Holiday presents for the neighbors kids?

Old December 5th 03, 07:40 PM
P. Tierney

Default Holiday presents for the neighbors kids?

Do you buy them for your toddler's playmates/friends?
It's probably a base question, but I don't know at all.
I don't buy presents for anyone outside the family,
while my spouse buys them for nearly every friend.
So, we've got two different operating systems at
work. Thoughts? Thx.

P. Tierney

Old December 5th 03, 07:46 PM
Sophie

"P. Tierney" wrote in message
Do you buy them for your toddler's playmates/friends?
It's probably a base question, but I don't know at all.
I don't buy presents for anyone outside the family,
while my spouse buys them for nearly every friend.
So, we've got two different operating systems at
work. Thoughts? Thx.

P. Tierney

No, I'd be broke. I only buy presents for my children's friends' birthdays.

This yr the only people outside of family I bought gifts for were my 4 close
friends who have all moved within the last few months (1 to Maryland, 2 to
England, and 1 to Morocco).

Old December 5th 03, 08:00 PM
Clisby

P. Tierney wrote:
Do you buy them for your toddler's playmates/friends?
It's probably a base question, but I don't know at all.
I don't buy presents for anyone outside the family,
while my spouse buys them for nearly every friend.
So, we've got two different operating systems at
work. Thoughts? Thx.

P. Tierney

No. The last thing I'd want is to have my toddler's playmates all
contribute yet another thing to my household, so I'm not going to do it
either.

My almost-2-year-old has just been invited to a birthday party, and I
was overjoyed to see that the invitation said "no gifts".

Clisby

Old December 5th 03, 08:27 PM
HollyLewis

Do you buy them for your toddler's playmates/friends?

No. But we also don't buy gifts for many friends, as a rule. We *do* tend to
bring plates of cookies to the neighbors -- copious cookie baking being one of
our holiday traditions. And last year DS made tree ornaments to give to a few
regular playmates and caregivers (as well as relatives). I think that sort of
consumable and/or handmade gift would be very appropriate for kids in a
playgroup, neighbors with whom your child plays, etc. But I wouldn't go out
and buy toys.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old December 5th 03, 09:19 PM
Sue

No I only buy presents for the girls friends if they are invited to a their
birthday party. I would be broke if I bought something for everyone. I
usually just buy for family. I do go in on donations for the teachers and
brownie leaders, but that is about it.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 5th 03, 11:08 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

P. Tierney wrote:

Do you buy them for your toddler's playmates/friends?
It's probably a base question, but I don't know at all.
I don't buy presents for anyone outside the family,
while my spouse buys them for nearly every friend.
So, we've got two different operating systems at
work. Thoughts? Thx.

P. Tierney

Ack! no. We barely buy gifts for our own family members Most kids I
know - even toddlers - have more toys than they could possibly play with
and more than most parents can handle. I'm not sure parents would
necessarily be happy to get yet more toys to clutter up the house.

Jeanne
Old December 5th 03, 11:25 PM
Jenn

In article ,
Bruce and Jeanne wrote:

P. Tierney wrote:

Do you buy them for your toddler's playmates/friends?
It's probably a base question, but I don't know at all.
I don't buy presents for anyone outside the family,
while my spouse buys them for nearly every friend.
So, we've got two different operating systems at
work. Thoughts? Thx.

P. Tierney

Ack! no. We barely buy gifts for our own family members Most kids I
know - even toddlers - have more toys than they could possibly play with
and more than most parents can handle. I'm not sure parents would
necessarily be happy to get yet more toys to clutter up the house.

Jeanne

we waited until the kids were older and had specific close friends --
those friends then usually exchanged gifts -- chosen by their friends
[we provided some Christmas money for them to work with] The trend
towards parent steered gifts on every occasion, thank you notes for
children's party gifts etc etc is one of those hassle escalation trends
to be resisted.
Old December 6th 03, 03:04 AM
Ericka Kammerer

P. Tierney wrote:

Do you buy them for your toddler's playmates/friends?
It's probably a base question, but I don't know at all.
I don't buy presents for anyone outside the family,
while my spouse buys them for nearly every friend.
So, we've got two different operating systems at
work. Thoughts? Thx.

Don't. It ups the ante for everyone, because
they'll feel bad they didn't have something for you.
If I were having a neighborhood holiday party, I'd
have some party favors and such, but I wouldn't give
gifts around the neighborhood unless it was something
simple like a plate of homemade cookies (close friends
excepted, of course).

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old December 6th 03, 07:11 AM
Kereru

"P. Tierney" wrote in message
Do you buy them for your toddler's playmates/friends?
It's probably a base question, but I don't know at all.
I don't buy presents for anyone outside the family,
while my spouse buys them for nearly every friend.
So, we've got two different operating systems at
work. Thoughts? Thx.

P. Tierney

We organise a big get together for coffee at someones house, eveyone brings
a plate of party food and eveyone buys one present of agreed value and then
the kids pick a present out each. It works really well. Every parent only
has to buy one present and you don't end up with loads of junk because
everyone has had to scimp in order to try to afford presents for so many
kids.

Judy

Old December 7th 03, 04:15 AM
laurie

Do you buy them for your toddler's playmates/friends?
It's probably a base question, but I don't know at all.
I don't buy presents for anyone outside the family,
while my spouse buys them for nearly every friend.
So, we've got two different operating systems at

work. Thoughts? Thx.

P. Tierney

I only buy them for a couple of close friends children, not the ones we know
only from playgroups and story time.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 2.5 years and
Christopher, 7.5 months

Neighbors jerks to our kids Greg General 37 September 25th 05 01:54 AM
Kids should work !!! Kane General 57 December 3rd 03 06:17 AM
Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school? Vicki General 215 November 1st 03 09:07 PM
FWD bad judgement or abuse Trunk kids begged to ride Kane General 2 August 5th 03 05:54 PM