nursing shirts?

Old October 25th 05, 04:31 PM
oregonchick

Default nursing shirts?

Is it "essential" or very helpful to purchase tops that are specific to
breastfeeding? I don't have any, and I was just thinking about how handy
would it be to just lift up the shirt? Do you invest in "nursing" clothes
or just adapt?

Betsy

Old October 25th 05, 04:34 PM
Anne Rogers

Is it "essential" or very helpful to purchase tops that are specific to
breastfeeding? I don't have any, and I was just thinking about how handy
would it be to just lift up the shirt? Do you invest in "nursing" clothes
or just adapt?

not essential in my opinion, but really depends on your climate and personal
limitations, I did notice I got a cold tummy a little in winter last time,
so this time I've bought a couple of tops of ebay to avoid this.

Anne

Old October 25th 05, 04:47 PM
Nikki

oregonchick wrote:
Is it "essential" or very helpful to purchase tops that are specific
to breastfeeding? I don't have any, and I was just thinking about
how handy would it be to just lift up the shirt? Do you invest in
"nursing" clothes or just adapt?

Since I've never owned any I certainly wouldn't call them 'essential' :-)
They might be nice, I really don't know as I've just adapted.

--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

Old October 25th 05, 04:51 PM
Child

"oregonchick" wrote in message
Is it "essential" or very helpful to purchase tops that are specific to
breastfeeding? I don't have any, and I was just thinking about how handy
would it be to just lift up the shirt? Do you invest in "nursing" clothes
or just adapt?

I have a couple I purchased on ebay. I noticed my favorite was a hoodie
with a built in partial shirt underneath. Then someone here (I forget who)
suggested hoodies with a tshirt underneath. This actually works BETTER than
my nursing hoodie, because the nursing hoodie exposes the top of the breast
much more than the tshirt. So I bought a few cardigans and hoodies and
matching tees. Works great.

Old October 25th 05, 04:55 PM
Cocoamum

Nikki skrev:
oregonchick wrote:

Is it "essential" or very helpful to purchase tops that are specific
to breastfeeding? I don't have any, and I was just thinking about
how handy would it be to just lift up the shirt? Do you invest in
"nursing" clothes or just adapt?

Since I've never owned any I certainly wouldn't call them 'essential' :-)
They might be nice, I really don't know as I've just adapted.

I used t-shirts and lifted. You never see nursing clothes in Denmark.
I've only heard about it in this gruop. I think it's a Northern America
phenomenon :-)

Tine, Denmark
Old October 25th 05, 04:57 PM
CY

I find them useful for NIP, but some of them are complicated to open with
one hand while you're holding the baby so I end up lifting anyway! I tend
to wear when I'm going to be around a lot of people I don't know, but around
the house, a t-shirt works fine

Old October 25th 05, 05:01 PM
emilymr

To be honest, I don't really like either of my nursing tops. One is a
tank with the side flaps; although you can nurse pretty discreetly in
it, I think it's really unflattering. The other two are those
spaghetti strap tanks with clips in the straps (it's the knockoff
version of the glamourmom top: http://www.glamourmom.com/). I like how
these ones look, and they're great for nursing at home, but they're
*impossible* to nurse in discreetly since the whole top of your boob is
revealed; IME, baby's head doesn't cover you up. I still NIP in these,
including a verrrrrry long stint in the plane, but I don't really like
to.

My favorite shirts to nurse in -- are my maternity tops!! I got
some cute ones, so I don't mind still wearing them.

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old October 25th 05, 05:19 PM
Sue

"oregonchick" wrote in message
Is it "essential" or very helpful to purchase tops that are specific to
breastfeeding? I don't have any, and I was just thinking about how handy
would it be to just lift up the shirt? Do you invest in "nursing" clothes
or just adapt?

I've never owned any. I just adapted and wore T-shirts and sweatshirts and
removed and/or pulled up as needed.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 25th 05, 05:21 PM

oregonchick wrote:
Is it "essential" or very helpful to purchase tops that are specific to
breastfeeding? I don't have any, and I was just thinking about how handy
would it be to just lift up the shirt? Do you invest in "nursing" clothes
or just adapt?

Neither essential nor helpful. Lifting works just fine.

Elle

Old October 25th 05, 05:27 PM
JennP

"oregonchick" wrote in message
Is it "essential" or very helpful to purchase tops that are specific to
breastfeeding? I don't have any, and I was just thinking about how handy
would it be to just lift up the shirt? Do you invest in "nursing" clothes
or just adapt?

I used a few in the beginning with ds but found them very cumbersome and no
matter how you try to hide it, it looks like a nursing shirt. With dd I
never bothered. I always wore my regular clothes as long as I could lift it
up comfortably.

JennP.