More on the nursing strike - day 6

Old March 20th 04, 10:24 PM
Cathy

Default More on the nursing strike - day 6

Well, DD (14 months is still fighting the breast. I am offering, but she
just squirms and screams. She saw me expressing this a.m. and looked really
keen, so I got her teddy and said 'teddy likes milkies', and then tried DD,
but no. She seems better in herself, the sore throat looks less red, and
she slept a lot better last night. She is hardly eating anything, which
wasn't a big deal when she was taking milk, but now she is hardly drinking
any water either, and has not enough wet nappies during the day. I have
tried nursing her while asleep, but failed (she was asleep on me - normally
she sleeps in her cot face down, so that makes it tricky!). Today she might
have to have a sleep in her carseat, so if she does, I'll try there. And
I'm going to have to wake her up soon, so I'll try and do it gently, and see
if I can try nursing before she wakes fully. But the supply is dwindling -
I can get about 5 oz total for the day, and I am beginning to think that
perhaps I should just leave it, and say that she weaned herself. I just
can't think of what else to do - she has always been very cuddly, but no
longer seems to like (or need) the closeness.

Cathy

Old March 20th 04, 10:34 PM
Jacqui C

"Cathy" wrote in message
[...]

I'm sorry that she hasn't taken any more interest, but don't give up yet
(unless you choose to!). You are pumping to keep your supply going, and she
just might decide nurse again.

As for me, DS just isn't interested. I've decided to let it be - he's
self-weaned. I'm kinda disappointed that I didn't get any warning or any
say in the matter - it's not how I imagined our nursing relationship would
end. Oh well.......

Good luck,

Jacqui

Old March 21st 04, 03:04 AM
Kereru

"Cathy" wrote in message
[...]

Hopefully it's just a blip and she'll get back into it. If she does stop
don't worry about the cuddles, you'll still get heaps! I know it's a major
change but you soon get used to it :-)

Good Luck

Judy

Old March 21st 04, 05:29 PM
Cheryl S.

"Cathy" wrote in message
perhaps I should just leave it, and say that she weaned herself. I

just
can't think of what else to do - she has always been very cuddly, but

no
longer seems to like (or need) the closeness.

When Julie weaned herself (also at 14 months BTW) she took to having me
read to her as a replacement for nursing. It was just as cuddly, though
it was definitely a bigger adjustment for me than for her. The end came
as a sad surprise to me as well, though looking back it shouldn't have
been so unexpected. She had been cutting back gradually and was only
nursing first thing in the morning, for a shorter and shorter time. One
morning I got us set up in the rocking chair as usual, but instead of
latching on she just looked at my nipple quizzically. I said to her,
"Go on, nurse, if you want to." then took a deep breath and said, "but
if you don't want to, you don't have to." She thought for a second, put
her mouth to me but didn't latch, then pulled away and I knew right then
that was the end. Then I read her a book while struggling to hold back
tears. I can't remember if it was her idea or mine to read the book,
but from that point on she asked me to read to her whenever she wanted
the emotional comfort that nursing had once provided.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 6 months

Old March 21st 04, 10:47 PM
elizabeth emerald

"Cheryl S." wrote in message
"Cathy" wrote in message
[...]

now you've made me cry reading that. it sounds so beautiful and sad at the
same time. i will miss breastfeeding so much when DS decides to stop. i know
it is what the bub wants, but it sounds so emotionally wrenching when it
comes before the mum is ready. at present DS is 3-4 times a day, so i hope
it will be a little longer.

as for the OP, i hope she falls in love with the boob again when she is
feeling a little better. fingers crossed.
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

Old March 22nd 04, 03:20 AM
Cathy

Jacqui C wrote:
"Cathy" wrote in message
Well, DD (14 months is still fighting the breast. I am offering,
but she just squirms and screams. She saw me expressing this a.m.
and looked really keen, so I got her teddy and said 'teddy likes
milkies', and then tried DD, but no. She seems better in herself,
the sore throat looks less red, and she slept a lot better last
night

I'm sorry that she hasn't taken any more interest, but don't give up
yet (unless you choose to!). You are pumping to keep your supply
going, and she just might decide nurse again.

As for me, DS just isn't interested. I've decided to let it be - he's
self-weaned. I'm kinda disappointed that I didn't get any warning or
any say in the matter - it's not how I imagined our nursing
relationship would end. Oh well.......

Good luck,

Jacqui

That's how I feel - it's not how I imagined it would end. I would say now
that DD is about 95% well again - still got the squits from the darned
antibiotics, but that is about it. She looks as though she wants to nurse -
she saw me expressing today, and got really up tight and looked as though
she wanted milk, but wouldn't take the breast. I think I'll keep going till
her eye tooth is through, as that won't be helping, and the if she still
decides she doesn't want it, then that's o.k. She's had a pretty good
start, and this is her first illness other than minor colds.

Cathy

Old March 22nd 04, 03:23 AM
Cathy

Kereru wrote:

Hopefully it's just a blip and she'll get back into it. If she does
stop don't worry about the cuddles, you'll still get heaps! I know
it's a major change but you soon get used to it :-)

Good Luck

Judy

Thanks, but I am suspecting it is a terminal blip. I am getting lots of
cuddles, but they are mainly at 2 in the morning, and as I think I'm getting
her bug, I could do without them! I think back to 7 months ago, when I had
to consult an LC, and I was all set to give up then, as nursing was so
painful. So DD got a 'bonus' 7 months.

Cathy

Old March 22nd 04, 03:24 AM
Cathy

Cheryl S. wrote:
"Cathy" wrote in message
[...]

That is so neat, but sad. DD is very in to books, and will often come and
plonk down in my lap to read a book. I'll just have to look at that as
cuddle time instead.

Cathy

Old March 22nd 04, 03:27 AM
Cathy

elizabeth emerald wrote:
"Cheryl S." wrote in message
"Cathy" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks (as the OP), but I'm not holding my breath. My biggest concern now
is how to give her the fluid that she was previously getting from milk -
yesterday was worrying, as she has about 3 wet nappies all day. Oh well -
I'll just have to assume that if she is thirsty, she'll drink, and if she
isn't, she won't. I hope you are emotionally ready for it Elizabeth when
your DS decides enough is enough.

Thanks,
Cathy

Old March 23rd 04, 08:32 PM
Cheryl S.

"elizabeth emerald" wrote in message
now you've made me cry reading that. it sounds so beautiful
and sad at the same time.

It almost made me cry writing it too.

i will miss breastfeeding so much
when DS decides to stop. i know it is what the bub wants,
but it sounds so emotionally wrenching when it comes
before the mum is ready. at present DS is 3-4 times a day,
so i hope it will be a little longer.

Yes but as people pointed out to me at the time, better that she stop
before I was ready, than for me to stop before she's ready. It is an
emotional transition to be sure, though now, I am glad I let her do what
she wanted rather than try to get her to continue. I had originally
thought she would nurse at least to age 2, but by the time she actually
turned 2, I really couldn't imagine still nursing at that point and was
glad she had quit on her own terms. At 3-4 times a day I would imagine
your DS is going to continue for at least a few more months yet, if not
years! Whenever weaning comes, it'll be OK. The closeness is still
there, just expressed in new ways that you will have to find for
yourselves.