Moving to another state

Old July 15th 03, 04:30 AM
Laurie

Default Moving to another state

Kari wrote in message ...

Just for a laugh and to compare, we have a 3 bedroom, 2 full bath one

story
home, 1400 square feet of living space. 0.62 acres of land. 2 car

garage,
full unfinished basement. We do have a lot of pluses, like central air,
central vac, very large deck, sprinkler system outside, very nice outdoor
shower, 2 person jacuzzi in the master bath, 2 gas fireplaces, and a hot

tub
outside. Still, our house is small; and the realtor recommended listing

it
for $330,000. Can you believe that?

Yikes! Or that may be good for you guys if you can sell it for that!

Right, if we can, we'll have a very low mortgage where we're heading. We'll
be able to put a lot down.
forgot to mention that we have a pool too, and a huge wraparound deck that
is connected to the pool/house off the sliding glass door. And a fireplace
too. I love our yard, we have a great yard that is totally off the road and
is very nicely landscaped - it was that way when we bought it so we were
lucky. Everyone has told us we got a great deal even around here with real
estate being dirt cheap. Of course Im ready to move 5 miles up the road to

house on the bay but we'll see how that goes!!

Wow, your house sounds great!

Thanks Kari! We're actually heading up to the northern New

Hampshire/Eastern
Vermont border area. We did look into your area a bit, but we're more
famiar with the NE, so I think we'll stick around here.

That sounds great. We were looking into relocating to Vermont for awhile
about a year ago. South eastern Vermont, my husband had a job offer out in
Brattleboro I think it was and I thought it looked great! Or course he
didn't take it, he was worried about political problems..with all the
treehuggers (for lack of a better word) out there with him working at a
nuclear power plant...you get the idea He heard horror stories from some
of the other guys about protests in front of the plant and in town and I
didnt think that was too great for our kids if their father worked at a
place that most people in town wanted shut down. And we ARE pretty
treehuggerish ourselves so no offense to anyone by the way

Kari

I remember that, and was wondering if you were going to go. We love Vermont.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 12 weeks

*This email address is now valid*

Old July 15th 03, 04:31 AM
Laurie

H Schinske wrote in message
Laurie wrote:

Just for a laugh and to compare, we have a 3 bedroom, 2 full bath one

story
home, 1400 square feet of living space. 0.62 acres of land. 2 car garage,
full unfinished basement. We do have a lot of pluses, like central air,
central vac, very large deck, sprinkler system outside, very nice outdoor
shower, 2 person jacuzzi in the master bath, 2 gas fireplaces, and a hot

tub
outside. Still, our house is small; and the realtor recommended listing

it
for $330,000. Can you believe that?

Sure. In Seattle, depending on condition, neighborhood, and architectural
style, you might well get $50K or $100K more than that! It would almost

surely
be at least as much as you quote, unless it had some other drawback, like

being
a really ugly style or on a busy street.

--Helen

No kidding, my brother lives in Seattle and the real estate is even worse
there, since you get very little land! And no, though it's ranch it's quite
pretty (more like a contemporary, doesn't look like a ranch) and it's on a
nice quiet street, 0.3 miles to a pond and in a town with the best school
system around.

Old July 15th 03, 04:34 AM
Laurie

Rosalie B. wrote in message ...
x-no-archive:yes Wendy Marsden wrote:

Laurie wrote:

We're mostly likely going to NH, possibly VT. We looked seriously into

VT
last year, but didn't find exactly what we wanted. What do you mean by
"services'?

Have you thought about western RI? We lived there and it was very
nice a rural, but close enough to the city that we got city advantages
too.

I think it's still pretty expensive there, though. (though not as bad as
where we are now)

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 12 weeks

*This email address is now valid*

New Hampshire has no sales tax and no personal income tax. You do the
math. Anyone with a special needs kid moves across the border. Real
estate taxes are truly incredible, too.

I only live 20 miles south of New Hampshire and I can tell you that there
is a different culture to NH, more of an anti-establishment ethos, like
why they don't have a helmet law. It's truly a "live free or
die" mentality, except I usually call it "live free AND die." I suppose
it appeals to people, but not to me.

I've lived in Vermont, both in the Northeast Kingdom and in Burlington,
and worked for a few years in Brattleboro. I wouldn't hesitate to go
back.

Wendy

grandma Rosalie

Old July 15th 03, 05:49 AM
H Schinske

Laurie ) wrote:

And no, though it's ranch it's quite
pretty (more like a contemporary, doesn't look like a ranch) and it's on a
nice quiet street, 0.3 miles to a pond and in a town with the best school
system around.

I didn't mean *your* house might be ugly, I'm sure it's not! I just meant to
compare prices for a house with those specs in general ... :-)

--Helen
Old July 15th 03, 02:25 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes
"Laurie" wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote in message ...

Laurie wrote:

We're mostly likely going to NH, possibly VT. We looked seriously into

VT
last year, but didn't find exactly what we wanted. What do you mean by
"services'?

Have you thought about western RI? We lived there and it was very
nice a rural, but close enough to the city that we got city advantages
too.

