crying it out

Old January 19th 04, 05:03 PM
Elizabeth Reid

Default crying it out

"Tig" wrote in message . ..
after how long of crying should i go and pick him up? my 2 month old will
not fall asleep in his playpen or crib... only in his carseat... and when i
transfer him over he cries and wakes up and wont go to sleep... for the
past week hes been sleeping in his car seat...

Two months is too little to do any kind of cry-it-out method.
The general recommendation is no sooner than six months. When
a baby that little cries, someone should pick him up.

Personally, I'd let him sleep in his car seat, but I gather
that there's some worry now that sleeping in car seats can
lead to poorer breathing. I assume it's the 'baby bucket'
kind of car seat? It seems like the two things that are
different about the car seat are a) it's probably at an
angle and b) it's probably more enclosing than the crib.
You might try propping his crib mattress at a slight angle,
and have you tried swaddling him? My son slept swaddled
until he was pretty big, at least five months old, and it
helped a lot.

Anyway, though, hard as it is, he needs you to respond when
he cries at this stage of his life.

Beth

Old January 20th 04, 03:11 PM
Donna

"Tig" wrote in message
after how long of crying should i go and pick him up? my 2 month old will
not fall asleep in his playpen or crib... only in his carseat... and when

transfer him over he cries and wakes up and wont go to sleep... for the
past week hes been sleeping in his car seat...

Two months is too early for crying it out. Until about four months old, if
they are crying, they need you, so go fix whatever is wrong.

Hang in there. Just a few more months of this.

Donna

Old January 20th 04, 04:28 PM
Scott

Donna wrote:
"Tig" wrote in message

after how long of crying should i go and pick him up? my 2 month old will
not fall asleep in his playpen or crib... only in his carseat... and when

transfer him over he cries and wakes up and wont go to sleep... for the
past week hes been sleeping in his car seat...

Two months is too early for crying it out. Until about four months old, if
they are crying, they need you, so go fix whatever is wrong.

Hang in there. Just a few more months of this.

My kids cried at 2 months for no apparent reason, other than
to let off steam. Or maybe that was at 4 months? Long time
ago. It's not always possible to fix whatever is wrong [I
find this true with pre-teens as well ] If they are dry,
fed, not apparently gassy or being poked by clothing tags,
MHO is that crying isn't gonna cause them any harm.

Scott DD 10.5 and DS 7.9