First Time Parents need some help

Old March 19th 04, 02:44 AM
MRC403

Default First Time Parents need some help

Wife was told she was 1.5cm on wednesday morning and cervix was 90% efaced she
has been feeling slight contractions on and off since monday but nothing else.
Because of the internal exam they said she may feel crampy but now she says she
is still feeling crampy and feels the baby move less and less. Of course the
baby has moved down but we are so nervous. How normal is this and should we be
flipping out because I am starting to! Dr said they would induce on mon night
or tues but i will have a breakdown before then. They are inducing because of
the gestational diabetes diagnosis by the way.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated
Thanks
Old March 19th 04, 03:06 AM
Ericka Kammerer

MRC403 wrote:

Wife was told she was 1.5cm on wednesday morning and cervix was 90% efaced she
has been feeling slight contractions on and off since monday but nothing else.
Because of the internal exam they said she may feel crampy but now she says she
is still feeling crampy and feels the baby move less and less. Of course the
baby has moved down but we are so nervous. How normal is this and should we be
flipping out because I am starting to! Dr said they would induce on mon night
or tues but i will have a breakdown before then. They are inducing because of
the gestational diabetes diagnosis by the way.

It's perfectly normal to be that dilated and effaced
and not yet be in labor. It's perfectly normal to have
off and on contractions for a while--even weeks. It's
perfectly normal for the baby to move down. The lack
of movement may or may not be worrisome. Babies often
move less at the end, as they don't have much room to
wiggle around. On the other hand, if she really feels
like there's a problem with the lack of movement, she
should have that checked out.
The induction is a whole 'nother issue. Barring
other evidence of problems, many experts would say induction
before 42 weeks for gestational diabetes is not warranted.
What in particular is making you nervous? If it's
just that things are moving slowly and you're getting
jumpy wondering if every contraction is "it," then
I certainly sympathize but I'd suggest you just
relax ;-) As frustrating as it is, labor just often
goes this way and it's perfectly normal. Would you
really want to accept the potential for additional
risk and a more difficult labor to make something
perfectly normal go away?
Again, if you are really worried about the
lack of movement (say, if the baby stops moving and
changing positions or drinking something cold and
sweet doesn't get it moving, or if there's a really
significant change), then have that checked out.
Otherwise, welcome to the life of a parent, where
you'll have all sorts of opportunities to be driven
crazy with worry ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 19th 04, 03:20 AM
Ralph Flikweert

I have just had my first, (beautiful daughter - 3months) I was 2cm dilated
for about two weeks before I had her. I was also induced and everything went
great! She also stopped moving as much during that time and I was told from
my Dr. that alot of babies rest up and prepare for the 'big day'. Ralph was
also 'flipping out' and so was I but everything turned out! We wish you all
the best and let us know the results!!
Our little girl was born 12/17/03 and weighed 8'5!!
Good Luck!
Michelle

Old March 19th 04, 03:43 AM
MRC403

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement she has felt the baby move a few
times in the last 1/2hr but god we were going crazy and we even called the dr
who by the way hasn't called back yet!

Thanks Again
Old March 19th 04, 04:44 AM
Larry McMahan

MRC403 writes:
: Wife was told she was 1.5cm on wednesday morning and cervix was 90% efaced she
: has been feeling slight contractions on and off since monday but nothing else.
: Because of the internal exam they said she may feel crampy but now she says she
: is still feeling crampy and feels the baby move less and less. Of course the
: baby has moved down but we are so nervous. How normal is this and should we be
: flipping out because I am starting to! Dr said they would induce on mon night
: or tues but i will have a breakdown before then. They are inducing because of
: the gestational diabetes diagnosis by the way.

: Any words of wisdom would be appreciated
: Thanks

Yes, refuse induction unless other indications warrent it.
See Ericka's posts on the uselessness of inducing for GD.

Larry
Old March 19th 04, 06:22 AM
Chotii

"Larry McMahan" wrote in message
MRC403 writes:
[...]

I'm twitchy about the "she may feel crampy because of the internal exam"
thing. That doesn't sound like an "exam" to me. It sounds more invasive.
Invasive == increased risk of infection, increased risk of "oops, I
accidentally broke your membrane" and lots of other things that are
unnecessary.

--angela

Old March 19th 04, 06:48 AM
Kereru

.. .

MRC403 writes:
[...]

I though the same thing. Judy

Old March 19th 04, 05:17 PM
toypup

"MRC403" wrote in message
Wife was told she was 1.5cm on wednesday morning and cervix was 90% efaced

she
has been feeling slight contractions on and off since monday but nothing

else.
Because of the internal exam they said she may feel crampy but now she

says she
is still feeling crampy and feels the baby move less and less. Of course

the
baby has moved down but we are so nervous. How normal is this and should

we be
flipping out because I am starting to! Dr said they would induce on mon

night
or tues but i will have a breakdown before then. They are inducing because

of
the gestational diabetes diagnosis by the way.

The handout I received from the hospital said that the idea that babies move
less just before birth is a myth, come in if the baby moves less.

I saw 3 docs 4 days before delivery, 2 days before delivery and the night of
delivery. I had been coming in for contractions. The last time, my
contractions were every two minutes. All three docs sent me home but said
to come in immediately if the baby started moving less. I asked one doc
why. I figured the answer was either the baby is coming or something is
wrong. The doc told me that it is a sign that the baby sick.

Not to worry you, but if it really seems the baby is moving less, I'd at
least give a call or come in.