Advice: Wife Very Pregnant, Don't Know What To Do: I Need to Cook and Clean

Old February 4th 05, 04:59 AM

Rich wrote:
My wife is seven months pregnant and is basically out of commission.

I need
advice. I will have to do the cooking and cleaning and don't really

know
how to do either. I want to show my wife that I can do this for her

without
hiring help.

I don't know, but I'm due in August - are you available from about
July...?

Ok, get yourself a bottle of Clorox Clean Up (LOVE IT!), a roll of
paper towel, and a trash bag. Start in the kitchen. Once all the
dishes are either clean and put away or in the dishwasher (don't forget
to start it). Spray down the counters with CCUp. Wipe until clean
looking. Spray the stove. Wipe until clean. Spray the sinks (or use
Comet, and a sponge, if available). Wipe until clean.

Sweep the floor. I hate dustpans, so I'll sweep, then I'll use the
DustBuster to get the pile up. I find that this is MUCH faster than
the dustpan, and results in less time spent saying, "&$^%" as you sweep
up the pile, again, because you missed the wastebasket.

By this time, the kitchen should be reasonably clean. Look around for
Objects That Belong Somewhere Else. Gather them up at this time and
take them Somewhere Else.

Next, do the bathrooms (I do things in this order because I'll live if
the front entry way isn't swept, but people start getting sick if the
kitchen and bathrooms aren't cleaned often). Start high, finish low.
If there's glass cleaner around, use it on the mirrors. If not, don't
sweat it. Spray the sink and wipe it down. Spray the tank topper on
the toilet and wipe it down. Spray the HANDLE of the toilet (VERY
IMPORTANT) and wipe it down. Spray the lid, then the inside of the
lid, the seat, then the underside of the seat, then the rim of the
bowl, wiping each one down in that order. You might want to let the
CCUp sit on the surface for a bit before wiping. Be sure to get that
cruddy area in the back where gunk collects for no reason, between the
seat and the tank. I'm assuming, by the way, that you're changing your
paper towel and throwing the old one away as often as needed.

If there's special toilet cleanser, now's the time to spray/pour it in
the bowl (aim for just under the rim). If you don't have that, just
dump a cup of bleach (or even CCUp) in the bowl. Let it set for a
while (shut the lid so pets and kids stay out). While you're waiting
for it to do it's thing, sweep the floor in the manner described above.
After that, use the toilet brush to swish the bowl, removing any
accumulation. Flush. Wait for the tank to refill, possibly swishing a
bit more. Flush again, this time, rinsing out the brush with the water
flowing into the bowl. Put the brush back where it goes, and flush one
more time.

Do not mix household chemicals, specifically ammonia and bleach. It
makes toxic fumes. (Household chemistry at its finest).

At this point, your house is what I'd call sanitary. If you do the
kitchen every night, and you do the bathrooms every couple of days, no
one will get sick in the next two months. If you want it to be clean,
you need to go around to all the rooms and find those Things that
Belong Somewhere Else and put them where they go (and not just inside
the door of the room where they go, or in a pile, but actually *away*
where they go). Then you need to dust and vacuum. I do them
simultaneously because dusting knocks the dirt onto the floor, then I
vacuum it up. I'm reasonably certain that you can figure this out -
find a cloth or a feather duster and knock the dust off of things (flat
surfaces, knick knacks, etc.). Then go around with the vacuum and
slowly and methodically run it over every inch of carpet in the house.
Be sure that you don't use the "bare floor" setting on "deep pile" and
vice versa. Also, be sure that your bag doesn't get too full.

If you STILL need things to do, you can do laundry. I wash all of my
whites in hot (because it's all underwear and sheets in this house, and
a few odd tee shirts here and there), and all of my colors in cold.
Other people use other settings, some people use all cold, for example.
Your wife might have a preference. Either way, you sort the clothes
into whites and colors. If I have a lot, I'll make a separate load of
things-that-take-a-long-time-to-dry (towels and jeans, mostly) and I'll
do that on its own. Put the clothes in the washer. Make sure they're
not stuffed in there, so they can move around and agitate, or they
won't get clean. Add soap. Power on the machine. When it quits, put
the stuff in the dryer with a dryer sheet (I have not figured out the
mysteries of liquid fabric softener, so I don't use it). Turn it on
for, oh, about an hour. After an hour, check the clothes. If they're
dry, take them out and fold them or hang them up, and put them away.
If they're not, give them another 15 minutes or so until they are.
Then take them out and fold them and put them away.

