passy

Old July 14th 03, 07:56 AM
==Daye==

Default passy

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 06:38:10 GMT, "Denise"
wrote:

My daughter is now 2. I was wondering if anyone had any advise on getting
rid of a passifier(passy)(nuk)(whatever you call it) I don't want her to be
stuck on it till she is 3-4. We are having a hard time
thanks!!

This weekend, we finally became a pacifier free house. This was
my method. It might be the best way to do it, but I did it
without making up stories or being deceitful. DD turned 2 in
June.

We basically had a goodbye ceremony. My DH was there. I showed
her the pacifier, and I cut the end of it off. I told her it was
broken, and she needed to say goodbye to her pacifier. She
didn't say goodbye, and she cried quite a bit. I then threw both
ends in the outside trash can. With the last pacifier, my DH got
the excellent idea of asking her if she wanted to throw her
pacifier away like a big girl. She smiled and said yes. She
threw it in the trash.

She has woken up in the middle of the night crying for her
pacifier, but she is okay without it during the day. We cut it
and put it in the outside trash can to keep the parents -- us --
from getting it back for her when she cried. We also remind her
that she is a big girl, and big girls don't need pacifiers.

It is hard, but you can do it. Just throw them away, and deal
with the crying. A friend told me I was mean for doing it that
way, but I told her that being mean is all part of the job of
being a mother.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au
Old July 14th 03, 11:47 AM
Jarkat2002

My daughter is now 2. I was wondering if anyone had any advise on getting
rid of a passifier(passy)(nuk)(whatever you call it) I don't want her to be
stuck on it till she is 3-4. We are having a hard time
thanks!!

My DD wasn't interested in one .. but my neice just didn't want to give hers
up.
My SIL bought pacifiers for preemie babies (I'm sure she had to order them
online) and it was quite a bit of work for my niece to keep it in her mouth ...
finally she just didn't want it anymore.
FWIW, my SIL didn't say a word about it to my niece, she just kept throwing out
the regular ones and going down in size until she got the smallest one she
could find.
Good luck,
~Kat

Planet Claire has pink air
All the trees are red
No one ever dies there
No one has a head
Old July 14th 03, 12:30 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes 52s (Jarkat2002) wrote:

My daughter is now 2. I was wondering if anyone had any advise on getting
rid of a passifier(passy)(nuk)(whatever you call it) I don't want her to be
stuck on it till she is 3-4. We are having a hard time
thanks!!

I never did anything specific, but I didn't/don't really have any
particular hang ups about pacifiers. I just don't worry about how old
a kid is when he/she has a bottle, has a pacifier, bf, or whatever
oral habits people seem to feel a child should stop doing.

I read something a long time ago which said that adults had oral
issues too, but they smoke cigarettes or sublimate them in some more
acceptable way.

My DD wasn't interested in one .. but my neice just didn't want to give hers
up.

I tried to get my first baby to take a pacifier so she wouldn't suck
her thumb. (I did have problems with thumb sucking a little bit - not
sure whether this was my mom's idea or not.) She refused it, and did
suck her thumb for a long time - not sure exactly how long, but well
past age 3.

DS had neither a pacifier or a thumb but he would comfort nurse until
he was 3 or 4 (I no longer remember exactly, but I think I went to the
doc when he was 3.5 because my menstrual periods had not returned)

#2 dd had a "Sigh Sigh" (her name), and I don't think I did anything -
it just eventually wasn't of interest anymore. I have a lot of
pictures of the kids, and she isn't sucking a pacifier in any of them,
in spite of the fact that I did hang it on a string around her neck so
it wouldn't get dirty when it dropped. (I know - but she's 40 years
old this year, so it's too late to change that.)

#3 dd also had her 'fire' on a string around her neck, and it was
snatched off of her by a raccoon in a cage at the Audubon society
children's zoo. He reached out through the bars, and it came apart.
She was between 26 and 28 months old at the time. When she asked for
her 'fire' I told her that the raccoon had it, and she knew that was
true so the 'fire' went away.

My SIL bought pacifiers for preemie babies (I'm sure she had to order them
online) and it was quite a bit of work for my niece to keep it in her mouth ...
finally she just didn't want it anymore.
FWIW, my SIL didn't say a word about it to my niece, she just kept throwing out
the regular ones and going down in size until she got the smallest one she
could find.

grandma Rosalie
Old July 14th 03, 10:02 PM
fi

We had the "dummy"(aussie term) fairy come.
We prepared her before hand, saying that the fairy was going to come soon
and take away her dummy, and leave her a very special present.
The night it happened, I told her she needs to put it under her pillow, so
the fairy will find it.
This was on her 2nd birthday.......
She had no troubles with it.
We got her a doll she could take everywhere, a special doll with a new pram.
She asked for her dummy the next day a couple of times, but, when reminded
that the fairy took it. She was ok...and 2 days after never worried about it
again

All the best
Fiona

"Denise" wrote in message
My daughter is now 2. I was wondering if anyone had any advise on getting
rid of a passifier(passy)(nuk)(whatever you call it) I don't want her to

be
stuck on it till she is 3-4. We are having a hard time
thanks!!

--
"You are nobody till you have been ignored by a cat!!"

Old July 15th 03, 02:11 AM
blacksalt

Denise wrote:

My daughter is now 2. I was wondering if anyone had any advise on getting
rid of a passifier(passy)(nuk)(whatever you call it) I don't want her to be
stuck on it till she is 3-4. We are having a hard time
thanks!!

I friend poked a hole it it, each day another hole until it collapsed
and wasn't fun to suck. Child rejected it.
blacksalt
Old July 15th 03, 02:36 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes "Denise" wrote:

i've tried the smaller ones,but she likes those too. We have tried the
limiting to the night but she screams for it all day. i am planning on

I think you must have given in to her or she wouldn't keep doing this.
Anything that is really important (like being strapped into a car seat
or not running out in the street) you don't give in to her on no
matter how much of a fuss she made (at least I'd bet that is the
case). You just have to be more determined not to give it to her than
she is that she has to have it.

Or else accept the fact that this isn't one of the battles that you
have to win, and wait for the natural end. Of course, your having
tried to limit her MAY mean that the natural end of pacifier use will
be quite delayed and she will want to keep it well beyond where
normally it wouldn't be of interest any more because she feels that
you are trying to put something over on her so she might become more
determined to have it.

trying to go back to work and the day cares don't allow them to have them
all day so I am hoping this will help with the end of the passy!!

grandma Rosalie