Need Advice (long)

Old March 18th 04, 06:53 PM
Jennifer

Default Need Advice (long)

I have been mostly a lurker but have posted a few times. I have learned so
much from all of you. I have a problem that I hope you can help me with.

Background: My DS was born on 9/30/03 at 9 lbs. 5 ozs. His discharge weight
was 8 lbs 7 ozs. He now weighs 14 lbs. The doctor is a little concerned
that he is not gaining at the rate that he would like. He is still gaining
in length (21" at birth, 27" now) He has dropped off of his curve and is
setting his own curve and he even started to level out. The doctor says
that this sometimes happens but wants to make sure there are no other
medical reasons. He has four teeth in and two more almost in. Up until
last Thursday he would not take a bottle and has been exclusively bf. I had
been pumping and storing but since he would not take a bottle (nor a
syringe, sippy cup, spoon, cup, dropper, etc) I didn't have a very big
supply.

At DS's four month appointment the doctor said to add more calories to his
feeds to see if this would help him gain some weight. He suggested trying
rice cereal but that if he started to eat more cereal than breast milk to
cut back on the cereal. We tried the cereal and he didn't much care for it
so we didn't feed him much. At his five month visit he still had only
gained a little weight so the doctor said I could try other foods and I
could give him some of my oatmeal (he seemed really interested in it). I
have tried sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes and he really liked them.
Yesterday I took him to a 5 1/2 month visit for a weight check and he gained
13 ozs in two weeks (doctor is very happy)! This is better than he has been
doing. Last Thursday he just decided to take a bottle. He has been taking
formula because I don't have enough ebm for him. I am trying to build up a
supply but it takes time.

My questions:
1. Until I have more ebm for him and I have to supplement is there a formula
that is better than the others? (Doctor said soy is sometimes better because
it tastes a little sweeter so bf babies may more readily take it)
2. Can I give him small pieces of finger food and let him feed himself?
What type of food do you suggest? (There are no allergies in either my or
DH's family)
3. I can only pump 3-4 ozs in the AM and 3 ozs in the PM (right now I go
home at lunch and bf him). What can I do to increase the amount I get? (I
have been eating oatmeal every day and it has helped a little)
4. How many ozs should he be taking at this age?

Sorry this is so long. Thank you for your help,

Jennifer

Old March 19th 04, 12:18 AM
Laura and Bella

I think that a 5 month old at 14 lbs is good, geesh!! My daughter, went for
her MMR shot, shes 13 months old now, shes not quite 28 inches long, and is
almost 20lbs! So I would not worry about weight. And your son was born at
9lbs 5oz. He is gaining a little over a 1lb a month. I myself dont see
anyting wrong with that.
As far as your questions go.
1. I really dont know much about formula to say which one is better over
the others. There were a few times I gave formula to Bella and we gave her
enfimil (sp?) it was already mixed inthe can, so it was ready to go.

2. at 5 months I would not rally do finger food, but that is just me. what
about puree foods, like carrorts, squash, sweet potatoe, fruits and so much
more. I guess all babys r different. I started bella on finger foods
around 8-9 months, its only been the last month or so shes been big on them.

3. I would take fenu greek. I use to take 6 pills, 2 at a time 3X a day. I
found that helped. also dronking lots of water, and i ate lots of oatmeal.
I am sure there is a lot mor out there u can take.

4. cant help u much with this question either. I have breastfeed, and
still am, our daughter.

best of luck

Laura

Old March 19th 04, 02:59 AM
Ralph Flikweert

I can maybe help with the first question but my dd is only 3 months so she
is not into any solids yet. The formula that I reccommend is Enfamil A+
apparently it is the closest to breast milk yet. I have given my dd some
when I have had to supplement and she seems to not realize a difference. I
also heard the soy kind is good but have not tried it. hope i helped.
Michelle

Old March 19th 04, 04:54 PM
Jennifer

Thank you for the information. I think the doctor is more concerned because
between two and four months old he only gained one pound. He had been
averaging less than one pound per month until about two weeks ago when we
started supplementing with formula. Hopefully I can start pumping more so we
won't have to use formula. Up until the time he decided to take a bottle, he
would not eat during the day while I was at work. So what we have done is
add two more feedings to his schedule using formula.

