naming patterns

Old November 24th 03, 12:30 AM
Erika

Default naming patterns

Would you say that there is a trendy or cultural naming pattern in
your part of the world?

In Sweden people normally give their children two or three names.
The first one would be any name really, and then the seccond and third
would be inherited names like you'd be named after your grandparent or
in rare cases a special friend of the family or such.
The name that you are called by isn't always the first name either.

I'll use my names as an example.

Ann Erika Irene

Ann is after my godmother, my maternal uncles wife. Erika is the name
I am called by and Irene was my nana's middle name.

A boy would be named after his grandfather(s)

/Erika

The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
Then you gradually change in to them.
Old November 24th 03, 12:39 AM
alissa

Here in Australia I guess it varies depending on culture, I am of english
decent traced back to the first fleet coming here, my husband is Iranian and
has been here for 10yrs. He prefers names that have a meaning as his in
Persian means knowledge, our DD's in Greek I think means wise...so he likes
that theme, middle names are not important. I just like names that short
sound nice and are easy to spell as we have a long last name that requires
spelling each time you say it. Some of my friends have named their children
after family members usually its the middle name.
Alissa
news

Old November 24th 03, 04:22 PM
Mary Gordon

I'm a Canadian of Scots origin, and its very common to give children
middle names which are the surnames of prior generations. Very handy
for genealogy as well (which I do as a hobby), as the middle names
have often given me the cue I've hit the right family.

I have my great grandmother's maiden name as a middle name, and we did
the same with our three kids - first kid has my surname and his
grandmother's maiden name as middle names, second has a 3G
grandmother's maiden name, and third has a 2G grandmother's maiden
name.

MEG
Old November 24th 03, 04:52 PM
Sophie

Would you say that there is a trendy or cultural naming pattern in
your part of the world?

Don't know about other people but for our kids.

Our daughter got a first and a middle name we could both agree on. Neither
name has any significance/meaning to us.

Our first son has my favorite boy's name as his first name - no special
meaning. His middle name is my husband's middle name, which is a maiden
name is his family tree.

Our second son has a first name we both liked and agreed on, no special
meaning. His middle name is my maiden name. My sister has one child, a
son, and his middle name is also our maiden name.

I have a couple of ideas for child #4. If it's a girl I would like her to
have a middle name that is a virtue name, like our other daughter. And if
it's boy, I'd like him to have a meaningful middle name, like our other
sons.

That's all.

Honestly to me, it seems like people don't put much thought into names where
I live. They pick what everyone else is using, at least it looks like way
going by the birth announcements in the newspaper.

Old November 24th 03, 07:27 PM
Ilse Witch

Erika wrote:

Would you say that there is a trendy or cultural naming pattern in
your part of the world?

In Sweden people normally give their children two or three names.
The first one would be any name really, and then the seccond and third
would be inherited names like you'd be named after your grandparent or
in rare cases a special friend of the family or such.
The name that you are called by isn't always the first name either.

Very much the same in the Netherlands. In the catholic parts people
used to give their children more than 2 names, and one of them was
always Maria (be it a boy or a girl). Nowadays the number of names
is in decline, two names are often given (Maria being no longer a
requirement). It is even becoming more common to have children with
just one name.

In the protestant families it's always two names, your 'calling name'
and your 'baptism name' (those are literal translations from Dutch).
Although commonly given in that order, sometimes they are inverted,
like for my brother. The 'baptism name' can in principle be every
which one, sometimes a name that runs in the family, but some people
prefer it to be the name of a grandparent, or even a dear friend.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (16m)

Old November 25th 03, 12:11 AM
Di

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:39:40 +1100, "alissa"
wrote:

Here in Australia I guess it varies depending on culture,

I think this might be part of it - but it also comes down to person
choice. Our DD has 3 names, plus surname, as well the the one I'm
carrying now. Friends of ours, their children only have 1 name (no
culture differences - we all call ourselves Aussies aka at least 2
generations have been born and raised here) plus surname. Other
friends their kids have 2 names plus surname.

As for the names in question - for us DH and I have to a) like the
name and b) like the meaning, the middle names are family names so we
don't have to worry about those.

Di