Sleeping for little ones?

Old August 23rd 07, 07:31 AM posted to misc.kids
xkatx

Default Sleeping for little ones?

I'm thinking bed times and nap times here are way off par. I'm wondering
what others are at to see if I really should try and make some adjustments.
DS is 6.5
Bed time: Around 8pm
Wake time: Around 8am
Nap times: None
Total sleep: 12 hours

DD1 just turned 2
Bed time: Around 730pm
Wake time: Around 830pm
Nap times: About 11am-1pm, 3pm-5pm
Total sleep: 17 hours

DD2 is 10 months
Bed time: Around 8pm
Wake time: Around 8am
Nap times: About 10am-1pm, 3pm-5pm
Total sleep: 17 hours

To me, something doesn't seem right with that. I think DS's sleeping is
just fine. It's kind of go with the flow. On occasion he'll pass out and
have a nap in the mid-afternoon if he's been real busy playing outside, and
every now and then if we have a busy day, he'll pass out in the van on the
way home. That's rare for both cases, though.

DD1, though, seems to sleep a lot and not have too much time up and about.
She normally goes for naps just fine, and she's normally sleepy when I
figure it's time to go for a nap. She gets cranky and somewhat difficult
(or typical for a 2 year old!) if she misses a nap during the day or
something.

DD2 seems to be tired as well. So she goes for a nap. She's often tired
before the example times, so sometimes she might go earlier or later, but
she just seems so tired often. After being up and about for maybe an hour,
it's almost like she's ready for a nap already. I try and stretch her out
to kinda go with DD1 to give me a slight break to think, relax, catch up on
house work or even nap myself while both girls are sleeping and DS is in his
room or he used to often watch TV on my bed while I snoozed a bit.

Do these sleep schedules make sense? Should I adjust any? I just find,
mostly, that DD1 seems to spend, still, most of her time sleeping, yet I
sometimes really do see and feel she needs it. Any suggestions? (assuming
any of this makes any sense at all!)

Old August 23rd 07, 10:59 AM posted to misc.kids
Aula

"xkatx" wrote in message news:gR9zi.491$bO6.136@edtnps89...
I'm thinking bed times and nap times here are way off par. I'm wondering
what others are at to see if I really should try and make some
adjustments.
DS is 6.5
Bed time: Around 8pm
Wake time: Around 8am
Nap times: None
Total sleep: 12 hours

DD1 just turned 2
Bed time: Around 730pm
Wake time: Around 830pm
Nap times: About 11am-1pm, 3pm-5pm
Total sleep: 17 hours

DD2 is 10 months
Bed time: Around 8pm
Wake time: Around 8am
Nap times: About 10am-1pm, 3pm-5pm
Total sleep: 17 hours

From what you said about kids acting sleepy before naps, this seems to be
meeting their needs. If, however, you think DD1 is just habitually sleepy
for both nap times and would do just fine on one, cut out the morning nap,
move the afternoon nap up to about 1 or 2 and see how she's doing after
she's had time to adjust to the new schedule. Some kids just need more
sleep than others so it is hard to compare in order to evaluate, so take
their cues on it all.

Aula

Old August 23rd 07, 12:15 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

xkatx wrote:
[...]

You should adjust them based on their needs. DS needs his sleep time
adjusted so he is awake and ready for school. The others sleep schedules
need to be so that they are awake and able to learn at home. So their
sleep schedules sounds fine, but, because every kid needs different
amounts of sleep, they need to be adjusted based on their individual needs.

Jeff
Old August 23rd 07, 01:46 PM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article gR9zi.491$bO6.136@edtnps89, "xkatx" wrote:

I'm thinking bed times and nap times here are way off par. I'm wondering
what others are at to see if I really should try and make some adjustments.
DS is 6.5
Bed time: Around 8pm
Wake time: Around 8am
Nap times: None
Total sleep: 12 hours

I'm jealous. Mine is the same age but sleeps 9:30-7!

DD1 just turned 2
Bed time: Around 730pm
Wake time: Around 830pm
Nap times: About 11am-1pm, 3pm-5pm
Total sleep: 17 hours

Mine is 2.25yo. He sleeps 9-6:30 but wakes at least twice a night :-( He
also has a daytime sleep of 1-2hrs.

DD2 is 10 months
Bed time: Around 8pm
Wake time: Around 8am
Nap times: About 10am-1pm, 3pm-5pm
Total sleep: 17 hours

Do these sleep schedules make sense? Should I adjust any? I just find,
mostly, that DD1 seems to spend, still, most of her time sleeping, yet I
sometimes really do see and feel she needs it. Any suggestions? (assuming
any of this makes any sense at all!)

I don't think they sound unusual. 10mo is still a baby. Is she eating a lot
atm? I associate increased sleep and eating with growth spurts. Sooner or
later she will drop her morning sleep, but it sounds like it might be "later".
I don't think there's any advantage in attempting to make major changes to a
child's sleep patterns; it's likely to produce an overtired child, and that's
uuuugly! Babies are very mentally active and life is pretty tiring for them.
When did she drop from 3 naps to 2? If it wasn't too long ago, she might
still be adjusting.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old August 23rd 07, 04:48 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 06:31:40 GMT, "xkatx" wrote:

DD1 just turned 2
Bed time: Around 730pm
Wake time: Around 830pm
Nap times: About 11am-1pm, 3pm-5pm
Total sleep: 17 hours

I would say this is quite unusual for a 2 year old. Most children
pare down to one nap by 18 months or so.

