need nursing dress pattern to be in wedding

Old August 13th 03, 06:37 PM
Dagny

Default need nursing dress pattern to be in wedding

Hi, I am trying to find a pattern to have a formal gown made so I can be in
a wedding in late October. I'm 32w now so the baby will probably come
anytime late September onward; I would be 43 weeks pregnant at the time of
the wedding if I was REALLY late. So I'm a bit anxious about being in the
wedding, but have been assured I can back out if needed and they just want
me with them under whatever circumstances.

So knowing this might not be possible, but it could be possible, I need to
arrange for a dress. The dresses for the attendants don't have to match,
thank goodness, but do have to be a particular color and the other women are
wearing fairly formal outfits in terms of style and material. I found only
1 pattern on the internet and didn't like it. Of course there are lots of
super nursing dresses on the internet I like but they aren't going to be the
right color.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Do they have nursing patterns
at the regular fabric store? I want something that can be made with a long
skirt, in velvet or similar soft fabric, with an overlay style top. I'm
willing to compromise on the overlay style top part too. I just want to
make sure I can wear a good bra so I'm not leaking and that it'll be easy to
nurse without completely leaving the wedding each time it's necessary.
Elastic hidden somewhere or ties to adjust the fit would be a plus!

I would be hiring a seamstress for the sewing. As a nice side benefit, I'll
probably also have them make a matching outfit for the baby so that people
will think she's just too cute for them to worry about the fact that I'm
nursing her in the back.

Thanks! And hopefully I'll be joining you guys regularly in a couple of
months.

-- Dagny

Old August 13th 03, 07:09 PM
iphigenia

Dagny wrote:
Hi, I am trying to find a pattern to have a formal gown made so I
can be in a wedding in late October. I'm 32w now so the baby will
probably come anytime late September onward; I would be 43 weeks
pregnant at the time of the wedding if I was REALLY late. So I'm a
bit anxious about being in the wedding, but have been assured I can
back out if needed and they just want me with them under whatever
circumstances.

The problem is, you'll either be really pregnant or you'll have a newborn.
There's no way of knowing just what your bust size will be at that point, so
bear in mind that whatever you wear will have to accommodate fluctuations.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old August 13th 03, 07:49 PM
Sandra

Did you look at Elizabeth Lee Designs? The site is www.elizabethlee.com.
They not only offer dress patterns, but also patterns for separate tops, in
case you wanted to combine with another garment (of the specified color, of
course).

Enjoy the wedding.

Sandra

news

Old August 13th 03, 07:57 PM
Dagny

"Sandra" wrote in message
Did you look at Elizabeth Lee Designs? The site is www.elizabethlee.com.
They not only offer dress patterns, but also patterns for separate tops,

in
case you wanted to combine with another garment (of the specified color,

of
course).

Enjoy the wedding.

Sandra

I did see that, that's the only one I saw, and I'm saving it for if I get
desperate.

Old August 13th 03, 09:29 PM
Truffles

Dagny wrote:

Hi, I am trying to find a pattern to have a formal gown made so I can be in
a wedding in late October.

These are maternity dresses, but I'm sure the seamstress could adapt
them for nursing.

http://tinyurl.com/jxqh

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old August 13th 03, 09:50 PM
HollyLewis

Hi, I am trying to find a pattern to have a formal gown made so I can be in
a wedding in late October.

[clip]
I want something that can be made with a long
skirt, in velvet or similar soft fabric, with an overlay style top

If that's the style you want, it won't be at all difficult to nurse in. Choose
a regular dress pattern -- or just buy a dress! -- and have the dressmaker cut
nursing slits in the underlayer of the top. (This will be ridiculously easy if
the underdress has princess seams, but even if it doesn't, you can just cut the
slits and then stitch the edges to prevent fraying.)

You could also buy separates and just lift the top to nurse.

Either way, if your baby is only a couple weeks old at the time, you may find
that it's impossible for you to nurse discreetly just yet, so you'll wind up
retreating to the nearest private room and getting half undressed anyway. :-)

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old August 14th 03, 08:13 AM
CY