The Final Word: Maybe it's time to let boys be boys - outside

Old June 20th 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.arts.books.childrens,misc.kids,soc.men,alt.parenting.solutions
Fred Goodwin, CMA

Default The Final Word: Maybe it's time to let boys be boys - outside

The Final Word: Maybe it's time to let boys be boys - outside

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columni...7-05-01-final-
word_N.htm
http://tinyurl.com/ythtr3

By Craig Wilson, USA TODAY
May 1, 2007

An Englishman is in the States this week with a plan to rescue the All-
American boy from a life of video-game mindlessness.

Whether he'll succeed is anyone's guess, but you have to admire him
for trying. Mad dogs and Englishmen, as they say.

Conn Iggulden is co-author with his brother Hal of The Dangerous Book
for Boys. A surprise best seller in England for almost a year now, the
book is now on sale here.

Iggulden is making the rounds, reciting his boys-should-be-boys mantra
everywhere from the Today show to The Colbert Report to the L.L. Bean
flagship store in Freeport, Maine.

It's a sad state of affairs that such a book had to be written in the
first place, but bless the Iggulden brothers for doing so. And for
giving it such a perfect title. Nothing titillates a boy more than the
hint of danger, real or imagined.

The only thing missing is a chapter on what this thing called sex is
all about, but, hey, you can't have everything. Sometimes knowing how
to set a good tripwire can be just as useful.

The book's premise is simple. Want to know how to make a slingshot? A
water bomb? Want to decipher codes or write with invisible ink? It's
all there for young male minds to devour and digest. The authors dub
these activities "the mysteries and adventures of childhood."

The book is a collection of things the siblings say they wanted to
know more about when they were boys. The result is a hands-on guide
that warns boys that they may even get knocked about in the process. I
know - it's shocking in this world of pampered and overly protected
children.

My brother and I didn't have such a book growing up. Maybe we didn't
need it. Life seemed more make-do and hands-off back then. Our mother
would usher us out the door in the morning, and we didn't return until
dinner. What we did in between was a mystery to both her and us. We
even got into trouble on occasion.

I'd like to think there are boys in America who lead such a life
still. Their days filled with endless possibilities. Boys whose minds
and bodies both wander.

Today, however, most every American boy is overscheduled, and when not
at soccer or baseball practice, is sitting on the sofa playing video
games on a TV, even as the sun shines outside. Products of the we-need-
our-kids-to-be-occupied-at-all-times generation.

Most of us of a certain age, of course, were not allowed to be inside
when the sun was shining. Did we turn out better because of it? Who
knows?

But I do remember a treehouse that allowed me to sit in the sky, a
makeshift covered wagon that carried me to the edge of the lawn, a
rowboat that floated me out to an island in the middle of the creek,
an island we conquered over and over and over again. We fought foes
both real and imagined, and without any casualties on our side, I
might add.

We had to entertain ourselves rather than be entertained. We had to
fill time rather than have it filled for us. We even battled boredom
more than once. And won.

Imagine that.

Old June 21st 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.arts.books.childrens,misc.kids,soc.men,alt.parenting.solutions
Hyerdahl

On Jun 20, 2:06 pm, "Fred Goodwin, CMA" wrote:
The Final Word: Maybe it's time to let boys be boys - outside

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columni...7-05-01-final-
word_N.htmhttp://tinyurl.com/ythtr3

By Craig Wilson, USA TODAY
May 1, 2007

(edit)

Nothing titillates a boy more than the hint of danger, real or
imagined.

[and that's what society needs, more boys getting titillated ...doing
more dangerous things than they already do. :-) More male illegal
drug taking and trafficing, more male crime, more male violence, more
male risky vocations and avocations, more male acoholics, etc.]

(edit)

The book's premise is simple. Want to know how to make a slingshot? A water bomb? Want to decipher codes or write with invisible ink? It's all there for young male minds to devour and digest.

[Or young female minds; that a book is titled for boys doesn't mean
girls can't read it. In fact, last time I checked girls read quite a
bit more than boys. Trying to keep girls out of the clubhouse won't
work here. :-)]

(edit)

I'd like to think there are boys in America who lead such a life still. Their days filled with endless possibilities. Boys whose minds
and bodies both wander.

[Poor baby boys don't realize that girls go skinny dipping too, and
just as often. :-) Girls get on their bikes ...of a summer...and
bike to old Aunt Helen's farm, or to a neighbor's house...at least
that's what they tell their daddies. :-)]

(edit)

But I do remember a treehouse that allowed me to sit in the sky, a makeshift covered wagon that carried me to the edge of the lawn, a rowboat that floated me out to an island in the middle of the creek, an island we conquered over and over and over again. We fought foes

both real and imagined, and without any casualties on our side, I
might add.

[So children need to let their imaginations run wild, and not just
boys. Good to know. :-)

Old June 21st 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.arts.books.childrens,misc.kids,soc.men,alt.parenting.solutions
Avenger[_2_]

"Hyerdahl" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 20, 2:06 pm, "Fred Goodwin, CMA" wrote:
The Final Word: Maybe it's time to let boys be boys - outside

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columni...7-05-01-final-
word_N.htmhttp://tinyurl.com/ythtr3

By Craig Wilson, USA TODAY
May 1, 2007

(edit)

Nothing titillates a boy more than the hint of danger, real or
imagined.

[and that's what society needs, more boys getting titillated ...doing
more dangerous things than they already do. :-)

Boys are very sissified today and must get back to their roots because they
will eventually take on the role of society's leaders. We don't need little
pussy whipped pansies.

More male illegal
drug taking and trafficing, more male crime, more male violence, more
male risky vocations and avocations, more male acoholics, etc.]

Better then more male nancy boys

(edit)

The book's premise is simple. Want to know how to make a slingshot? A
water bomb? Want to decipher codes or write with invisible ink? It's all
there for young male minds to devour and digest.

[Or young female minds; that a book is titled for boys doesn't mean
girls can't read it. In fact, last time I checked girls read quite a
bit more than boys.

If you consider 'Teen and Baby Cosmo magazines reading lol Poofy has these
delusions. Boys were and still are the better readers.

Trying to keep girls out of the clubhouse won't
work here. :-)]

Let them try to climb the tree to get in What are they going to do when
they get a dirt bomb all over their nice pink dresses? Run home to mommy or
call NOW haha

(edit)

I'd like to think there are boys in America who lead such a life still.
Their days filled with endless possibilities. Boys whose minds
and bodies both wander.

[Poor baby boys don't realize that girls go skinny dipping too,

Only in your warped paedophile dreams Poofy.

and
just as often. :-) Girls get on their bikes ...of a summer...and

Bicycle riding is an acceptable activity for girls provided they don't
overtax their delicate female nervous systems.AND provided they ride the
girls version of a bicycle. We don't want any accidents and broken hymens.
After all, how would they ever explain this to their potential husbands.

bike to old Aunt Helen's farm, or to a neighbor's house...at least
that's what they tell their daddies. :-)]

In reality they rode to the mall to spend daddy's hard earned money on the
latest bare midriff tank top. Girls have got to start early if they are to
attract a husband,especially with all those Eastern European beauties taking
all the good men. It's not like your grandpappy's day where men would have
to settle for the inferior domestic product. Today we have superior imported
products )

(edit)

But I do remember a treehouse that allowed me to sit in the sky, a
makeshift covered wagon that carried me to the edge of the lawn, a
rowboat that floated me out to an island in the middle of the creek, an
island we conquered over and over and over again. We fought foes

both real and imagined, and without any casualties on our side, I
might add.

[So children need to let their imaginations run wild, and not just
boys. Good to know. :-)

But boys are the only ones with any real imagination. Sure, girls will dream
of getting married like Cinderella or dream some Prince awakens and marries
them but that's hardly in the same category.

Old June 21st 07, 11:20 AM posted to rec.arts.books.childrens,misc.kids,soc.men,alt.parenting.solutions
R. Steve Walz

Avenger wrote:

"Hyerdahl" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 20, 2:06 pm, "Fred Goodwin, CMA" wrote:
The Final Word: Maybe it's time to let boys be boys - outside

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columni...7-05-01-final-
word_N.htmhttp://tinyurl.com/ythtr3

By Craig Wilson, USA TODAY
May 1, 2007

(edit)

Nothing titillates a boy more than the hint of danger, real or
imagined.

[and that's what society needs, more boys getting titillated ...doing
more dangerous things than they already do. :-)

Boys are very sissified today and must get back to their roots because they
will eventually take on the role of society's leaders. We don't need little
pussy whipped pansies.

------------------------
They certainly don't need to emulate an insecure overcompensating
little **** like you.
Steve
Old June 21st 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.arts.books.childrens,misc.kids,soc.men,alt.parenting.solutions
[email protected]

On 21 Jun, 01:31, Hyerdahl wrote

[and that's what society needs, more boys getting titillated ...doing
more dangerous things than they already do. :-) More male illegal
drug taking and trafficing, more male crime, more male violence, more
male risky vocations and avocations, more male acoholics, etc.]

Girls binge-drink lads under the table
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...icle997609.ece

Rise in Alcohol Abuse by College Women
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=79828

With nearly 50 percent rise in drug-related arrests, women are the
silent casualties of war on drugs
http://stories.silenttreatment.info/disparity_01.asp

Women and Prescription Drug Abuse
http://www.drug-rehabs.org/ask.php?aid=325

Number of women smoking worldwide on rise
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13848296/

WHO Urges Action on Reducing Women's Smoking
http://www.jointogether.org/news/res...-reducing.html

Smoking-Related Deaths On The Rise Among American, French Women
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1120080005.htm

Drink and drugs fuel STD 'crisis'
http://www.metro.co.uk/metrosexual/a...3&in_page_id=8

Higher STD rates linked to increase in teenage drinking
http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article2659722.ece

How do men get sexually transmitted diseases?
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mF2M-stds.html
"We also know that exclusively
lesbian women have higher rates
of bacterial vaginosis than
straight women"

Risk Behaviors: Sexually Transmitted Diseases
http://www.answers.com/topic/risk-be...itted-diseases
"The Institute of Medicine coined
the phrase "the hidden epidemic"
to describe the problem of STDs
in the United States. STDs
disproportionately affect women
and young people."

Rising Numbers of Single Women Face Bankruptcy
http://www.consolidatedcredit.org/pr...ankruptcy.aspx

Britain's women sunk in shopping debt
http://www.fairinvestment.co.uk/credit_cards-news-Britain's-women-sunk-in-shopping-debt-18073155.html

Young women fuel bankruptcy rise
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/credit-...&in_page_id=62

Old June 21st 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.arts.books.childrens,misc.kids,soc.men,alt.parenting.solutions
Hyerdahl

On Jun 20, 7:22 pm, "Avenger" wrote:
"Hyerdahl" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jun 20, 2:06 pm, "Fred Goodwin, CMA" wrote:
The Final Word: Maybe it's time to let boys be boys - outside

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columni...7-05-01-final-
word_N.htmhttp://tinyurl.com/ythtr3

By Craig Wilson, USA TODAY
May 1, 2007

(edit)

Nothing titillates a boy more than the hint of danger, real or imagined.

[and that's what society needs, more boys getting titillated ...doing more dangerous things than they already do. :-)

Boys are very sissified today and must get back to their roots because they will eventually take on the role of society's leaders. We don't need little
pussy whipped pansies.

Ah, but little girls are ALSO taking on the roles of society's leaders
and all of our leaders must be strong, dedicated and of good moral
fiber, IMO. IMO, Bill Clinton was such a leader. Others felt that
his addiction to sex with other women was a huge moral breach.
However, as a leader his choice in sex partners was never a risk to
that position. That was all between him, his diety ...if he has one,
and his wife, to whom he may owe some fidelity, depending on their
promises to one another.

More male illegal drug taking and trafficing, more male crime, more
male violence, more male risky vocations and avocations, more male
acoholics, etc.]

Better then more male nancy boys

I don't even know what that means, Vengeful. The men I see every day
IRL are men in every sense of the word. I don't surround myself with
weak or pitiable men...like you. I would not likely have anything to
do with insecure men who have the need to put women down, in order to
make themselves appear stronger.

(edit)

The book's premise is simple. Want to know how to make a slingshot? A water bomb? Want to decipher codes or write with invisible ink? It's all there for young male minds to devour and digest.

[Or young female minds; that a book is titled for boys doesn't mean girls can't read it. In fact, last time I checked girls read quite a bit more than boys.

If you consider 'Teen and Baby Cosmo magazines reading lol Poofy has these delusions. Boys were and still are the better readers.

I'm not really 'Keene' on this, but just to prove a point, there's new
filming taking place for the 'Nancy Drew' books that were geared
toward girls. And also, the reading skills of boys are still
measured as being below those of girls. Of course, on planet Poofy
anything can happen. :-)

(edit the rest of vengeful's gibberish)

Old June 21st 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.arts.books.childrens,misc.kids,soc.men,alt.parenting.solutions
Hyerdahl

On Jun 21, 3:20 am, "R. Steve Walz" wrote:
Avenger wrote:

"Hyerdahl" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Jun 20, 2:06 pm, "Fred Goodwin, CMA" wrote:
The Final Word: Maybe it's time to let boys be boys - outside

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columni...7-05-01-final-
word_N.htmhttp://tinyurl.com/ythtr3

By Craig Wilson, USA TODAY
May 1, 2007

(edit)

Nothing titillates a boy more than the hint of danger, real or
imagined.

[and that's what society needs, more boys getting titillated ...doing more dangerous things than they already do. :-)

Boys are very sissified today and must get back to their roots because they
will eventually take on the role of society's leaders. We don't need little
pussy whipped pansies.

------------------------
They certainly don't need to emulate an insecure overcompensating
little **** like you.

Indeed. Those from Planet Poofy have their own distorted reality with
which to deal. Pity them.

Old June 21st 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.arts.books.childrens,misc.kids,soc.men,alt.parenting.solutions
Avenger[_2_]

[...]

Is that some sort of cartoon book? Think it's in a class with Conan Doyle?
lol

that were geared
toward girls. And also, the reading skills of boys are still
measured as being below those of girls.

Maybe in grandpappy's cellar.You're full of **** and you know it. Men are
much better at communicating whether in writing or verbally.

boys Tigger1 Solutions 6 February 5th 07 05:57 PM
Alex Rider: the proof that boys should be boys Fred Goodwin, CMA General 3 July 25th 06 06:35 AM
Boys will be boys Fred Goodwin, CMA General 1 July 14th 06 07:48 AM
Boys will be boys Fred Goodwin, CMA Solutions 1 July 14th 06 07:48 AM
Little boys...... Bev Single Parents 41 January 12th 06 01:43 PM