Anyone else hear of this?

Old July 2nd 04, 09:01 PM
Kat

Default Anyone else hear of this?

My best friend and I were just talking about a book she read...completely
forget what the title was. It was a French author and it was a book about
post-partum health, i.e. how to take care of your body, etc. Anyway, my bf
read in a chart in the book that women shouldn't run anymore after the 3rd
child. We had never heard this before...The author said it was because the
pelvic floor wouldn't be strong enough, or something along those lines.
Kind of bothersome since I am a runner and would like to have a third kid
and continue to run. anyone hear of this or haven't been able to run after
a 3rd kid or has been running after a 3rd?
Kat
mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and Will 02/10/04

Old July 2nd 04, 09:28 PM
Jill

"Kat" wrote
....The author said it was because the
pelvic floor wouldn't be strong enough, or something along those lines.
Kind of bothersome since I am a runner and would like to have a third kid
and continue to run. anyone hear of this or haven't been able to run

after
a 3rd kid or has been running after a 3rd?

I have no knowledge of this but would like to know myself, when it is okay
to run again after having a baby. I mentioned to the midowfe at 4 weeks
postpartum that in the week before that I was getting my energy back and
feeling better and had gone on a couple of jogs on the treadmill. She was
horrified and ordered me to WALK, not jog-- she told me I wasn't healed yet
even if I didn't feel it, my tendons and joints would not be back to normal
yet and I could do some damage before realizing it.

She said I should avoid jogging or high impact thing for a minimum of 2
months but that she recommended much longer after birth.

?? So I am wondering when it will be ok to jog or run again. And now I am
wondering about your question too.

Old July 2nd 04, 09:44 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Kat wrote:

My best friend and I were just talking about a book she read...completely
forget what the title was. It was a French author and it was a book about
post-partum health, i.e. how to take care of your body, etc. Anyway, my bf
read in a chart in the book that women shouldn't run anymore after the 3rd
child. We had never heard this before...The author said it was because the
pelvic floor wouldn't be strong enough, or something along those lines.
Kind of bothersome since I am a runner and would like to have a third kid
and continue to run. anyone hear of this or haven't been able to run after
a 3rd kid or has been running after a 3rd?

Complete hogwash, in my opinion. I've had three,
and my pelvic floor is just fine, thank you very much.
Now, I'm not running as I Just Don't Do That, but I'm
sure I'd be fine running if I wanted to ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old July 2nd 04, 09:54 PM
Marion Boulden

Kat wrote:

My best friend and I were just talking about a book she read...completely
forget what the title was. It was a French author and it was a book about
post-partum health, i.e. how to take care of your body, etc. Anyway, my bf
read in a chart in the book that women shouldn't run anymore after the 3rd
child. We had never heard this before...The author said it was because the
pelvic floor wouldn't be strong enough, or something along those lines.
Kind of bothersome since I am a runner and would like to have a third kid
and continue to run. anyone hear of this or haven't been able to run after
a 3rd kid or has been running after a 3rd?
Kat
mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and Will 02/10/04

If you really had any serious pelvic floor issues, seems you probably would
already find your bladder protruding into your vagina a bit. If you don't find
that to be the case, I wouldn't worry about it. Did the French author say what
he/she expected to happen, i.e. your innard falling out, or what?

What year was this book published? Was it published back when forceps
deliveries were a lot more common? Sounds like hooey to me.

Marion
Katy, due 10/16/2004

Old July 2nd 04, 10:27 PM
Em

"Marion Boulden" wrote in message
Kat wrote:

[...]

It was published in 2003. The Post Pregnancy Handbook. The author did
seem to assume that most women would have episiotomies and that many
would have assisted deliveries, which I guess isn't that out of line in
"mainstream" America. The mention of running was in a little chart about
types of exercise post-partum--it had the type of exercise listed and
when you begin it again (i.e. walking for exercise at 6 weeks). Under
running it said to wait 1 year and then after 3 births it is "not
recommended." This was in a section about the pelvic floor and indicated
that you would risk permanent damage to your pelvic floor if you were
exercising inappropriately or too soon (there was a bit list about
cystoceles, etc.). I thought some of the other things in the book seemed
a little extra cautious as well. The book was initially published in
England by a French/English author and then reworked for an American
audience by a CNM and published here late last year. I saw it advertised
in Midwifery Today, which is why I checked it out of the library.

I had never heard anything like the running thing before and was very
curious about it too!

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 9 months old

Old July 2nd 04, 11:40 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Kat wrote:

My best friend and I were just talking about a book she read...completely
forget what the title was. It was a French author and it was a book about
post-partum health, i.e. how to take care of your body, etc. Anyway, my bf
read in a chart in the book that women shouldn't run anymore after the 3rd
child. We had never heard this before...The author said it was because the
pelvic floor wouldn't be strong enough, or something along those lines.
Kind of bothersome since I am a runner and would like to have a third kid
and continue to run. anyone hear of this or haven't been able to run after
a 3rd kid or has been running after a 3rd?
Kat
mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and Will 02/10/04

See, this is one of the reasons why I now tend to avoid the
baby/pregnancy/women's health sections in bookstores. My reaction to
this book, had I been reading it, would have been *yawn*. I hate it
when they try to scare people.

Old July 3rd 04, 12:13 AM
Kat

"Jill" wrote in message
.com...

"Kat" wrote
[...]

I started running again at 3 months and have actually noticed an improvement
in my pelvic muscles. I think what is key is that you listen to your body
and don't over do it. I started very slowly, 3min run, walk 1 min for a
couple of miles. I was doing 5 miles a day until I got a rash on legs that
would make it too uncomfortable to run.
Kat
mama to maggie 11/03/01
and Will 02/10/04

Old July 3rd 04, 12:16 AM
Kat

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Kat wrote:

[...]

LOL Very encouraging to know you could if you wanted to:-)
Kat
Mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and Will 02/10/04

Old July 3rd 04, 12:17 AM
Kat

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
m...
Kat wrote:

[...]

I also have feelings that alot of the pregnancy, etc info out there is
really realistic and very much the scare tactic stuff. I just wonder where
she got the research for that statement.
Kat
mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and Will 02/10/04

Old July 3rd 04, 02:13 AM
Cheryl S.

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Now, I'm not running as I Just Don't Do That, but I'm
sure I'd be fine running if I wanted to ;-)

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my mother when pg with #1.

Mom: "Are you going to get one of those jogging strollers?"

Me: "I didn't even jog without a baby. Why would I jog with one?"
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 9 months