Now see

Old November 4th 04, 02:25 AM

"Karen O'Mara" wrote in message
m...
"V" wrote in message

I recently saw a medic-alert tag that can be worn on a watchband that
looked real nice... sort of like a charm. It was gold. Want me to see
if I can find out more what it is?...

Karen

Please! Yes!
I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

Here's one...

http://www.id-technology.com/mediband.htm

But, you know, just thinking out loud, maybe some of the i.d.
bracelets made of gold or silver can be engraved with medical
information?...

qvc.com, hsn.com, ashford.com, ice.com have them maybe.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for more ideas.

Karen

Danka baby!

Old November 4th 04, 10:47 AM
Moon Shyne

"V" wrote in message

I recently saw a medic-alert tag that can be worn on a watchband that
looked real nice... sort of like a charm. It was gold. Want me to see
if I can find out more what it is?...

Karen

Please! Yes!
I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

Here's one...

http://www.id-technology.com/mediband.htm

But, you know, just thinking out loud, maybe some of the i.d.
bracelets made of gold or silver can be engraved with medical
information?...

qvc.com, hsn.com, ashford.com, ice.com have them maybe.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for more ideas.

One thing to keep in mind with the less expensive ones, folks - if you are
allergic to nickel or nickel sulfate (base metal, used in less expensive and
costume jewelry, allergy results in a red itchy rash that looks like little
blisters), beware - I have 3 different allergy bracelets, that as soon as they
engraved the allergy information, it exposed the base metal, and I ended up
allergic to my allergy bracelets.

If you have an allergy to nickel, you need to stick with stainless steel,
surgical steel, real sterling silver or real gold (not the gold plated over base
metal, trust me on this one)

Of course, if you have an allergy to nickel, you already know this, right? :-)

Karen

Old November 4th 04, 03:32 PM
xkatx

"Bebelestrnge0721" wrote in message ...
"'Kate" wrote in message ...

Prozac is known to have a nasty side effect. It can cause suicide.
Stopping the drug has side effects too. Ask the MHMRA or your
therapist for information.

Yeah........we have been aware of this, apparently there really are no
"Safe"
anti-depressants for kids?

I know this is old news, but you're right. Anti-depressants, for adults or
children, are never 100% safe. Anti-depressants are drugs. Although I
can't remember exactly how old your daughter is, but I do remember that when
I was about 15, I was started on Tegretol (Carbamazepine) and I'm still on
it. Sure, there's side effects, but really, it's one of the many drugs I
take that I actually find have not too many and horrible side effects. Of
everything I've been on (and yes, that list is a freaking mile long) the Teg
hasn't been horrible (when compared to something like Wellbutrin, which I
found I gained so much weight with, or something like Depakote, which I
still take and makes me shake on a regular basis even after all these years)

There is sense to her signing herself in. It is an admission that she
knows and is committed to getting well. Once she is admitted, the
professionals will work to help her understand what is going on.

I have spent the past few days addressing exactly this with
her.......Tues. I
will have the backing of the therapist, in convincing her to do this for
herself.

From a very close perspective of where your daughter sits in this, I can
tell you right off the bat that this might not be the best thing to do.
You, and the therapist, are seen more as authority figures. Having her
(your daughter) sit through you and the therapist, either together or
seperate, both saying the same things and both trying to convince her, might
have more of a negative vibe coming towards your daughter. You are her
mother, there's no need to try and be her best friend, but you can still
show her you love her, care about and for her, and want only what's best for
her. The therapist should be keeping a professional, yet personal opinion,
and I kind of get the feeling, just by reading what's been said so far,
that, to your daughter, going abouts 'convincing' her might make her feel
that she is being ambushed. I have no idea what kind of relationship she
currently has with the therapist, but if she has even a small level of trust
with the therapist, that might be lost if she gets the feeling that the two
of you (you+therapist) are almost plotting (for lack of a better word) to
get her to do what you believe to be best.

I could very well be wrong, and I know this is an old part of the thread,
but just from what I've read, I can definitely relate because I've been
there, done that, still there and still doing that. Just be very cautious.
No one with illnesses wants to be known or felt as some freak under
microscope, and because I know I felt that way at times under somewhat
similar circumstances, I can only suggest what I can. Do correct me if you
see I'm wrong, and I'm really not trying to offend or insult you, or
anything like that.

You have options other than waiting for your daughter to sign herself
in or waiting for the appointment on the 23 Nov. Find out abou these
options from the MHMRA or your therapist. Do not hesitate to call 911
if you feel that she may be a danger to herself or a danger to others
or if her mental health deteriorates rapidly.

Thanks for the suggestions
Bev

'Kate

--