Newborn feeding

Old May 27th 04, 11:41 AM
A&G&K

Default Newborn feeding

"Monika McMahan" wrote in message
news:Vndtc.2119$n_6.209@attbi_s53...

"A&G&K" wrote in message

Another point of interest is that my LC said she has generally noticed

the
problem more often in those of us who pretty much wore a bra every

waking
minute since puberty and that may contribute to flattened nipples.

Well, I'm not an expert or anything, just my personal experience: I was

born
with inverted nipples. I am not someone who "wore a bra every waking
minute", quite the contrary: I hate bras and only use them to prevent
contact dermatitis under my breasts.

Monika

I think it was more of a general observation rather than the rule.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old May 27th 04, 08:08 PM
rlswain

I wanted to add a bit my experience with nipple shields...

They were wonderful, and saved our nursing relationship. I don't know for
sure why my daughter wasn't able to latch on. I had 3-4 lactation
consultants over a period of 4-5 days and nothing seemed to help. Finally
out of desperation one of the LCs recommended nipple shields, and my
daughter latched on immediately. It was such a relief! I was told
repeatedly that I should wean her off the shields, but whenever I tried, we
couldn't seem to get it right, and since they were working out so well for
us, we used them every nursing until she weaned at a year. It's better to
do it naturally of course, but this alternative was a whole lot better than
stopping entirely. I would have felt forced to give up, and we both would
have really missed out.

As an aside, because of the shields, I never had any sort of nipple pain,
and even when her teeth came in and she bit me, I could barely feel it.

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 26 May 2004 02:52:55 +0000, Elizabeth H Bonesteel wrote:

Is it harming her, being so hungry for so long? Should we give in to

the
siren call of formula? I know we'd be dooming ourselves to bottles; but
given that she's had nothing but frustration at the nipple so far, maybe
we're already there.

For a newborn there is not much harm in "eating" very small amounts the
first few days after birth. Her stomach it tiny (thimble size) anyway, and
she has enough reserves of her own to make it through a week at least.
Plus the colostrum is nutritious enough that very small amounts are
sufficient for her needs.

I know it can be hard to get started, it took me the better part of 2
weeks to learn, and eventually I had to resort to nipple shields. The
problem was similar to yours: DS would not latch right, and my nipples
were slightly inverted. My milk didn't come in until 10 days after birth
and DS did fine until then without supplementing. If she still has
problems later on, you can consider one of the sets in which you give her
EBM through a small tube while she is nursing.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old May 27th 04, 08:21 PM
Mary W.

rlswain wrote:

I wanted to add a bit my experience with nipple shields...

They were wonderful, and saved our nursing relationship. I don't know for
sure why my daughter wasn't able to latch on. I had 3-4 lactation
consultants over a period of 4-5 days and nothing seemed to help. Finally
out of desperation one of the LCs recommended nipple shields, and my
daughter latched on immediately. It was such a relief! I was told
repeatedly that I should wean her off the shields, but whenever I tried, we
couldn't seem to get it right, and since they were working out so well for
us, we used them every nursing until she weaned at a year. It's better to
do it naturally of course, but this alternative was a whole lot better than
stopping entirely. I would have felt forced to give up, and we both would
have really missed out.

I think nipple shields can really help in certain situations. IIRC, you have
to be sure to watch baby's diaper count, since, in some cases, when
using the nipple shield the breast doesn't get enough stimulation and
supply can be affected. FWIW, my sister started with shields and
was able to wean off them after a couple of months.

Mary

Old May 27th 04, 09:08 PM
Monika McMahan

"Donna" wrote in message

My daughter was born with inverted nipples. Aside from possible nursing
difficulties (not a major worry since she's not even two yet smile) are
there any issues that come with this?

The main problem for me (other than the nursing) was self-image. I never
did think anyone could possibly find my breasts attractive.

Monika