Mine went to bed earlier when they were 2 (around 7 pm, but they woke
up earlier too - generally around 6:30 or 7 am). They napped from 1
to 3 or 4 depending on how tired they were. So total sleep at 2 was
13 to 15 hours depending on the day.

Here's a sleep chart:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_chart-ho...d-need_7645.bc

Age Nighttime Sleep Daytime Sleep * Total Sleep
1 month 8 1/2 7 (3) 15 1/2
3 months 10 5 (3) 15
6 months 11 3 1/4 (2) 14 1/4
9 months 11 3 (2) 14
12 months 11 1/4 2 1/2 (2) 13 3/4
18 months 11 1/4 2 1/4 (1) 13 1/2
2 years 11 2 (1) 13
3 years 10 1/2 1 1/2 (1) 12

* number of naps in parentheses

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old August 24th 07, 02:31 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

it seems like all your kids have fairly high sleep needs, so I might dig
around to see if there was any reason why this might be the case, so
find out from your own family and the inlaws what you and your partner
we like for sleeping as children.

I think needing a lot of sleep in and of itself is not a problem, but it
may be that your DS will struggle with those sleep needs and full time
school.

You might check over the diet they are eating to ensure they are getting
enough of the right kind of things. Children need an awful lot more fat
than adults, but it also needs to be the right kind of fat, see
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6948204.stm

It's your DD1 that is most off from average and is probably at an age
where she really needs the alert times to be doing things like
developing her speech, do you have an annual check up or anything - you
might mention it to her doctor, just so it's there, on record, on the
off chance that there are any problems with anything else.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 24th 07, 05:28 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

The babies are 16mos and sleep from 7:30pm-7am or there abouts and then nap
between 2-3 hous. 11am-1-2pm. We just switched to a once a day nap. They
are really tired by 7:30 - I wish they could make it past 11am. Hopefully
they will adjust and be able to do that soon.

Being awake 7.30-11 is pretty good for 16mths old, so don't get your
hopes up too high. DD was 16mths when we moved here, and DS started a
going to preschool at 12.15, for the first couple of months, I had her
nap before that and after pick up, then switched to one that was during
preschool and it was HARD to get her to stay awake that long. Not long
before she was 2, I decided I needed to switch it to after preschool as
we were having grumpiness in the evening, again, HARD to do, such that
during the summer I've brought it earlier by about an hour. My
experience has definitely been that getting through the morning is more
a 2nd half of the 2nd year thing than first half. Hope you are able to
work around school and everything - DS is in morning preschool next year
and I'm trying to schedule other activities around DDs nap and it's not
very easy and of course her needs could change!

Cheers
Anne
Old December 24th 07, 05:19 AM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

"xkatx" wrote in message news:gR9zi.491$bO6.136@edtnps89...
I'm thinking bed times and nap times here are way off par. I'm wondering
what others are at to see if I really should try and make some
adjustments.
DS is 6.5
Bed time: Around 8pm
Wake time: Around 8am
Nap times: None
Total sleep: 12 hours

Luke goes to sleep between 8:30-9pm and wakes up between 6:30-7am. I think
he probably needs a little more sleep but that is what we manage. 10-11
hours.

The babies are 16mos and sleep from 7:30pm-7am or there abouts and then nap
between 2-3 hous. 11am-1-2pm. We just switched to a once a day nap. They
are really tired by 7:30 - I wish they could make it past 11am. Hopefully
they will adjust and be able to do that soon.

I think the amount of sleep your kids are getting is fine as long as they
are energetic etc. while they are awake. If they seem tired all the time,
easily fatigued, or lethargic during their awake times I'd talk to your doc.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old December 24th 07, 02:19 PM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. ..

Being awake 7.30-11 is pretty good for 16mths old, so don't get your hopes
up too high. DD was 16mths when we moved here, and DS started a going to
preschool at 12.15, for the first couple of months, I had her nap before
that and after pick up, then switched to one that was during preschool and
it was HARD to get her to stay awake that long.

Luke is on 6yo but I forget these things!!

That nap schedule actually works OK with other things. We switched it to
once a day so they wouldn't be napping at 3:30 when the big kids get out of
school. They are just tired and cranky by bedtime but that isn't to bad.

I'm glad to have sort of a time line in my head. I think dh (who is home
with them during the day M-F) is just as ready by 11am as they are, lol.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Co-sleeping help? rae Breastfeeding 4 November 28th 06 04:00 AM
Co-sleeping and BF [email protected] Breastfeeding 10 June 8th 06 08:45 AM
co-sleeping while away? Linda Breastfeeding 10 March 22nd 06 01:26 PM
co-sleeping to solo-sleeping jojo General 11 January 14th 05 12:45 AM
peer reviewed research on co-sleeping (it's more dangerous than cot-sleeping) Joshua Levy General 1 December 10th 03 06:27 AM