full moon?

Old December 5th 03, 02:17 AM
Liz S. Reynolds

Default full moon?

So with my duedate come and gone I'm getting antsy and everyone is calling
"to see how I am".

My MIL remarked that between the snowstorm and full moon coming up
something should happen. I was thinking of the snow too on the theory that
babies naturally maximize inconvenience, but hadn't heard of the full moon
thing. Snow is expected tomorrow into Saturday although not nearly as much
as where my MIL is, probably not a big deal here at all. The full moon will
be on Sunday.

My MIL is a retired RN, and worked for many years in the newborn nursery at
a few different hospitals. She said the maternity ward would get swamped
during full moons. I'm intrigued, anyone else heard of this or have similar
observational experience?

-Liz

Old December 5th 03, 02:32 AM
Jody Pellerin

My fiancé's mother is a RN at our local hospital and that place is packed
every which way during the full moon. Not sure why a full moon would cause
it but it does seem to be the myth.
"Liz S. Reynolds" wrote in message
So with my duedate come and gone I'm getting antsy and everyone is calling
"to see how I am".

My MIL remarked that between the snowstorm and full moon coming up
something should happen. I was thinking of the snow too on the theory that
babies naturally maximize inconvenience, but hadn't heard of the full moon
thing. Snow is expected tomorrow into Saturday although not nearly as much
as where my MIL is, probably not a big deal here at all. The full moon will
be on Sunday.

My MIL is a retired RN, and worked for many years in the newborn nursery at
a few different hospitals. She said the maternity ward would get swamped
during full moons. I'm intrigued, anyone else heard of this or have similar
observational experience?

-Liz

---

Old December 5th 03, 02:36 AM
SuperEeyore

"Liz S. Reynolds" wrote in message
I'm intrigued, anyone else heard of this or have similar
observational experience?

I don't know but...

http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/vphase.html

Let's find out what everyone was born on here!

It looks like I was born when only half the moon was showing.

When my birthson was born only a quarter of it was showing (but that was
inducing).

And when my daughter was born it was a new moon, where none was showing.

Laurel

Old December 5th 03, 02:40 AM
Liz S. Reynolds

In article ,
Jody Pellerin wrote:
My fiancé's mother is a RN at our local hospital and that place is packed
every which way during the full moon. Not sure why a full moon would cause
it but it does seem to be the myth.

found a calculator, my brother, myself, and my DD were all born pretty near
the new moon and pretty far from the full. I'm suspecting I don't have the
genes to be susceptical to it. I wanted to check on my mom but the calendar
only went back to 1951.

-Liz
Old December 5th 03, 02:42 AM
Karen

Weird, looks to be that both me and dh were born on full moons.

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 1/2 and someone due 4/24/04-

Old December 5th 03, 03:16 AM
Ericka Kammerer

SuperEeyore wrote:

I don't know but...

http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/vphase.html

Let's find out what everyone was born on here!

With two of my kids, the moon was almost dark. With
one, it was a few days before full.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old December 5th 03, 03:59 AM
Mary

My MIL is a retired RN, and worked for many years in the newborn nursery at
a few different hospitals. She said the maternity ward would get swamped
during full moons. I'm intrigued, anyone else heard of this or have similar
observational experience?

I went into labor on the full moon. Stubborn little thing wasn't born
for a few days, but at least part of the process was started!

Mary S.
mom to the Sproutkin, 21 months

Old December 5th 03, 04:03 AM
JennP

wrote in message
SuperEeyore wrote:

I don't know but...

http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/vphase.html

Let's find out what everyone was born on here!

Looks like Matthew was born on a full or very close to full moon. Kind of
hard to tell and I went forward and back a few days.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old December 5th 03, 04:15 AM
Fer

Neat! I was a half moon and both of my kids were 3/4 moon. I wonder if this
one will follow their trend....that would make it around the 7th of June and
July, I'm voting for June as long as he/she is fully cooked then :-)

--

Jenn
-WAHM

Old December 5th 03, 04:48 AM
Irrational Number

Liz S. Reynolds wrote:

My MIL is a retired RN, and worked for many years in the newborn nursery at
a few different hospitals. She said the maternity ward would get swamped
during full moons. I'm intrigued, anyone else heard of this or have similar
observational experience?

If I had to hypothesize... back in the old days
before artificial light, women's menses probably
were much more synched to the moon (the cycle being
29 1/2 days and women staying together in the huts
during their period). Being synchronized with the
moon cycle would mean ovulating at the full moon.
Which would therefore mean giving birth around the
full moon.

This doesn't explain the phenomenon now (if there
is indeed one), what with artificial light as well
as hormonal (and other) contraceptives.

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE