General questions about labor/delivery

Old November 6th 03, 11:23 PM
Denise

Default General questions about labor/delivery

"Sophie" wrote in message

Oh, I love watching Birth Day on Discovery Health -- it's a riot (if you
have already accepted that obstetricians screw up normal birth) --

"Becky
Jones is having a cesarean today because her baby is too big ... Welcome
Jayden, 7 pounds 11 ounces!"

-- Dagny
#1 10/17/03

Lol!

I don't know. All the screaming and everything with ABS bothers me. The
home births and water births are neat though.

I don't understand Maternity Ward though. It's certainly not entertaining
and I can't even see how it's educational.

I would like to see Birth Day but I don't get the channel it's on

I get sucked into MW. I don't mean to watch it, but if I'm flipping and I
see it I watch, and then I can't stop until I see how the 14 year old's
premature twins came out or something, ya know? I get so irritated at the
TV though I end up yelling at it which is hysterical to DH.

Old November 6th 03, 11:25 PM
Di

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 02:47:40 GMT, "J"
wrote:

I have a few miscellaneous questions about delivery in a hospital with ob's
(in the u.s....)

Not in the US but still.... (in Aus)

1- Does everyone have an IV or is one only given in certain circumstances?

Pre-term labour you will get one, also if you have an epidural, in
normal labour I don't think you get one (but this may depend on your
hospital)

2- Do they hook you up to a catheter, or only in certain circumstances

Certain circumstances - epidural being the main one I can think of.

3- At what point do they usually put an epidural in if you are going to have
one?

Varies from Hospital to hospital

4- When do you need to go to the hospital, when your contractions are how
far apart?

Depending on when you are in labour - pre-term you go in as soon as
you can. Otherwise I think it depends on the hospital.

5- After delivery, do they continue to give you pain meds? i really have no
idea...it doesn't seem like a good idea if you are going to try breast
feeding- what is the usual procedure? For most, are pain meds after delivery
even necessary even if someone wanted an epidural for pain relief during?

Depends on type of birth etc. I was able to have codine etc if I
wanted it but was fine on panadol. While being stitched up (I tore) I
used the gas to help with that pain.

Di
Old November 6th 03, 11:45 PM
Naomi Pardue

Wow. Speak for yourself! I'm happy for you, lucky you, and all that,
but this is not true for everyone

Ok... I certainly didn't have any particular afterpains, and everything I've
seen written said that first babies don't result in afterpains. Is this really
not the case?

That aside, I can't imagine that most women don't experience *some*
post-partum perineal discomfort,

Oh, absolutely. And I said that this may well be the case, and the OP may be
offered pain meds. But for many moms, (esp. if they neither tear nor get cut)
there may not be enough pain to require heavy pain meds. I was offered, IIRC,
Vicodin or Darvocet or something like that. I accepted them, but more because I
was generally sore and achy after 2 hours of pushing than from any specific
pain. If I hadn't been offered pain meds, I doubt that I would have been in
sufficient pain to have thought it necessary to request them.
(And I got the impression that the offer was a routine thing offered to all
moms, not because they knew that I was in any particular pain or discomfort. I
wasn't complaining or anything.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old November 7th 03, 12:12 AM
HollyLewis

Ok... I certainly didn't have any particular afterpains, and everything I've
seen written said that first babies don't result in afterpains. Is this
really
not the case?

Everything I've seen suggests that afterpains tend to be *worse* with
2nd/subsequent babies, but not that they are nonexistent with 1st babies.

My personal experience isn't helpful, since I had a C-section. I don't
remember any afterpains specifically, but then, I wouldn't.

(And the one good thing about a section is I did *not* have any perineal
discomfort at all. But I took my ibuprofen, mostly to help cope with cracked
nipples. :-) )

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old November 7th 03, 12:21 AM
Circe

"HollyLewis" wrote in message
My personal experience isn't helpful, since I had a C-section. I don't
remember any afterpains specifically, but then, I wouldn't.

Why do you think you wouldn't have afterpains at all after a c-section?
Afterpains are contractions of the uterus that occur as the uterus shrinks
back to its original size. I expect you'd get them regardless of the method
of delivery, although the onset might be later after a c-section (especially
one without any labor) than otherwise
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [20mo] mom)

"Rejuvinate your skin." -- Hydroderm ad

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

fight. -- with apologies to Michael Feldman.

Old November 7th 03, 12:24 AM
Sophie

"HollyLewis" wrote in message
Ok... I certainly didn't have any particular afterpains, and everything

I've
seen written said that first babies don't result in afterpains. Is this
really
not the case?

Everything I've seen suggests that afterpains tend to be *worse* with
2nd/subsequent babies, but not that they are nonexistent with 1st babies.

My personal experience isn't helpful, since I had a C-section. I don't
remember any afterpains specifically, but then, I wouldn't.

(And the one good thing about a section is I did *not* have any perineal
discomfort at all. But I took my ibuprofen, mostly to help cope with

cracked
nipples. :-) )

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs

No perineal discomfort either - woo hoo - lol.

I felt afterpains each time, and they were worse each time.
--
Sophie -
#4 due July 18, 2004

Old November 7th 03, 12:33 AM
HollyLewis

"HollyLewis" wrote in message
My personal experience isn't helpful, since I had a C-section. I don't
remember any afterpains specifically, but then, I wouldn't.

Why do you think you wouldn't have afterpains at all after a c-section?
Afterpains are contractions of the uterus that occur as the uterus shrinks
back to its original size. I expect you'd get them regardless of the method
of delivery, although the onset might be later after a c-section (especially
one without any labor) than otherwise
--
Be well, Barbara

Oh, I didn't mean that I wouldn't have them. Just that I probably wouldn't
have particularly noticed or remembered them as distinct from pain related to
the surgical incision, because I obviously was well anaesthetized anyway.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old November 7th 03, 12:41 AM
Circe

"HollyLewis" wrote in message
Oh, I didn't mean that I wouldn't have them. Just that I probably

wouldn't
have particularly noticed or remembered them as distinct from pain related

the surgical incision, because I obviously was well anaesthetized anyway.

Ah, I see what you mean. Afterpains can go on for several days, or even
weeks, though--long after your anesthesia had worn off. Don't know how
distinct they'd be from the pain of the incision, but I think you'd probably
be able to tell the difference in most cases. There's a twingy, crampiness
to them that I don't think could be mistaken for the more burning tenderness
of an incision (of which I've had a few, though not for a c-section).

Old November 7th 03, 12:42 AM
Sophie

Why do you think you wouldn't have afterpains at all after a c-section?
Afterpains are contractions of the uterus that occur as the uterus shrinks
back to its original size. I expect you'd get them regardless of the

method
of delivery, although the onset might be later after a c-section

(especially
one without any labor) than otherwise
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [20mo] mom)

My mom didn't think I'd have lochia. But then she hasn't had a c-section.
Maybe you have to have a second child to realize *those* were afterpains?

Old November 7th 03, 12:42 AM
Sophie

Oh, I didn't mean that I wouldn't have them. Just that I probably

wouldn't
have particularly noticed or remembered them as distinct from pain related

the surgical incision, because I obviously was well anaesthetized anyway.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs

Nope, different kind of pain IME.