off, on, off, on, off, on...

Old December 12th 03, 02:11 PM
Sara

Default off, on, off, on, off, on...

Ollie's started doing this really odd -- and annoying -- thing during
the night. He'll latch on for five to ten seconds, then pop off for
ten seconds, then back on... This can go on for fifteen minutes or
more. It's painful for me, and I don't think it's satisfying for him,
either. We've tried offering him water and solids, but he's not
interested. He's not fully awake while he does this.

Advice?

--
Sara, tired
Old December 12th 03, 02:46 PM
Sara

In article ,
Molly Fisher wrote:

DD, 15 months, does this when she's getting a new tooth. Maybe something
hurts? Ears?

That's an idea. But... nothing seems to be hurting during the day,
though, and it doesn't happen every night. He isn't rubbing his ears,
and I don't see any signs of teething.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old December 12th 03, 08:08 PM
Andrea

"Sara" wrote in message ...

Ollie's started doing this really odd -- and annoying -- thing during
the night. He'll latch on for five to ten seconds, then pop off for
ten seconds, then back on... This can go on for fifteen minutes or
more. It's painful for me, and I don't think it's satisfying for him,
either. We've tried offering him water and solids, but he's not
interested. He's not fully awake while he does this.

Advice?

--
Sara, tired

If he isn't fully awake there's your answer. He drifts off on the boob, then
when he wakes he remembers what he was doing and latches back on. Then
remembers again.
Also he's like my Kami, if it's there he will latch on, even if he isn't
hungry. I wear a nightdree in bed, so when he's hungry I latch him on, then
when he messes about I pull my nightie back up, and give him a soother.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 6 months still nursing strong
with 2 teeth!

Old December 13th 03, 02:14 AM
Chotii

"Sara" wrote in message
Ollie's started doing this really odd -- and annoying -- thing during
the night. He'll latch on for five to ten seconds, then pop off for
ten seconds, then back on... This can go on for fifteen minutes or
more. It's painful for me, and I don't think it's satisfying for him,
either. We've tried offering him water and solids, but he's not
interested. He's not fully awake while he does this.

He wouldn't be about four months old, would he? G-baby is doing this now:
on, suck, swallow. Off, stare up at mamma. On, suck, swallow. Repeat
248752093842835 times or until mamma forcibly holds baby's head to the
breast, or says 'end of feeding session'.

I think it's a stage. I have not yet had to straightjacket her (with baby
blankets) and feed her lying down in bed in the dark (as I did with 2 of her
older sisters) but I suppose that's coming.

--angela

Old December 13th 03, 07:39 AM
teapot

Sara wrote in message ...
Ollie's started doing this really odd -- and annoying -- thing during
the night. He'll latch on for five to ten seconds, then pop off for
ten seconds, then back on... This can go on for fifteen minutes or
more. It's painful for me, and I don't think it's satisfying for him,
either. We've tried offering him water and solids, but he's not
interested. He's not fully awake while he does this.

Advice?

Does he really want feeding? If so I'd wake him up gently, change his
nappy or something just so you don't have to try to feed a sleeping
sprog. I found this happened with the Moo if I nursed him before he
was properly awake. He does it in the day too but only because he
thinks its funny, toad :-)

teapot and 6 month moo
Old December 13th 03, 07:26 PM
Sara

Chotii wrote:

"Sara" wrote in message
Ollie's started doing this really odd -- and annoying -- thing during
the night. He'll latch on for five to ten seconds, then pop off for
ten seconds, then back on... This can go on for fifteen minutes or
more. It's painful for me, and I don't think it's satisfying for him,
either. We've tried offering him water and solids, but he's not
interested. He's not fully awake while he does this.

He wouldn't be about four months old, would he? G-baby is doing this now:
on, suck, swallow. Off, stare up at mamma. On, suck, swallow. Repeat
248752093842835 times or until mamma forcibly holds baby's head to the
breast, or says 'end of feeding session'.

Nope, 14 months today. Holding him in place or telling him it's over
leads to heartbroken crying.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old December 13th 03, 07:28 PM
Sara

teapot wrote:

Sara wrote in message
Ollie's started doing this really odd -- and annoying -- thing during
the night. He'll latch on for five to ten seconds, then pop off for
ten seconds, then back on... This can go on for fifteen minutes or
more. It's painful for me, and I don't think it's satisfying for him,
either. We've tried offering him water and solids, but he's not
interested. He's not fully awake while he does this.

Advice?

Does he really want feeding?

Perhaps not. I'm starting to think it could be either a sore throat
(the heat is on), or a supply issue -- he was doing it at 2 a.m. today
and I don't think he got much milk, but then at 5 a.m. he wasn't doing
it and milk was all over the place. Chicken, egg?

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old December 15th 03, 10:03 PM
Michelle Spina

Sara wrote in message ...
Chotii wrote:

"Sara" wrote in message
Ollie's started doing this really odd -- and annoying -- thing during
the night. He'll latch on for five to ten seconds, then pop off for
ten seconds, then back on... This can go on for fifteen minutes or
more. It's painful for me, and I don't think it's satisfying for him,
either. We've tried offering him water and solids, but he's not
interested. He's not fully awake while he does this.

He wouldn't be about four months old, would he? G-baby is doing this now:
on, suck, swallow. Off, stare up at mamma. On, suck, swallow. Repeat
248752093842835 times or until mamma forcibly holds baby's head to the
breast, or says 'end of feeding session'.

Nope, 14 months today. Holding him in place or telling him it's over
leads to heartbroken crying.

Geez, Sara, we have to stop having this parallel life! I can't count
how many times I've been feeling at the end of my rope with Lauren's
new behavior, and come here to read you and Ollie are going through
the *exact* same thing!

No advice or explanation, just "yup, me too." Must be some kind of
stage, although I don't remember it with James (I could have blocked
it from my memory, however, given how tired it makes you! It's not a
great memory I'll be cherishing for years to come...).

Hang in there - and here's hoping that it comes to an end soon!

m.