Cloth diapers, at it again!!!

Old May 1st 06, 12:06 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Cloth diapers, at it again!!!

My little boy is 6.5 months 17.5lbs and 27" long. Making him 50th
percentile for weight and 75th for height.
Again another leaky poop!!! I re-watched the video from Tiny Tots a
bunch of times. I just can't seem to get it tight enough around the
legs (inside or out). I thought I folded it exactly? I can still stick
my fingers all the way in no matter how tight I pull the snappied waist
and how much I fold the top over. I have about had it! Its becoming a
miserable experience for both of us just putting it on him and what
used to be a fun time on the changing table or floor has become a
crying fit! I thought I'd feel so good about this choice but it's not
worth the baby's tears and my absolute frustration. I just can't
imagine what I'm doing wrong??? Why does it seem like everyone else has
had no real problems? I don't think the Bummies is the problem since it
does not leak out of the Bummies just the cloth.
I thank you for all your efforts and advice but maybe this is just not
for us.

Old May 1st 06, 12:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

peggy-o wrote:
[...]

We double-diaper at night, meaning we put a folded second diaper inside
the center the regular-fold diaper. For this we need to use a cover one
size larger to fit over this double-diaper, which is very thick between
the legs. If I accidentally use one of the bigger covers over a regular
single diaper and he poops, the poop goes out the legs of the diaper and
all over the inside of the cover (which if I remember correctly is
exactly your problem?) because it is too big, too loose, and therefore
doesn't snug the diaper right up between his legs. Does your service
offer different sized diapers? Is there one smaller than the one you're
using now? Maybe a smaller diaper and/or a smaller cover are the
solution you need.

BTW does "will you marry me, pretty peggy-o" mean anything to you? Ds2
is our "sweet william-o"

-Karen-
Old May 1st 06, 03:41 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

peggy-o wrote:
Why does it seem like everyone else has
had no real problems? I don't think the Bummies is the problem since it
does not leak out of the Bummies just the cloth.
I thank you for all your efforts and advice but maybe this is just not
for us.

Well I haven't said anything but I also had a lot of problems with
cloth so just stopped using them when my daughter outgrew the small
size wraps. I didn't have a problem with leaking per se--like you I
found the Bummis contained everything--but the poop ALWAYS got on the
cover and it annoyed the hell out of me. I kept hearing about how you
just need a few covers blah blah blah but no matter what I did
invariably poop got on them. Also I just couldn't get the darn things
white enough -- I presoaked, I boraxed, I sun-dried and even bleached
on occasion. I don't know if the poop was nuclear or what but there
were always bright yellow stains. I could have lived with the stains,
as much as I disliked seeing them on my baby, but I couldn't justify
the expense of buying enough covers to get me through the day or the
amount of water I went through trying to launder them.

I was really keen on using cloth and was surprised that I seemed to be
the only one who had poop containment and laundry issues. I didn't mind
washing diapers but it got to be ridiculous with trying a dozen ways to
get them clean. Anyway I switched to disposables and never looked back
I don't feel too bad about the environmental effect because we have
a city-wide composting program and they don't go into a landfill (they
make a high-quality compost for city parks as well as farmland with our
organic kitchen waste). If I had gone with a service I might still be
using cloth to this day...

Good luck! I just didn't want you to think you are the only one having
problems with it.

Elle

Old May 1st 06, 03:54 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Yes, Peggy-O is my code name from my favorite Dead song! Im am and will
always be a huge Jerry fan!!! Nice to see someone picked up on that.
I was using the smaller prefold but it seemed too small to fit around
his waist. I guess they sold me the medium because he would out grow
the small soon and I would have to buy more sooner.

Old May 1st 06, 04:06 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Thank you!!!!!! Seems like our babies have the same nuclear poop. I
know they told me the same thing about only needing a few covers. I
would need like 20 and they are not cheap!
I will have to find out what my city does with the disposables. I live
in the greater NY area and don't know about how they are disposed. I
just assumed that they went into a land fill. Thanks again for your
honesty, I feel sooooooooooooo much better.

Old May 1st 06, 02:05 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I've been using the Motherease One Size and the Motherease cover. I've
had long term cloth diapering friends say that a Motherease cover will
work on any cloth diaper and they work amazing. I'm sure you could use
it over prefolds.

I like the ease of the One Size though, the snaps are a breeze and so
easy that even my dh doesn't mind them. I also have pocket diapers
where you insert the amount of absorbancy you need, so I put more in
over night and less in the day. These are great because they have
fleece lining and my dd's butt gets to stay dry no matter how much she
pees.

I'd say invest in a really good cover then if there are gaps in the
diaper it won't matter.

Old May 1st 06, 02:32 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Pin them! Honestly, it is not a big deal. I have always used pins and
plastic pants, for five kids, and have no problems with leaks.

Leslie

Old May 2nd 06, 03:16 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

New to this group and just couldn't resist replying to this...

There is actually no environmental advantage to using cloth nappies over
disposables. Studies in both the UK and Australia have shown this.
http://www.kca.com.au/environment/disposableorcloth.htm

The UK life cycle study, released May 2005, showed that:

1. using cloth nappies uses more water, energy and detergents
2. disposable nappies contribute more solid waste to landfill.

These results confirm the findings of five other LCA studies conducted since
1991.

Essentially, there is no environmental impact difference. Just personal
choice. Do you want to poison the environment or contribute to landfill?

"peggy-o" wrote :
So I have been trying really hard to make this work but I am still
having a hard time getting them tight enough. I can see why pampers
evolved. I guess there is a price to pay for being environmentally
conscience. I've been working with prefolds but if I can't make this
work I'm going to switch to the fitted ones. Any other tips on getting
a tight and SECURE prefold. I'd rather not have to resort to washing
fitteds at home.

Old May 2nd 06, 03:56 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

What about the US????

Questions on cloth diapers Donna Metler Pregnancy 13 August 4th 04 09:30 PM
WTB: Paying Top Dollar for Kushies Diapers / Kooshies Cuddlers or other cloth diapers Crystal Hall General 2 August 1st 04 12:02 AM
How are disposable diapers supposed to fit (confused cloth diapering Mom)? [email protected] General 7 May 4th 04 05:48 AM
cloth diapers Small Haul Pregnancy 8 March 8th 04 10:47 PM
washing cloth diapers Jen Pregnancy 5 July 24th 03 05:56 PM