I have tried pureed food and he is not very interested. He is much more
interested in my food and will sometimes grab it off my plate. This is how I
found out he liked baked potatoes. Maybe if I make my own pureed food he
will take it. I will have to try that.

Thanks,

Jennifer

.. .

Old March 19th 04, 04:55 PM
Jennifer

I will have to look for that kind of formula in the store. Hopefully I will
be able to pump enough and not have to use formula.

Thanks,

Jennifer

.cable.rogers.com...

Old March 19th 04, 05:26 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Jennifer wrote:

3. I can only pump 3-4 ozs in the AM and 3 ozs in the PM (right now I go
home at lunch and bf him).

That's actually quite a bit. I think the average person only gets 3
ounces per pumping session. Does he sleep through the night? If sleep
is less important to you than not combi-feeding, you might try waking
him for additional night nursings.

Phoebe

Old March 19th 04, 06:07 PM
Nikki

Jennifer wrote:
My questions:
1. Until I have more ebm for him and I have to supplement is there a
formula that is better than the others?

I think what ever the baby accepts is fine. I can't even remember what I
used. I think the cheapest follow-up formula I could find (Luke was about
6.5mo old). He took it so I never tried anything else.

(Doctor said soy is sometimes
better because it tastes a little sweeter so bf babies may more
readily take it)

I would personally try a milk based formula first.

2. Can I give him small pieces of finger food and let him feed
himself?

I started this at 6.5mos. Veggies and fruits steamed/cooked until very
soft. Bananas are easy to start with since you don't need to cook them. My
kids didn't like bananas though. I also made clumpy hot cereals and clumpy
rice they ate as finger foods.

3. I can only pump 3-4 ozs in the AM and 3 ozs in the PM (right now I
go home at lunch and bf him). What can I do to increase the amount I
get?

If you pump at the same time every day then you may notice an increase in
output. Some people have better output if they pump one side while the baby
nurses on the other. If I could have managed this at the first nursing
session after work I think I'd have gotten quite a bit. I couldn't make it
work though - uncoordinated I guess ;-) I pumped the most very early in the
morning - before the baby nursed. Drink plenty of water.

4. How many ozs should he be taking at this age?

Totally depends on the baby so it is hard to answer. Some babies don't care
much for the bottle so they'll only drink enough to get by and then nurse
more at home.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 19th 04, 06:39 PM
Jennifer

He does not sleep through the night (anymore). He started to at about 5
weeks old but then he started teething. In December he got two bottom teeth
and then in January he got two top teeth. Right now he is getting two more
teeth. He started nursing less often and for shorter periods of time. The
slow down in weight gain seemed to happen at the same time. Right now he
wakes two to three times during the night to eat but only nurses for 5
minutes or so before he falls asleep.

Old March 23rd 04, 05:32 AM
Al Bell

"Jennifer" writes:

I will have to look for that kind of formula in the store. Hopefully I will
be able to pump enough and not have to use formula.

- People say "start with pureed food" just because some babies have a hard
time eating food that's more solid without choking. If your baby likes to
eat chunkier food and can eat it without choking on it, go for it.

- If your son has trouble gaining weight, could you persuade him to eat,
say, avocado, or maybe avocado mixed with canola oil or some other oil
that has a bunch of omega 3 fatty acids in it?

- Some people here freak out at the mention of supplementing with formula.
We had to supplement my daughter with formula from week 9 to about week
54, and now we're 17 months along and I'm still nursing (depending on how
you count it) 5 times a day on weekdays and about 10 times a day on
weekends. So, even if your son seems to fall in love with formula for
awhile, don't assume that means you have to wean him. Just offer the
breast as much as is practical and trust in the nursing gods.