Feeling ambitious? Do the windows. Use Windex, or some other glass
cleaner (they're usually blue, for no apparent reason) and paper towel
(or newspaper works just fine). Spray, wipe, repeat until windows are
sparkly. Go around with Lysol and spray all the doorknobs and wipe
down all the phones and remote controls (spray the Lysol onto the
cloth, not the doorknob, phone, or remote, so it doesn't ruin the
finish of the door or the electronics). This will cut down on how
often you and your family get sick, if done regularly. Still want to
help? Organize cabinets and drawers, take everything out of the
fridge, wipe down the shelves, and put back everything that isn't
expired/rotten. Oh my, are you still wanting things to do? Wash the
dog. Dust the baseboards. Flip the mattresses. Alphabetize the
books. Weed out the old magazines and take the ones you'll never read
again to the local library for a donation. Clean out the closets and
take all the clothes that you don't wear to Goodwill (or similar).
Clean out the basement and garage. Paint the baby's room.

Ok, for God's sake, if you've finished all of this, go rub your poor
wife's feet or something. Or make her rub yours! You've earned it!!

As far as cooking, I highly recommend www.savingdinner.com - very
healthy, easy, quick meals (dinners) that have a shopping list included
which saves a ton of time at the grocery store. All you have to do is
add stuff for your breakfasts and lunches (and if there are two of you,
make the "for 6" menu a couple nights a week, and have the leftovers
for lunch. There's a fee, but it's worth every penny, IMHO. Try the
sample menu first. Also, if you want to get a Ph.D. in cleaning, check
out www.flylady.com. She has some great tricks.

Post again, or e-mail me, if you have a specific question (how do I
clean miniblinds, for example) that I didn't cover. (Answer: pick up
the cat, rub the cat across the miniblinds in a horizontal fashion.
Repeat).

Two more tips - start high, finish low (or work from top to bottom) and
try working your way around rooms, either clockwise or counterclockwise
- it'll keep you from wandering off and getting distracted.

Good luck!!
Amy

Old February 4th 05, 09:37 AM
Jenrose

"NotMyRealName" wrote in message

"Jenrose" wrote in message
news:1107475785.a26f8c9b378f5a5fa4a2b18483b2f1c7@t eranews...

"Tori M." wrote in message
well now I have no excuse for not cleaning... lol.. darn it I should
have skipped this thread

No, no, no... your HUSBAND has no excuse for not cleaning after this
thread...lol!

And just because I know how doesn't mean I actually *DO* it at my own
house. It's easier cleaning someone else's actually, though at 35 1/2
weeks people are impressed if I make my own bowl of cereal let alone
cook, do laundry and clean a bathroom.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. People seem really impressed that I'm able
to shock go grocery shopping with just a couple of days until my due
date. Yeah, because life really just stops towards the end of my
pregnancy, and my family stops needing food and clean clothing.

Grocery shopping is the only thing I still do, because I can do it sitting
down (using a scooter cart...love those things!) I hobble into the store,
get a scooter, do my shopping, get a nice young man to carry my stuff out to
the car for me, and dh or dd to empty when we get back. But it's
something....

Jenrose

Old February 4th 05, 12:36 PM
Sue

"NotMyRealName" wrote in message
Yeah, I've noticed that too. People seem really impressed that I'm able

shock go grocery shopping with just a couple of days until my due date.
Yeah, because life really just stops towards the end of my pregnancy, and

my
family stops needing food and clean clothing.

