mine don't wean

Old February 10th 07, 06:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Dagny

Default mine don't wean

Just a brief update. My kids are 3 and 2 and nobody is weaning.

My 3 year old is cut down to once a day but she will not forget that once a
day (she is allowed before nap) unless she falls asleep in the car, and even
then she usually asks for a make-up session. And, she regularly asks at
non-allowed times.

My 2 year old will tantrum if I only allow him one side at a time and
frequently tries to go back to the first side after the second. Otherwise,
he's very independent, bold, happy. Nurses like crazy though.

What a joy. What a PITA.

Still here,
Dagny
Mom to Meg, 10/03
Poppin Fresh with a big boy haircut, 1/05

Old February 11th 07, 05:31 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leslie

I relate. I don't understand why so many other people's kids stop on
their owm around 18 months, or are down to once a day at two, or
whatever. Lorelei wants to nurse any time she sees me sitting down.
She is nowhere near to weaning. William was the same. My earliest to
wean was at 26 months, the latest close to four, IIRC. I'd be happy
to stop now, personally, but Lorelei would not be happy at all. And I
did tandem for 26 months with Jake and Teddy, and that was SO hard.

Leslie

Old February 11th 07, 07:31 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

I relate. I don't understand why so many other people's kids stop on
their owm around 18 months, or are down to once a day at two, or
whatever. Lorelei wants to nurse any time she sees me sitting down.
She is nowhere near to weaning. William was the same. My earliest to
wean was at 26 months, the latest close to four, IIRC. I'd be happy
to stop now, personally, but Lorelei would not be happy at all. And I
did tandem for 26 months with Jake and Teddy, and that was SO hard.

on the other hand, I am green with envy, since Ada stopped breastfeeding she
has had health problems that probably would not have happened had she
continued breastfeeding, yet she weaned of her own accord at 18mths, I can
see some things in our parenting that led that way, but a large chunk of it
has very definitely been her own personality and facts about her that have
been that way since birth, such as never nursing to sleep, sucking her
fingers for comfort, that kind of thing.

Anne

Old February 11th 07, 09:44 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

On Feb 10, 12:39 pm, "Dagny" wrote:
Just a brief update. My kids are 3 and 2 and nobody is weaning.

My 3 year old is cut down to once a day but she will not forget that once a
day (she is allowed before nap) unless she falls asleep in the car, and even
then she usually asks for a make-up session. And, she regularly asks at
non-allowed times.

My 2 year old will tantrum if I only allow him one side at a time and
frequently tries to go back to the first side after the second. Otherwise,
he's very independent, bold, happy. Nurses like crazy though.

What a joy. What a PITA.

Still here,
Dagny
Mom to Meg, 10/03
Poppin Fresh with a big boy haircut, 1/05

In same boat as you. My 2.5 year old is not willing to even consider
weaning. These days I count from 1 to 5 and she has to stop after
that. Yesterday after I finished counting she said "noooo mummy, I
want fitteen chitteen mik".

I can only hope she'll wean before she turns 3.

Old February 12th 07, 12:26 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article ,
"Dagny" wrote:

Just a brief update. My kids are 3 and 2 and nobody is weaning.

Same here, but mine are 21mo and 5y11mo. I am weaselling out of putting DS1
to bed though, as that is his BFing time -- and the last few times the well
has been dry, apparently.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old February 12th 07, 02:54 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leslie

On Feb 11, 2:31�am, "Anne Rogers" wrote:
[...]

I know, I feel bad for complaining, especially after all the
difficulty I had to keep Lorelei nursing in the beginning. I will say
that it's not all bad. :-) After the "big kids" and Daddy leave in
the morning, Lorelei always wants to go back to bed and nurse, which
means I don't have to feel guilty for snatching an extra hour in the
morning!

Leslie

Old February 12th 07, 03:11 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

Mine are also like that. I cut my 5 year old down to morning and
evening. Now we usually manage to skip the evening (he falls asleep
waiting for it). I have twice managed to have him go 36 hours when my
husband was out of town and I was extra busy. When he was younger,
every time I tried to cut down the nursings a bit, he chewed up the
zippers of his jackets and chewed holes in his shirts. Now he rarely
starts to do this, and when he does, I send him to get his xylitol gum
as a substitute (he would rather nurst though). Over the years we've
talked about baby teeth calling them "milk teeth". He has it set in
his mind that when he looses his first tooth he will have outgrown
nursing. I hope this works well for him.

My 27 month old still nurses plenty. She hasn't been feeling well for
a few weeks so it seems like all night. She goes a bit longer in the
daytime, but if I havent sat down for too long, she gets very needy.

When I read this thread, I realized that I had nursed my first tandem
pair together for 27 months, so I have now been nursing this pair
toghether for just as long. I found it very difficult the first
time. This time, with a different combination, it has been much
easier, though it would be really nice to be nursing one.

--Betsy

Old February 12th 07, 03:16 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

continued breastfeeding, yet she weaned of her own accord at 18mths, I can
see some things in our parenting that led that way, but a large chunk of it
has very definitely been her own personality and facts about her that have
been that way since birth, such as never nursing to sleep, sucking her
fingers for comfort, that kind of thing.

It seems like some babies who nurse only for nutrition make a
transition to comfort nursing as they become toddlers. Some never do
and become earlier self weaners.

--Betsy

Old March 3rd 07, 08:32 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

On Feb 10, 10:39 am, "Dagny" wrote:
Just a brief update. My kids are 3 and 2 and nobody is weaning.

My 3 year old is cut down to once a day but she will not forget that once a
day (she is allowed before nap) unless she falls asleep in the car, and even
then she usually asks for a make-up session. And, she regularly asks at
non-allowed times.

My 2 year old will tantrum if I only allow him one side at a time and
frequently tries to go back to the first side after the second. Otherwise,
he's very independent, bold, happy. Nurses like crazy though.

What a joy. What a PITA.

Still here,
Dagny
Mom to Meg, 10/03
Poppin Fresh with a big boy haircut, 1/05

DD1 did eventually wean. She is finally, at 13, old enough that she
has spent less of her life nursing than not nursing.

Shiny is almost 2 and nurses about 3-4 times per day, and I still find
it painful and challenging almost constantly. But worth it--she's
doing so incredibly well compared to other kids with the same
diagnosis at comparable ages. If painful nursing helps us have no
seizures and helps language develop, I will grit my teeth and
continue. If it was like this and she was still nursing 12 times a day
I'd want to jump off a bridge. DD1 was *so* much easier.

(Shiny tends to nurse 'mostly okay' until she gets a little
tired...then she drops the nipple and tries to get back on by biting
her way back on... so she's catching the very tip with her teeth about
once a day. She's too fast for me to stop this without just weaning
her entirely.)
Jenrose