Kids Do Work!

Old December 6th 03, 06:10 PM
dejablues

Default Kids Do Work!

Burning up an occupied dollhouse and gazing upon roadkill?
Uh................

ChrisScaife wrote:

A kids job is to learn.
Kids just can't wait to start their job each day.
They constantly probe and explore their environment.
They watch their parents and emulate what they see.
Would you punish them for doing their job ?

They don't know what is wrong or right, or what is dangerous.
It is *your* job to teach them and keep them safe.
Should you punish them for emulating your language and behaviour ?

Hold their hand by busy roads.
Put child locks on kitchen cabinets.
Have child proof electric sockets.
Don't leave dangerous things lying around.

Use stories to explain the dangers.
Anxiety in your voice can convey a powerful message...
Try a demonstration...

The big bad wolf in the woods isn't relevant today.
Using a match to set light to a paper house with a paper doll in it is.
Showing them a squashed hedge hog by the road is.
Feeling the heat from a lightbulb is....

Have a safe play room or a play pen for when you can't watch.

What does spanking tell a child ?
It just means that you've failed in your job as a parent (and probably
have a nasty temper too)!

Old December 7th 03, 12:50 PM
ChrisScaife

"dejablues" wrote in message
Burning up an occupied dollhouse and gazing upon roadkill?
Uh................

An image is worth a thousand words.
Especially to a young child for whom language itself is a novelty.

Say you have a little toddler who runs to the car, straight across the road
when it's time to go...
What will make her/him stop and think next time ?

1: "How many-spank- times-spank- have I told-spank-you-spank... not
to -spank- run out-spank- in the road-spank-"

2: The mental image of a squashed animal on the side of the road with the
words "That can happen to children too if they run out in the road"

3: Reader's suggestion here...?

Take your pick, but everyday, for someone going "Uh...." at road kill it is
their dead child they are looking at.
Some things we can't afford to let them learn the hard way.

Kids should work !!! Kane General 57 December 3rd 03 07:17 AM
FWD bad judgement or abuse Trunk kids begged to ride Kane General 2 August 5th 03 05:54 PM