need some advice....

Old October 24th 04, 11:21 PM
slykitten

Default need some advice....

hi....
I'm simply frustrated. I've been sick the last few days with this awful flu,
only today it's turned into a respiratory infection. This means I get to
take a trip to the doctor tomorrow! UGH! oh well.... But today... I've been
desperate to take a couple of hours and take a nap. What really stinks is
that my significant other is also sick. We're taking turns with dealing with
the kids. We both have very hoarse voices and just feel crummy in general.
Here's where the frustration grows.... I've posted about my son and his
behavioral issues. I take him to a psychiatrist every month, we have a
therapist who comes to our house (knock on wood! boy did we luck out!) and
works around our schedule as much as possible, his school has increased his
special ed time, we've developed a behavior modification plan (he becomes
violent towards his peers, verbally and physically!) that includes me going
to the school, sometimes every single day! I've even applied for a job as a
teacher's aide at that school! We find ourselves having to physically
restrain him when he goes into one of his violent fits.... I've even been
head-butted a number of times! two weeks ago, he bit a teacher!! We've had
social services called on us because of his violent outbursts at school.
That's why I'm at his school every single day... all day long! We've had his
meds tweaked and after 2 weeks, you'd think there'd be some changes. I've
looked into alternative treatments, nutritional counseling,
accupuncture/accupressure, massage therapy, etc. I think we're doing
everything right.... even the social worker at social services says we're
doing all we can... On Tuesday, at 9 am, we have a meeting with the ART ...
(I guess it stands for "alternative Resource team or something along those
lines) and our therapist will be going as well. I'm starting to feel really
really helpless! How do I not lose hope? How do I not give up? Any advice
would be greatly appreciated! I'm just at my rope's end!
Thanks in advance!

--
"Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."

Old October 24th 04, 11:38 PM
Tiffany

"slykitten" wrote in message
[...]

How old is he again? This must be tough but you asked how do I not give up?
Because you can't! Heck, because you won't. You are a mom and when at wits
end, try to get a break...... when you and your partner feel better.

You've looked into alternative medicine........ did you conclude anything?
Did you try anything? What has these people said when presented with your
situation?

Old October 25th 04, 12:53 AM
slykitten

"Tiffany" wrote in message

"slykitten" wrote in message
[...]

He's 8.... Sometimes when I feel like giving up, kinda like today, I find
myself in my room, face down on the bed with a book in one hand and the
remote in the other. I'm just so tired of him beating on his younger sister.
He doesn't touch his baby sister but my 6 year old daughter, he has no
problem with punching in the mouth! *sigh* it's no wonder I make it a point
to stick with my own therapy!

You've looked into alternative medicine........ did you conclude anything?

I took him to my chiropractor (who also does the accupuncture/accupressure,
E-stim, etc) and he examined my son's neck and head. He told me that it
appears that my son's skull plates might have begun to fuse together before
birth. He also said that it looks as if one or two of his cervical vertebrae
may have twisted and got out of alignment during birth, causing a cervical
subluxation. That may have pinched a couple of nerves which may account for
why my son has banged his head since he was about a year and a half old...
In all, it appears that it may have been a birthing trauma or something
along those lines.

Did you try anything? What has these people said when presented with your
situation?

We've tried the accupressure and some exercise, a little nutrition
counseling and menu planning. So far, we've only been able to get in once
because of our terrible financial situation. I have a part time evening job
which has thankfully supplemented a little bit since my sig other got laid
off from his job. Downsizing/outsourcing sucks! That's a huge thing we talk
about with his therapist... how to reduce stressors. I'll be talking to my
massage therapist to see what she says.... (I'm in contact with the
chiropractor and massage therapist because we were in a minor car accident
back in August which knocked my right shoulder out of whack. We're looking
at another 4 weeks before potential release back to "normalcy!" =)

Old October 25th 04, 01:08 AM
Tiffany

"Tiffany" wrote in message

"slykitten" wrote in message
[...]

Try to find a certified cranialsacral therapist...... here is a website for
info:

www.upledger.com

Acupuncture can do wonders for many things but when dealing with a kid who
may be terrified of the process, it might not be conducive.

As for the spinal sublaxation, fight like hell to get it covered by
insurance so that he can get it done regular.

Cranial Sacral is not intrusive...... check out the site when you can for a
good explanation. If you go that route, make sure the therapist has
completed his/her training. Wish you were around me, I would see him for
free.

Old October 25th 04, 02:51 AM

"slykitten" wrote in message
[...]
teacher's aide at that school! snip for brevity

Do you have some type of advocate to go into the school and help in a special
program for him?
Here we call it a parent assistance center. Where are you and I can see if I
can find someone near you.

