New Here -- In need of help!

Old November 12th 07, 04:34 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Beth Kevles

Default New Here -- In need of help!

Hi --

Sometimes when one has a cold, one gets the kind of sore throat that
makes it painful to swallow. Painful ears can do the same thing, I
think. So if your baby-with-cold goes on a nursing strike, there are
several things you can try:

1. Try to get her nose clear before nursing so she can breathe. A trip
to a steamy bathroom, nasal suction, or a bit of saline into the
nose may help.
2. Provide anti-pain medication 30-60 minutes before nursing.
3. If baby is getting dehydrated, get fluids in however necessary. Try
a spoon or a cup. Dehydration is very risky for infants.
4. If the diaper count drops for too long, or if baby develops fever or
other worrisome symptoms, call the baby's doctor promptly.

Good luck,
--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.
Old November 12th 07, 05:03 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

On Nov 11, 5:15 pm, "Linda" wrote:
Hi Julie, glad she seems to be doing better now. Just an idea on the Ouch
thing - I read in one of my books that when the baby bites to pull their
head in close right squashed up onto the breast so they are uncomfortable
and push themselves away through natural reflexes. This seemed to help with
my DD although it's hard to make sure you dont' flinch at the same time due
to the biting!

This is generally a very good idea for how to deal with biting. It
usually works by blocking the baby's nose and forcing her to release
her bite in order to breathe. Since the baby doesn't like the
procedure too well, it also tends to deter future biting.

In the case of biting due to a cold, the biting happens when the
baby's nose is too plugged up for breathing while nursing. She tries
to mouth breathe while nursing, constantly latching halfway on and off
and accidentally biting. Since her nose is already too plugged up for
breathing, pulling her in to block the nose is less likely to help and
more likely to be frightening.

--Betsy

Old November 12th 07, 05:38 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Julie[_4_]

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll have to try to remember that for
the biting. She really doesn't bite while nursing that often (Though she
does bite at other times!), but that makes sense that she was biting because
she couldn't breathe good. She's doing a little better with her breathing
now, though. She's even nursing awake some, but at other times she still
rejects it. She's hardly sleeping, and I'm exhausted! Her diaper count was
up a little better today, though. I nursed her every time she would let me
today. I had pumped while she was on strike, but not maybe enough, so my
milk supply might be down some. I'm hoping that's back up soon. This has
been very stressful for both of us... I really appreciate all of your
suggestions. When I found this group, I was very discouraged. I thought
breastfeeding was over, but was VERY stressed by it, because she wont take a
bottle hardly. Now, though, she's even breastfeeding again. I'm so thankful
for online searches! Thank you soooo much everyone!

--
JULIE WEST
"betsy" wrote in message
oups.com...