The Underbelly of ME/CFS Politics Revealed

Old September 1st 05, 08:30 AM
john

Default The Underbelly of ME/CFS Politics Revealed

THE ONE CLICK STORY http://www.theoneclickgroup.co.uk/

The Underbelly of ME/CFS Politics Revealed

CONTENTS

Foreword by Martin J. Walker
Introduction
The One Click Smear Campaign
Ellen Goudsmit, Psychologist
Police Raid and Arrest - Jane Colby of TYMES Trust and the Countess
of Mar et al
Legal Comment
Conclusion

FOREWORD BY MARTIN J. WALKER

Following the publication in 1993 of my book Dirty Medicine, which was
mainly about the newly emerged Campaign Against Health Fraud, I was
subjected to a series of dirty tricks, lawyers' letters and biased
newspaper references to my work. Of course, when I reported these to
anyone or tried to convince people of the veracity of my case, it was
often seen as an extension of either my conspiracy theories or my more
personal paranoia.

Twelve years on, with the war against Iraq, with thousands of deaths
caused by pharmaceutical drugs, with such scandals as the gathering
number of children taken into care by social services for the flimsiest
of reasons and with the campaign by vested interests to force through
GM crops in Britain, it is possible that we are all somewhat wiser
about the nature of conspiracies. You would not have to be politically
na=EFve, however, to be shocked and surprised by the case of Jane Bryant
and Angela Kennedy. It involves the psychiatric community, undoubtedly
one of the most powerful networks in the contemporary developed world,
pharmaceutical company agents, including one in particular who has
spent the past decade harassing activists and professionals committed
to alternative health, and, more unusually, it involves the police.

I well remember the years of investigation into the Metropolitan
Police, the drug squad, the porn squad and then the robbery squad.
There was always a sense during those enquiries that the truth would
emerge and that, on a broader level, new regulations and codes of
practice would evolve which would combat such institutional corruption.
In a similar way, more recently, revelations of the corruption of
pharmaceutical companies and the science of corporate organisations
have generated an awareness in society of conflicts of interests, which
should lead to change.

The one real difference between then and now, however, is that then the
government were willing to listen and the media invariably enjoyed
playing an investigative role, while now the government is deeply
complicit in spin, and sadly investigative journalism is a dying art.

What has been happening within the world of ME for at least 20 years is
worthy of investigation at the highest level, ending in a Royal
Commission or a Judicial Inquiry. It involves the creation of fake
illness categories in order to hide a massive number of seriously ill
patients; the infiltration of voluntary sector patient groups by
pharmaceutical and insurance agents; the abuse of social research
methods, particularly epidemiology; lies, propaganda, media spin and
stealthy misinformation campaigns against activists.

With the case of Jane Bryant and Angela Kennedy, and the arrival of
four heavily-protected police officers on Bryant's doorstep one
morning in April 2005, the covert nature of this conspiracy changed.
For the first time, the State showed its hand clearly in what had up
until then been an argument within the ME community.

Jane Bryant was charged with 'harassment', ironically under a law
introduced to protect lone women from stalkers. With the law being used
to aid stalkers and with the State and the NHS prosecuting, the battle
to do away with dissent in the ME community has revealed itself as
public policy. And when Jane was told by a senior police officer that,
while she might not have broken any laws by campaigning for people with
ME, she should have 'moderated her language', we know that we have
stumbled into the contemporary equivalent of 1984.

Martin Walker
August 2005

Martin Walker is the author of 'Skewed'.
In 'Skewed', Martin Walker takes a penetrating look at the
'emerging illnesses': Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS), Gulf War
Syndrome (GWS), Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) and Chronic Fatigue
Syndrome (CFS). You may obtain a copy of 'Skewed' from Cygnus Books
at http://www.cygnus-books.co.uk/