I think it's still pretty expensive there, though. (though not as bad as
where we are now)

I think that depends on what you call western RI. We lived in Summit
(post office Greene since Summit was too small to have it's own PO)
just across the border from CT in Coventry township. It was very
rural. We sold our house there (5 bedrooms 2.5 baths, fireplace and
pond) for $28K in 1974 and it took us 6 months or so to sell it.

grandma Rosalie
Old July 15th 03, 03:54 PM
toto

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:38:05 GMT, "E"
wrote:

now we're trying to figure out how to swing things and daycare. seems I
would just be handing daycare my paycheck, so seems a lot of work for
nothing PLUS I lose time with my DD! unfortunately, I don't have the kind
of job I can do from home either, and my commute is at least 45 minutes.
hah - this started out to be a laugh, sorry about the self-pity party
Edith

You know, this is why I think anyone who is thinking about going back
to work needs to really carefully look at the expenses and whether or
not the paycheck is going to actually help them make ends meet.

I know that the first year I went back to work full time, almost the
entire check went to daycare, the clothing I needed to work and
other expenses I would not have had if I had been staying home.

When this situation arises, perhaps you can rethink whether or not
you can hold off working until your children are older (after school
daycare should certainly be less expensive than all day care for
toddlers and preschool children). I don't know the solution, but we
are not likely to get daycare costs to come down given that we
are paying very low wages to the workers in such situations already.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 15th 03, 04:01 PM
llama mama

"Laurie" wrote in
:

Wendy Marsden wrote in message ...
Laurie wrote:

We're mostly likely going to NH, possibly VT. We looked seriously
into VT last year, but didn't find exactly what we wanted. What do
you mean by "services'?

New Hampshire has no sales tax and no personal income tax. You do the
math. Anyone with a special needs kid moves across the border. Real
estate taxes are truly incredible, too.

I noticed that they're higher than in the NE part of VT, but they're
terrible where I am, too. I think the taxes in my town are one of the
highest in the state.

this is very true & getting worse. NH is currently without a budget
also. the govenor has cut special services by over 2 mil this year & it
was underfunded *before* the cuts.
my little guy is in speech therapy, but i'm putting him in Montessori
preschool when he hits 3 because the state program preschool is
depressing (broken toys, puzzles missing pieces... basicly freebie yard
sale cast-offs) and crowded (over 30 kids in a developmental delays
class?) & i feel it would cause regression in his social skills, where
he's just *starting* to lose his fear of other people. he'd be lost
there. he handles one on one with his speech & occupational therapists
great now, and does well in a playgroup with 3-5 other kids (and 2-3
adults). he's still overwhelmed by large groups though.
*we're* considering moving to upstate NY, since land prices are *so*
much lower, as are real estate taxes ( i'm a farmer. anything with more
than 30 acres in NH is pushing 5 figures now)... after factoring my
income taxes/sales taxes in NY vs. my income taxes & property taxes in
NH, i'll come out a bit ahead in NY and, yes, there *are* income taxes in
NH. they tax the heck out of capital gains. i love VT, but so do all the
NYC & NJ people and they've pushed property prices through the roof

I only live 20 miles south of New Hampshire and I can tell you that
there is a different culture to NH, more of an anti-establishment
ethos, like why they don't have a helmet law. It's truly a "live free
or die" mentality, except I usually call it "live free AND die." I
suppose it appeals to people, but not to me.

actually, that is one thing i like about NH. no one even looks twice
when i have purple hair... ok, purple streaks in flaming red hair,
although now it'd be in getting very grey hair
i have a friend who has been a biker for over 25 years. he doesn't wear
a helmet because he *would* rather die than break his neck & be
paralyzed. i don't like his logic, but it's his life...

heh, i have a nice farm for sale in southern NH...
lee
--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate
between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital
Old July 15th 03, 05:00 PM
dragonlady

wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, the other thing you may need to consider is the "long
view" of your career. In many fields, if you take several years away,
you are never able to return -- or if you do, you will be returning many
steps below where you left.

In my case, the economics were very clear: putting two infants and a 3
yo in daycare would cost so much that what little I might clear after
child care expenses would certainly have been eated up (and then some)
by the expense of maintaining a professional wardrobe and by the costs
for commuting. It did, however, cost me that particular career.

In the long run, I don't regret it in the least, and am quite happy in
my current career (though the pay bites, I love the work.) However, the
long range effect on your career should also be considered.

meh

Old July 15th 03, 10:33 PM
==Daye==

wrote:

now we're trying to figure out how to swing things and daycare. seems I
would just be handing daycare my paycheck, so seems a lot of work for
nothing PLUS I lose time with my DD!

Have you actually sat down and calculated how much you were
*actually* making? I mean, after daycare, after traveling
expenses, after take out meals (both lunch and dinner), etc. You
may find that you are making nothing. If you are, you could stay
at home, and you would be working to pay for daycare.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au
Old July 15th 03, 10:35 PM
==Daye==

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:54:22 -0500, toto
wrote:

You know, this is why I think anyone who is thinking about going back
to work needs to really carefully look at the expenses and whether or
not the paycheck is going to actually help them make ends meet.

This is why I am a SAHM. If I went to work, we would not be that
much ahead. I think I worked it out to be about $20 a week or
something. I am NOT going to go through all that hassle for $20
a week in the end. Plus, my DD would be in daycare. I would
rather be at home with her.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au