Is my son TOO SHORT for his age?

Old November 25th 03, 09:48 PM
sheenna

Default Is my son TOO SHORT for his age?

my son will be 6 on Dec4 and is only in the 30% percentile for his age. He has always been around 50% or so now it seems like he's not growing.

Old November 25th 03, 10:02 PM
Circe

"sheenna" wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
my son will be 6 on Dec4 and is only in the 30%
percentile for his age. He has always been around
50% or so now it seems like he's not growing.

I wouldn't worry at all. It's not unusual for kids to go up and down on the
percentile charts. They often grow in spurts--a lot at a time and then very
little for a while. My 6yo is well over the 90th percentile for height just
now (he might even be off the chart), but during most of his infancy and
toddlerhood, he hung around the 70th-80th percentile and that's where I
expect his adult height to top out (around 6'1", not 6'4"-5" as his current
height would suggest!). So it's likely that your son is just going through a
slow growth period at the moment and he'll get some rapid gains in height
later on.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [20mo] mom)

"Be prepare to stop" -- CalTrans sign

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old November 25th 03, 11:03 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article outparenting.com,
sheenna wrote:
my son will be 6 on Dec4 and is only in the 30% percentile for his age.
He has always been around 50% or so now it seems like he's not growing.

30%ile is certainly not "too short for his age" -- it's taller than 30%
of other kids his age! But you might want to ask the pediatrician what
he makes of the drop in percentiles. If you know your own growth pattern,
you might consider whether you had a similar drop in percentiles at a
similar age. Of course, he might just be due for a big growth spurt
next month

--Robyn
Old November 26th 03, 02:44 AM
Jeff

"sheenna" wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
my son will be 6 on Dec4 and is only in the 30% percentile for his age. He

has always been around 50% or so now it seems like he's not growing.

The drop in the percentile might just be that when he was 50% for his age,
he had shoes on or stood up straighter. 30% is normal.

Worry about the important things like he does his homework.

Jeff

Old November 26th 03, 04:03 AM
Jeff

"Jeff" wrote in message

"sheenna" wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
my son will be 6 on Dec4 and is only in the 30% percentile for his age.

He
has always been around 50% or so now it seems like he's not growing.

The drop in the percentile might just be that when he was 50% for his age,
he had shoes on or stood up straighter. 30% is normal.

Worry about the important things like he does his homework.

I didn't mean that height in not important, but only that you can do
anything about it, except follow it and see what happens with the doctors.
Instead, worry abou the things you can change.

Jeff

Jeff

Old November 26th 03, 04:22 AM
Nevermind

"sheenna" wrote in message alkaboutparenting.com...
my son will be 6 on Dec4 and is only in the 30% percentile for his age. He has always been around 50% or so now it seems like he's not growing.

Are you and/or your son's dad short? Some people have to be at the
30th percentile; some have to be at the 20th percentile; some have to
be at the 90th, etc.

You can't think about "too short" but "too short for _him_". That is,
if there is not actually a health problem that is preventing him from
growing, then he is the right height *for him*.

I come from a short family. It happens. . .
Old November 26th 03, 05:11 AM
dejablues

What does his pediatrician say? Are you and his father short? Does he eat
well? Does he have the energy to keep up with daily activities (and then
some, as most 6-year -olds do?)
Just keep track of the clothes that he outgrows..I bet in a few months
everything will be too small for him and you will have to get all new ones!

lkaboutparenting.com...

Old November 26th 03, 07:32 AM
Jenrose

"sheenna" wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
my son will be 6 on Dec4 and is only in the 30% percentile for his age. He

has always been around 50% or so now it seems like he's not growing.

My daughter didn't really grow at all between age 8 1/2 and age 10 1/2.
Then, Nov. 1, she woke up, and was 1 inch taller than she'd been the night
before. She grew another half inch before we could get her in to measure
her. Since her dr. appt. last week, she's grown at least another half inch,
probably closer to an inch. She did at least 1/2 inch between breakfast time
on Sunday and dinner time on Sunday--I know, because she went from being at
"just under chin height" to "if I lean forward, my chin bonks her" height.

She literally went at least a year and a half, probably closer to two years,
without growing an inch or gaining a pound. In the six months prior to that,
she gained 5 inches and 10-15 pounds.

That's just how she does it.

At birth, she was 7 lb 11 1/2 oz. At 2 weeks, 9 pounds. At 4 months, 20
pounds. We joked about how she would be the first 150 pound, 6 foot tall
3-year old. When she was 6 months old, she was 24 pounds. By 1 yr, she was
26 pounds. Right before she turned two, she was 27 pounds. Then she put on 3
pounds in 3 weeks and the dr. lectured me on how her height and weight were
not proportional. I ignored him. Good thing--because a few weeks later she
grew a couple inches!

At the moment, she's busily getting "spindly" around the middle...when she
was 8, she was just a tiny bit padded before her last growth spurt. But
right now, it doesn't seem to matter how much she eats, it all goes UP.
She's skinnier, proportionally, than she's ever been.
Jenrose

Old November 27th 03, 02:41 PM
Naomi Pardue

my son will be 6 on Dec4 and is only in the 30% percentile for his age. He
has always been around 50% or so now it seems like he's not growing.

The difference in height between 30% and 50% at 6 years of age is around an
inch. This is NOT cause for concern at all. Especially since kids do continue
to grow in 'spurts' beyond babyhood. He could be due to a growth spurt soon.
(And, if you havne't noticed any change in height for a while, that's probably
the case.) Or he could be beginning to settle into the height he is meant to
be as an adult. (And 30% is perfectly acceptable there too. We can't all be
basketball players.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)