPS office.

The bill in question has already passed the Texas House by an
overwhelming vote of 135 to 6. The measure would place a ban on
homosexuals or bisexuals from becoming foster parents.

If they're a current foster parent, the foster children would be
removed from their home.

Key legislators in the Texas Senate are now vowing to fight the
measure that was a last minute addition to a CPS Reform Bill. Members
of the Texas State Senate say they're afraid with all the attention
being placed on the ban, the actual reform behind the bill could be
lost.
http://www.ktre.com/Global/story.asp...0&nav=2FH5Z1f9

Defend your civil liberties! Get information at http://www.aclu.org, become a member at http://www.aclu.org/join and get active at http://www.aclu.org/action.