Old October 25th 04, 03:02 AM
Bebelestrnge0721

Subject: need some advice....
From: "slykitten" ms
Date: 10/24/2004 6:21 PM Eastern Standard Time
[...]

(((((Sly)))),
I wish I knew what to say, some of what you wrote hits home for me I have been
there done that for some time with my daughter. The daily trips to the school,
the meetings , the phone calls, the insanity day in day out. What is your sons
diagnosis ? How old is he? could any of his behaviors be side effects from the
meds he is on ? I have seen meds make people worse than before the med ? Do you
ever get a break from the stress? Can you qualify for a respite program ? Just
some thoughts.........Hang in there, I know it is hard. Bev

Old October 25th 04, 03:03 AM
slykitten

"Tiffany" wrote in message

"slykitten" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you! Where are you located? It may be worth the trip! As far as I'm
concerned.... anything that can help, I'll take advantage of! I'll check out
that site and I know exactly how to pursuade the insurance company to cover
what he needs.... I have a very strong parent advocate through the ARC of
Dnvr and I've got my chiropractor who can vouch for what my son has.... The
accupressure isn't near as scary as the accupuncture.
I'm not sure if an MRI or an X-ray would show anything.... For now though,
I'll do what little I can afford. I'm going to apply for medicaid and
hopefully more things will open up to us. the only bad thing is that I'll
lose all of my doctors because they simply don't take Medicaid. real
bummer....

Old October 25th 04, 03:21 AM
slykitten

"Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
"'Kate" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:21:04 -0600, "slykitten"
wrote:
snip

I'm starting to feel really
really helpless! How do I not lose hope? How do I not give up? Any advice
would be greatly appreciated! I'm just at my rope's end!
Thanks in advance!

(((( sly ))))

You'll probably feel stronger when you have a little more energy to
deal with things. It's tough to do that when you're sick. And certain
times of life are more difficult than others and all I can say about
that is that the children will grow up and you will have more time to
yourself than you do now. Just hang in there, take care of yourself,
only do what you have to do (shortcuts like paper plates or frozen
foods help). Make sure you take your vitamins, exercise, get enough
sunshine. Plan something good for yourself when you're well. Tempt
the kids to behave with "if we clean up real quickly, I'll take you to
the park for an hour this afternoon" (if that's at all possible).

Sometimes something better is just around the corner. I hope you feel
better soon.

'Kate

Thanks! Right now, it's getting real cold here. I figure that I'll add on a
few more minutes to his computer time or set up an hour for science
experiments and arts and crafts. He loves science! There's a free day at the
zoo that's coming up soon.... But you're right.... first I need to get to
feeling better. =)

Old October 26th 04, 04:05 AM
slykitten

"V" wrote in message

"slykitten" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks! I'm In Colorado. There is supposed to be an advocate for me set up
through the school but of course, we know how well the schools look out for
parents of special needs kids.... oh well... I've got our therapist going
to this meeting tomorrow morning so I'll post an update when I know
something... Thanks so much!

Old October 26th 04, 08:20 PM
Deb

"slykitten" wrote in message ...
[...]

The first thing i'd like to say is, it does get better, eventually.
If his meds have been tweaked and there is no difference, he probably should
not be on those meds. I never gave my son meds, that is a personal choice,
they work for some, not for others. There is a book titled "Why is my child
hyper", I used the diet in this book on my kids, it had no effect on my
oldest son, but the youngest with the violent outbursts, wow, what a difference.
Everything has to be made from scratch, but we all eat healthier(I lost 20 Lbs.)
Just cutting out gum, all hard candy, all soda pop except 7up, candy bars
and pretty much anything with artificial colors and flavors. Yellow and red dyes
are the worst. Anyway, this cut the violent outburst to once every blue moon.
behavior modification is great, but everyone your son deals with has to be on
the same page or you are wasting time and confusing him. Is he in regular
school ?, if so you might try to find a school specifically for behavior issues.
This has been a wonderful thing for my son, he is in a safe environment with
wonderful teachers trained to help him deal, not just deal with him. It's hard
to believe that 3 years later, he is about to walk out of there and go back to
regular school. Don't feel bad about restraining him, its at that point he NEEDS
you to control him because he can't do it himself. It's hell to go through, but
it does get better. Though, I do think it stunts there maturity, some days it's
still like dealing with a 2 year old. Finding alternatives for getting out the
anger, which is basically frustration, helps also. Karate is good, avoid sports
as they can't handle teamwork yet. Also, if you have someone you can trust with
the kids, take yourself out of the situation for a couple hours, this is
benefical to all. my 2 cents
debi the lurker