kids and curls

Old May 27th 04, 01:36 PM
ted

Default kids and curls

What is this I hear about kids born with really thick curly hair
losing curls after a year or so? I heard my mom say that I was born
with curly hair but after I had my first haircut I totally lost them.
I saw a little girl in our neighborhood. When we first moved in, she
was about two years old. Beautiful curly hair. Now she's four and all
her hair has straightened up. Same with my nephew. Changed after two
years or so.

Anyone knows why?

Thanks.
Old May 27th 04, 05:16 PM
Denise Anderson

"ted" wrote in message
om...
What is this I hear about kids born with really thick curly hair
losing curls after a year or so? I heard my mom say that I was born
with curly hair but after I had my first haircut I totally lost them.
I saw a little girl in our neighborhood. When we first moved in, she
was about two years old. Beautiful curly hair. Now she's four and all
her hair has straightened up. Same with my nephew. Changed after two
years or so.

Anyone knows why?

Thanks.

I don't think it happens to all my children. My daughter is almost 6 and
still has super thick, curly blonde hair after many many hair cuts. I spent
the first 2 years of her life wishing it would go straight.

Denise

Old May 27th 04, 06:36 PM
Sue

Two of my girls have curly hair. It is only straight when we blow dry it.
Otherwise, it is curly.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

om...

Old May 27th 04, 08:01 PM
Leigh Menconi

"ted" wrote in message
om...
What is this I hear about kids born with really thick curly hair
losing curls after a year or so? I heard my mom say that I was born
with curly hair but after I had my first haircut I totally lost them.
I saw a little girl in our neighborhood. When we first moved in, she
was about two years old. Beautiful curly hair. Now she's four and all
her hair has straightened up. Same with my nephew. Changed after two
years or so.

Anyone knows why?

Thanks.

My mother in law tells me that my husband had lots of curls until he was
about 2 and then it went straight until he hit puberty and then it got all
curly again. I'm expecting the same thing to happen with my oldest son's
hair since his was curly ringlets when he was little. He's nine now and
it's showing signs of getting wavy when it gets long (which is why he likes
to keep it short).

Leigh

Old May 27th 04, 09:07 PM
Patricia Cecilia Pichardo

ted wrote:
: What is this I hear about kids born with really thick curly hair
: losing curls after a year or so? I heard my mom say that I was born
: with curly hair but after I had my first haircut I totally lost them.
: I saw a little girl in our neighborhood. When we first moved in, she
: was about two years old. Beautiful curly hair. Now she's four and all
: her hair has straightened up. Same with my nephew. Changed after two
: years or so.

: Anyone knows why?

Me and both my sisters had that happen, not so much with mine because my hair is thicker,
but theirs and my little cousin's were like that. Apparently it has to
do with texture and weight of the hair as babies. As soon as the curls
were cut they were gone forever.

--
Patricia Cecilia Pichardo
Email:
Old May 27th 04, 09:48 PM
Nikki

H Schinske wrote:

Many straight-haired people's hair comes in curly after chemotherapy,
but usually those curls don't last.

I was just going to mention that I used to work with a woman that
experienced this. Her hair stayed curly though.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old May 27th 04, 10:27 PM
Kelly

"H Schinske" wrote in message

I've sometimes seen it go the other way -- kids born with straight hair

gradually developing
curls.

Both my girls were born with straight hair and it was mostly straight till
about 12 months old and then, it started to get curly... My eldest has
really curly hair and looks like a mess when she wakes up - half the time
she looks like Kramer the other half Krusty the clown.. The youngest hair
is straight on top and really curly at the back...
--
Kelly
Mummy to Emily (12 Aug 01) and Isabella (5 Dec 02)

Old May 28th 04, 01:26 AM
Rosalie B.

"Denise Anderson" wrote:

"ted" wrote in message
. com...
What is this I hear about kids born with really thick curly hair
losing curls after a year or so? I heard my mom say that I was born
with curly hair but after I had my first haircut I totally lost them.
I saw a little girl in our neighborhood. When we first moved in, she
was about two years old. Beautiful curly hair. Now she's four and all
her hair has straightened up. Same with my nephew. Changed after two
years or so.

Anyone knows why?

Thanks.

I don't think it happens to all my children. My daughter is almost 6 and
still has super thick, curly blonde hair after many many hair cuts. I spent
the first 2 years of her life wishing it would go straight.

IIRC, there are two different genes (at least) that control hair
curliness - one for curly and one for wavy.

DHs family all has very curly hair (well my FIL was bald so I don't
know about him, but dh and his mom and sister had kinky curly hair -
his brother has straight hair). My MIL told me that my SIL had curly
hair until she had a high fever with some one of the childhood
diseases when she was about 12 and that her hair was straight for
awhile after that.

My mom has wavy hair, and so do I. My sister's hair is straight. Of
my children, dd#1 has kinky hair, which it is impossible to do
anything with - she was born bald and stayed bald until after her
first bday. DD#2 has hair that's is not as curly and can be styled.
She had hair when she was born but not curly. DD#3 has hair that's
curlier than dd#2 and not as curly as dd#1. She was also bald as a
kid. Her dh has curly hair which he keeps cropped short so it doesn't
curl, and her ds has the same kind of hair and ditto and her dd has
hair much like she did as a child. Both these babies were bald (which
I prefer)

My ds OTOH had dark straight hair when he was born, and it came in
blond at the roots but stayed straight.

grandma Rosalie