Changing table?

Old October 7th 03, 03:26 PM
Jill

Default Changing table?

I was just wondering if this item is something most new moms have these
days. I am not shopping yet but am trying to plan ahead for what I will
need....and of course other people are trying to advise me on what I will
need. I'm just wondering what is the big deal with a changing table?? My mom
acts like I have to get one, but my husband and I are on a budget....my mom
never had a changing table nor did any of her peers, but now she insists
that everyone gets one to match their crib. Whatever happened to just
changing the baby on a spare bed, lol???

I am not really worried about what people tell me I have to get, just
curious if I would be missing out on some great convenience or something. We
pared from 2 incomes down to one and it is a hard adjustment...I am more
concerned about getting a good quality crib, car seat, and stroller than
shelling out for a changing table...

Old October 7th 03, 03:33 PM
kadunk

In article , Jill wrote:
curious if I would be missing out on some great convenience or something. We
pared from 2 incomes down to one and it is a hard adjustment...I am more
concerned about getting a good quality crib, car seat, and stroller than
shelling out for a changing table...

Jill,
I can't tell you whether you should have one or not, but let me tell you
what my husband and I are planning.

We're buying a used changing table/dresser combo unit from a friend who no
longer needs it. It doesn't match a thing, but that's fine with me. But,
I think it'll be useful for storing clothing, diapers, and the like. And
it's a comfortable height at which to change the baby, avoiding sore backs
from leaning too far over.

Good luck with your options!

-Kim

--

kim dunkelberg
i'm just a girl in the world

Old October 7th 03, 03:43 PM
Nina

"Jill" wrote in message
m...
I was just wondering if this item is something most new moms have these
days. I am not shopping yet but am trying to plan ahead for what I will
need....and of course other people are trying to advise me on what I will
need. I'm just wondering what is the big deal with a changing table??

I changed mine on whatever flat surface was available: bed,crib, floor,
couch, etc. All you need is a blanket to place the baby on.

Old October 7th 03, 03:47 PM
Carol Ann

:I am more
: concerned about getting a good quality crib, car seat, and stroller than
: shelling out for a changing table...

It's a convenience item. If you don't want it, don't get it. Personally, I
want one. I prefer to have all of the items I will need in one nice
organized place.

Perhaps your mother can buy you one as a gift. It's nice that you are still
talking to her about the baby and preparations.

~Carol Ann

Old October 7th 03, 04:19 PM
Nikki

Jill wrote:
I was just wondering if this item is something most new moms have
these days.

I have never had one and have been changing diapers for 4.5 years and I
don't regret not having one :-) I use the floor or bed. I used the crib
sometimes with Luke so I could change hime without the 2yo doing the baby
changing dance over his head ;-)

My vote is for saving your money!
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old October 7th 03, 04:19 PM
Karen

You could always use a dresser you already have a attach one of those
changing pads (the shaped foam/vinyl things, they come with tabs along
one side which you screw to the back of whatever piece of furniture
you're using) to the top. I do think that having the changing area at a
comfortable height is important for your comfort-you might be changing
as many as 12 diapers a day at the start, after the most excruciating
physical experience of your life.

And also, believe me I speak from experience, once they are around 12-18
months on up until they're out of diapers, keeping them still from
rolling and climbing all over the place with a poopy diaper half hanging
off while you're trying to clean them up is very difficult on a bed!
Even at almost 3 1/2 years, I still dress and change ds up on the
changing table. He only wears a diaper at nighttime, so we do that on
the table, but even getting him dressed he tends to be all over the
place, and it's a lot easier for me to keep the situation under some
semblance of control up on the changing table.

-Karen, mom to Henry 3-

Old October 7th 03, 04:32 PM
Clisby

Jill wrote:
[...]

I didn't have one. Never missed it.

Clisby

Old October 7th 03, 04:39 PM
Sophie

"Jill" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I had one for my first and for only 4 months with my second (it broke during
a move). Honestly I really only used it as shelves. I stacked clothes on
it, diapers, and wipes.

If you're on a budget, spend the money on something else. It's not that
important a piece of baby equipment at all IMO.

Old October 7th 03, 04:40 PM
Ilse Witch

Jill wrote:

I am not really worried about what people tell me I have to get, just
curious if I would be missing out on some great convenience or something. We
pared from 2 incomes down to one and it is a hard adjustment...I am more
concerned about getting a good quality crib, car seat, and stroller than
shelling out for a changing table...

I find a changing table at good height a real blessing for my back.
You spend a lot of time changing your baby, dressing and undressing
him, and it is extremely practical if he is at a height that you
can easily access without twisting and turning.

You don't have to buy anything fancy though, just a simple drawer
cabinet will do. My impression is that naming it a changing table
immediately allows the manufacturer to charge you twice the price.
You may want to check out Ikea if you have one nearby, they have
loads of things that do equally well and are quite affordable.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (14m)

Old October 7th 03, 04:55 PM
little one

i am 22 weeks and have decided against a changing table. i have never
used one and don't see what good they would really do. after all, i am
used to just using a blanket or a towel on the floor or the bed like you
said. why have more furniture when you can invested that money in other
things such as teh car seat and stroller like you mentioned. perhaps
there are those out there that swear by them, but i am also on a budget
and would much rather the money be used for something else. of course
if someone happens to by me one, then i will probably use it...but am
not planning on buying it myself.

melanie