Holy smokes, anyone experienced this?

Old July 25th 03, 08:47 PM
Stephanie

Default Holy smokes, anyone experienced this?

I was just reading an article on BabyCenter.com. (I am goofing off at
work. Don't tell.) I just saw this sentence.

.... "pre-term labor with minimal or no uterine contractions" ...

as a risk factor in determining incompentent cervix. See whole article
at:

http://www.babycenter.com/expert/pre...ions/4350.html

I already know that I am at risk for incompetent cervix. I am being
checked and checked. But that sentence popped out at me. People have
actually given birth without contractions? It sounds like bliss...
UNLESS it is preterm.

Has this happened to any of you all? What was it like? One minute you
are sitting in the chair, the next minute you feel the baby crown? I
just cannot imagine it.

Thanks!

Stephanie
Old July 26th 03, 12:15 AM
Vicki S

Stephanie wrote:
... People have actually given birth without contractions?
It sounds like bliss... UNLESS it is preterm.

nak - sorry for errors.
I can assure you that it didn't happen that way for me (more's the
pity). but I do recall vaguely some years back reading an article
written by the mother of a rock'n'roll singer (Julianna Hatfield).
iirc the mom said she had given birth pretty much like this - realized
she was in labor (don't know how), said DH, let's go to the hospital -
went to her bedroom alone to get her hospital bag - gave birth on her
bed. i think she said the whole episode took ten minutes. i think i
read about it in the boston globe.

---
--- Vicki in Indiana

Married my dear husband Joshua on May 21, 1995.
Ima shel DS, born 11/16/99 and breastfed for 22 months;
and Ima shel DD, still nursing. Born at home, 05/19/02.
http://www.geocities.com/vyxter/
An ounce of mother is worth a pound of clergy. -Spanish proverb
Names I like: Adele, Amelia, Chloe, Corinne, Lionel, Orlando, Theodore,
Timothy.
Old July 26th 03, 10:04 AM
silvasurfa

"Stephanie" wrote in message
om...
I was just reading an article on BabyCenter.com. (I am goofing off at
work. Don't tell.) I just saw this sentence.

... "pre-term labor with minimal or no uterine contractions" ...

as a risk factor in determining incompentent cervix. See whole article
at:

http://www.babycenter.com/expert/pre...ions/4350.html

I already know that I am at risk for incompetent cervix. I am being
checked and checked. But that sentence popped out at me. People have
actually given birth without contractions? It sounds like bliss...
UNLESS it is preterm.

Has this happened to any of you all? What was it like? One minute you
are sitting in the chair, the next minute you feel the baby crown? I
just cannot imagine it.

Thanks!

Stephanie

I didn't have preterm labour, in fact I had about 6 weeks of pre labour
painful clusters of intense BH contrax... but when I did go into labour, the
first sign was a twinge in the cervix similar to when you have to push the
baby out... then I went to hospital, had a couple of hours of somewhat more
intense contrax, then went from 3cm to 9cm dilated with 2 uncontrollable
pushing contrax as the epidural was being inserted. The epidural stopped
labour cold, and it was a while before I was back in the groove.

HOWEVER...

I believe that if I had ignored those cervical twinges, gotten myself
distracted with something interesting, and just kept pottering about the
house, I could have ended up birthing a baby with very little warning, just
straight into pushing, and no chance to get to hospital.

Old July 27th 03, 03:27 AM
Vijay

"silvasurfa" wrote in message ...
"Stephanie" wrote in message
om...
I was just reading an article on BabyCenter.com. (I am goofing off at
work. Don't tell.) I just saw this sentence.

... "pre-term labor with minimal or no uterine contractions" ...

as a risk factor in determining incompentent cervix. See whole article
at:

http://www.babycenter.com/expert/pre...ions/4350.html

snip

Yes, this happened to my MIL with her oldest: Kellie ended up being
the smallest preemie baby born up to that time in Texas that survived.
I forget how small she was, but I believe she was around two pounds.
She has been plagued with severe vision problems (she was born the
late 60's, they still hadn't perfected the oxygen levels in the
incubators) but is otherwise healthy.

I sort of wish they wouldn't call it incompetent. It makes it sound
like the woman is somehow at fault. I mean I know it's just a medical
term for something that doesn't close properly, but still.

-V.