I remember going to the mall on my due date with my second pregnancy. The
little old ladies were in shock, lol. It's better to stay active anyway
unless there is some reason that one should take it too easy.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 4th 05, 12:39 PM
Sue

"JennP" wrote in message
No, I'm being serious. I've been pregnant full term twice. I know what

it's
like, but I've never been "out of comission".

Well that was my thought too. I was wondering why the OP's wife was not able
to do things around the house, but perhaps she is on bedrest. I've had three
pregnancies and I was never not able to do stuff. Maybe more slowly, lol,
but it got it done.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 4th 05, 12:41 PM
Tori M.

Hehe I did 10 loads of laundry the day after my due date.. The lady at the
laundry mat looked verry nervous that I would give birth quicker then it
would take me to get to the hospital 2 blocks away... Lucky for her Xavier
held out for 9 more days

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier 10/27/04

Old February 4th 05, 02:06 PM
Jenrose

"Sue" wrote in message
"NotMyRealName" wrote in message
Yeah, I've noticed that too. People seem really impressed that I'm able

shock go grocery shopping with just a couple of days until my due date.
Yeah, because life really just stops towards the end of my pregnancy, and

my
family stops needing food and clean clothing.

I remember going to the mall on my due date with my second pregnancy. The
little old ladies were in shock, lol. It's better to stay active anyway
unless there is some reason that one should take it too easy.

God, I'd *love* to be able to be more active. But right now, when I walk
from the kitchen to the bedroom, the string of muttered curses would curl
your hair... When I envisioned this pregnancy, I envisioned walking every
day, etc. etc. Then walking made me throw up. Then my pubic bone went wonky.
Then I got whooping cough and activity caused paroxysms. Now, we're back to
the pubic bone and just for good measure, intermittant random sciatica.
Frustrating as heck, because just 3 short months prior to the pregnancy, I
hit my "best shape in 10 years". Then my grandfather died. And then I had a
miscarriage. And got pg again immediately. And haven't had my feet firmly
planted under me since, feels like. Augh.

The idea of going to a mall... or a laundromat for that matter.... The
grocery store. That I can do.

Jenrose

Old February 4th 05, 02:08 PM
Jenrose

"Sue" wrote in message
"JennP" wrote in message
No, I'm being serious. I've been pregnant full term twice. I know what

it's
like, but I've never been "out of comission".

Well that was my thought too. I was wondering why the OP's wife was not
able
to do things around the house, but perhaps she is on bedrest. I've had
three
pregnancies and I was never not able to do stuff. Maybe more slowly, lol,
but it got it done.

My mom handled term pg just fine. Both my "full" pgs have been just insane
for one reason or another. The pg up to the miscarriage was easy...but with
dd and with this one, both were just long, long slogs that sapped me. At
least I know that it's temporary--I bounced back awfully fast from dd's
birth, physically, and I have no reason to think I won't with this one.

Jenrose

Old February 4th 05, 02:33 PM
Sue

"Jenrose" wrote:
My dad taught *me* to cook. Why do you assume it's his mother's fault?

Yep, dad is the one who cooks in our family. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 4th 05, 02:36 PM
Sue

My mom handled term pg just fine. Both my "full" pgs have been just insane
for one reason or another. The pg up to the miscarriage was easy...but

with
dd and with this one, both were just long, long slogs that sapped me. At
least I know that it's temporary--I bounced back awfully fast from dd's
birth, physically, and I have no reason to think I won't with this one.

Jenrose

Oh of course Jenrose. I wasn't saying that everyone can handle pregnancy
just fine. I was just curious as to what was going on with his wife that she
was out of commission. I think your doing a remarkable job and I truly hope
your labor and delivery goes much better than the pregnancy thing has. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 4th 05, 02:54 PM
lenny fackler

Larry McMahan wrote:
In misc.kids.pregnancy Rich wrote:
: My wife is seven months pregnant and is basically out of

commission. I need
: advice. I will have to do the cooking and cleaning and don't really

know
: how to do either. I want to show my wife that I can do this for her

without
: hiring help.

: Rich

Blame your mama. She should have taught you how to do this when you
were little! :-)

I'm with you on that one.
One idea for the op might be to call his mom for advice if that's
possible.